Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
My truck had the actual Tymar intake on it before I replaced the filter with the 6637 and cover from Riffraff.
Comes with the same thing as the Riffraff kit but not powdercoated and no filter cover, but it has the nifty little mounting ring that I don't use...

Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Clays got a quality setup for a super cheap price.

With beans, your just paying for a name now days. Still good products in some respects, but like glenn says. Those guys are full of themselves.

Clay is just like all of us around here, a DIYer and knows we like to pinch pennies. =)

Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Bean's sells the Tymar kits.
Evan yours is still a Tymar intake, the filters Clay uses are the same ones the Tymar kit uses.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
I don't really see the difference. They're both a 6637 to me...

Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Buy a 6637 from Fleet Filter and it will have a Donaldson sticker on it. Buy a 6637 from Napa and it will have a Donaldson sticker on it. Buy a 6637 from Clay and I'll bet it has a Donaldson sticker on it.
There are only a few companies producing filters anymore, most of them are just re-branded. But Dale @ Tymar will tell you that only the Donaldson is THE Donaldson filter and all the others are just knock offs.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I have researched this a few years back. The Napa 6637 is a Donaldson filter (actually has a Donaldson sticker on it) and no matter where you buy the filter (tymar, beans or Napa) it isn't the water resistant filter. That is either a marketing ploy by Tymar from back in the day or just an internet myth. Donaldson does make a water resistant filter exactly like the 6637 but it is about 3 times the cost of the 6637/tymar filter.
Replying with tims quote, and I added his signature back in as well.
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Buy a 6637 from Fleet Filter and it will have a Donaldson sticker on it. Buy a 6637 from Napa and it will have a Donaldson sticker on it. Buy a 6637 from Clay and I'll bet it has a Donaldson sticker on it.
There are only a few companies producing filters anymore, most of them are just re-branded. But Dale @ Tymar will tell you that only the Donaldson is THE Donaldson filter and all the others are just knock offs.

Tim
I could agree with you BUT, then we would both be wrong!

Just as Tim said, they are all the same.
Anyone can "claim" something, but that doesn't mean its true.

Clay could claim that he has the only "true" filter too, and then who would be right?
But, lets just examine Tim's signature here again.

=)

Old 11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Lets just get one thing clear... I never said Dale was right, nor do I think he is. But give him a call and ask him if the filter you bought at Napa is the same one he sells. Set aside at LEAST 30 minutes, preferrably an hour as he WILL talk your ear off. To make your life even more interesting tell him you built your own intake... better set aside 2 hours if you decide to do that.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Let me see if I can muddy the water more, LOL.

I have personally bought many pallets of these filters from the manufacturer and they come boxed as Baldwin, Luber-Finer, Donaldson, Napa/Wix, and Fleetrite. Same filter, same manufacturer, same box, different label. Yet none of those are the manufacturer

Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Replying with tims quote, and I added his signature back in as well.

Just as Tim said, they are all the same.
Anyone can "claim" something, but that doesn't mean its true.

Clay could claim that he has the only "true" filter too, and then who would be right?
But, lets just examine Tim's signature here again.

=)
William quit picking fights! What you are saying and what Chase is say.....well let me put it this way....You agree with each other!

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Lets just get one thing clear... I never said Dale was right, nor do I think he is. But give him a call and ask him if the filter you bought at Napa is the same one he sells. Set aside at LEAST 30 minutes, preferrably an hour as he WILL talk your ear off. To make your life even more interesting tell him you built your own intake... better set aside 2 hours if you decide to do that.
I believe this! I have only talked to Dale twice. The second time I did NOT ask his opinion on the matter at hand!

Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Let me see if I can muddy the water more, LOL.

I have personally bought many pallets of these filters from the manufacturer and they come boxed as Baldwin, Luber-Finer, Donaldson, Napa/Wix, and Fleetrite. Same filter, same manufacturer, same box, different label. Yet none of those are the manufacturer
SOOOOO WHO IS THE MANUFACTURER????!!! You can't leave us hanging like that!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
I believe this! I have only talked to Dale twice. The second time I did NOT ask his opinion on the matter at hand!
I forget why I called him the one time (and LAST time I'll ever call him) but he was more than happy to tell me everything I wanted to know, and a lot of stuff I didn't want to know too!

SOOOOO WHO IS THE MANUFACTURER????!!! You can't leave us hanging like that!
x2, inquiring minds want to know!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
powerstrokedieselfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well before my head begins to spin ill just throw it out their that I purchased mine from Riffraff on Sunday online

I just hope I get a sticker!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Atta boy. I did the Napa gig but if I were to do it all over again I would go with Clay. You will sometimes think that you can piece it together yourself for cheaper than Clay offers but this is rarely the case. By the time you drive all around wasting fuel to piece it together, then realize you are missing one little thing, you might as well go with Clays deal. Everything you need for the project guarenteed, shipped to your door, with great customer service.

And I agree that they are all the same filter. It's like buying a Napa gold filter or a Wix filter from O'Reillys. They are both Wix filters. They just have different badges on them.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:23 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
I was doing some searching on this subject. Looks like the donaldson B085046 is water resilient. Subscribing.

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/W...072&item=14069

Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by tdpower
I was doing some searching on this subject. Looks like the donaldson B085046 is water resilient. Subscribing.

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/W...072&item=14069
Yeah it is. That is the filter I mentioned (not by part number) in this post
Donaldson does make a water resistant filter exactly like the 6637 but it is about 3 times the cost of the 6637/tymar filter.
That filter crosses to a Napa 2326. My cost is $83 and list price is $205

Quick Reply: Beans or Riffraff intake?