1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PowerService Diesel Kleen - Interesting results?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Railslider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PowerService Diesel Kleen - Interesting results?

Hey everyone, first time poster but long time lurker. Cold weather has moved in that isn't the norm for the area that I live in and this is the first winter I've had my truck in this area. Normally it spends its winter in Eastern WA where I'd like to think that winter mixed diesel exists a little more than it does here. My main concern was clouding, not so much gelling as I know it wouldn't get that cold here. So having read a bunch of pretty good reviews about the white bottle (winter formula) of PowerService Diesel Kleen, I went and bought some to help me sleep a little better at night. I had just filled a tank a few days ago, don't put many miles on the truck here so having an additive would be good for the truck as it could take at least a month to get through a tank. I believe the truck has a 38 gallon tank, maybe someone can verify for a '99 F350 SuperCab long box 4x4 and the 16 oz. bottle says it treats 40 gallons. While reading reviews about this stuff, most guys say a little more isn't going to hurt anything, so I dumped the whole bottle, added 4.5 gallons of fuel and took off. Made it about 100 feet and the truck kept trying to die on me, I'd have to stay on the throttle to keep her going. Got better as I drove home but every minute or two I'd get a little hiccup out of her. Service Engine Soon light came on but when I got home I let it idle for maybe 5 minutes and it didn't seem to want to die on me anymore. Shut the truck off, restarted just fine, and now service light is off. Maybe I made the mistake in thinking that the 4.5 gallons of fuel that I added wasn't enough to agitate the additive through the whole tank? Or am I way off in thinking it's a 38 gallon tank and I used too much? Truck has never given me any issues, always been a hard charger and NEVER left anyone stranded. This truck used to be my dad's and a few years back while filling up he got in a hurry and filled half the tank with 87 octane gas, realized what he had done and decided it was best to just top the tank off with diesel and run it. I would've towed it home and drained the tank myself, but he decided to run it. That was 50K+/- miles ago and we've yet to see any affects of the mishap, all he did was keep thinning out that tank of gas/diesel for a little while and that's it, she runs like a champ still having had gasoline run through her. Anyone have an idea as to why I'm having this issue?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:30 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to FTE but no offense but this sounds like a horror story in the making.. Dumping a whole bottle of D-K in for the first time problibly loosened every piece of sludge and dirt in the fuel system you might have a on its way plugged filter or mixing screens in the tank not to mention the gas factor, woa... I think your tank is a 39 gallon tank, the short beds have a 29 gallon tank.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
How much fuel total was in your tank, after you added the bottle?

I've used diesel kleen for years and love it.

Also, 100 feet? literally? I don't think the fuel would have made it through the system that quick. The fuel bowl alone should hold enough for a mile?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Railslider
New User
Hmm, maybe running the risk of clouding the fuel with cold temps would have been a better bet than running this stuff huh? Guess I screwed this one up. So maybe just a fuel filter change and hope that the injectors don't take a dump on me?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Railslider
New User
Originally Posted by bigtexan99
How much fuel total was in your tank, after you added the bottle?

I've used diesel kleen for years and love it.

Also, 100 feet? literally? I don't think the fuel would have made it through the system that quick. The fuel bowl alone should hold enough for a mile?
No joke I was just coming out of the gas station I had filled up at, hadn't even made it out onto the street. Like I said, it was kinda rough for about a minute or so, just cruising my way out of the lot I had to juice it a little bit here and there to keep the RPMs up. I had less than a 5 minute drive home and the last leg of my drive was alot better but as I said, a couple hiccups here and there. The tank had about 34 gallons when I added the bottle, I filled up and was completely full and as Mike verfied at 39 gallons.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I've used the D-K in every truck I've owned & never had a problem to blame the D-K, white in winter/ gray summer. I'm pretty sure 16 oz didn't have the least bit to do with your hiccup. I doubt a gallon would hurt anything but your wallet.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
malodin
Senior User
i honestly think it might be a coincidence, as i have a truck 200k on it that has never even had a fuel filter change(prior owner) and once i got it, i ran the white bottle dk in it and it didnt screw anything up(did the filter change a few weeks ago, after running the white bottle through) filter was black as black can be but it never acted up like your describing.

dunno though, not saying it isnt related but seems like a previous poster said i doubt 100 ft would even get the "dk" mixed gas into the fuel bowl.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Railslider
New User
Thanks guys. Yeah I thought it was strange, too. I was sitting there thinking how could this possibly be happening? I guess all I can do is drive it and see what happens. The bad news is that it has gone from being the most reliable truck I've ever had to one that I don't want to take too far from home until I get this figured out. I may take care of the fuel filters just for fun, I'm not really sure when they were last changed. Maybe some gunk in the tank/pickup lines made its way up to a filter and by changing them it might take care of the issue.

It's just a weird deal, I had been driving the truck all morning around town, she ran great and I logged at least an hour of engine time with no issues whatsoever. Then I throw 4.5 gallons of fuel and the additive, then I have problems. Makes a guy wonder what's up.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 PM
malodin
Senior User
have you changed your cps yet? i wonder if that could be causing your problems.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Railslider
New User
Originally Posted by malodin
have you changed your cps yet? i wonder if that could be causing your problems.
I believe my dad did have the CPS changed out a couple years back.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Railslider
Thanks guys. Yeah I thought it was strange, too. I was sitting there thinking how could this possibly be happening? I guess all I can do is drive it and see what happens. The bad news is that it has gone from being the most reliable truck I've ever had to one that I don't want to take too far from home until I get this figured out. I may take care of the fuel filters just for fun, I'm not really sure when they were last changed. Maybe some gunk in the tank/pickup lines made its way up to a filter and by changing them it might take care of the issue.

It's just a weird deal, I had been driving the truck all morning around town, she ran great and I logged at least an hour of engine time with no issues whatsoever. Then I throw 4.5 gallons of fuel and the additive, then I have problems. Makes a guy wonder what's up.
Sorry for your woes to start with. But, if you think that's wierd, I put a 4" turbo back exhaust on my truck and on the way home it died on me. Turned out to be the IPR was bad. Now that's, a coincidence.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ses light and dying intermittenly and no power. You ever done the uvch mod?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Railslider
New User
Well she hasn't totally died yet. Even though she has been hiccup'ing, she still runs. And the last 4-5 minutes I let her idle in the lot I think it only had a couple slight lapses. I'm supposed to head out to pick up the girlfriend from work about 15 miles from home in the next couple hours, hopefully this ol' girl won't leave us stranded.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Railslider
New User
Originally Posted by spdmpo
Ses light and dying intermittenly and no power. You ever done the uvch mod?
Just did a search, I feel somewhat educated now. I have not done the UVCH mod and hadn't ever heard of it until now. I guess I'm looking at about 3 scenarios. 1) UVCH 2) CPS is going out, although I'm pretty sure it was done 2-3 years ago 3) I have partially clogged fuel filter(s).

Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the bottle was 16 oz (if I read your post correctly), I wouldn't worry about it at all. 16 oz. in the 38 gal tank isn't going to hurt a thing. I run 8-10 oz. in my 29 gal tank. I think folks may have been thinking you dumped the whole 80 oz. bottle in. That may have been a bit excessive. LOL

The DK shouldn't have caused any problems. I'd be more concerned with bad fuel since it happened right after your fill-up. I'd definitely pop the lid off the filter housing and have a look, just to make sure. In-tank mods should be on your list of things to do next...

Quick Reply: PowerService Diesel Kleen - Interesting results?