1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 f6 truck info

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
blazier18
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 f6 truck info

i gotta 1950 ford f6 truck all complete for sale. truck hasnt ran in about 15 years give or take. tires still hold air and some roll. all glass is good. etc. quite a bit of rust though. has a flathead v8 motor still looks pretty good to be honest. havent even tried to turn it over. any info on wat to ask for sale price. will need passenger side floorboard too. im wantin to see 1500? is that to much my email is ericblazier18@gmail.com. if u would like my number to reach me to recieve pics or any more info call or email.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:48 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Is this the F5 you were planning to restore? As for the price, we would need a lot more information and probably need to see pictures. To be honest with you, the larger trucks, F5,6,7,&8 are not 'in demand' trucks as they are a lot of work to restore and to get certain parts for. Unless the cab and dog house are in really great shape, $1500 for one of these trucks that has sat for 15 years +- seems a bit high. Mine was running when I bought it in that price range and the market was stronger then. as far as the tires holding air, truthfully that means very little, unless they are not on widowmaker rims. The widowmakers are the biggest negative to these trucks as they are unsafe and it is all but impossible to get anybody to service them.
Is the motor 'stuck' or does it at least turn? What is the condition of the fenders and the cab corners? Are the bottom of the doors rusted through? Is there a bed on the truck and if so what size and type is it?
I don't want to sound negative about this, but I would think that you'd appreciate the truth.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Blazier,

Everything Joe has said. It's extremely hard to give a rough estimate without seeing picture, even when pictures are posted it's quite hard. There are many variables that affect the value of a vehicle. Also, if you think the engine might run throw a battery in it and get it running, or at least get it to turn over. It would make it more valuable if you can say the engine isn't froze up. Many times the only value in a big truck is the stock flathead engine. The term "Ran when parked" is greatly over used and really doesn't do anything for a vehicle for sale other than have a potential buyer roll their eyes. I wrote a small rant about this in a recent post. I'm not trying to sound like hard a$$ about this, I'm just stating this to help:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-internet.html

Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
We get the 'what is my truck worth' question all the time. And we constantly have to repeat prices will vary with condition and location. For one as dilapidated as you describe yours to be, you're on the pipe if you think you're going to get $1500 for a rotted F-6, no matter where you are. You'll be lucky to get a third of that, imho, which is based in fact since I just bought 2 of them in nicer shape than yours for money in that ballpark. In my neighborhood, for a truck in that condition, you'd be lucky to find a scrap dealer to pick it up for you. For free.

BTW, the moderators don't much care for folks peddling stuff here. There's a classified section for such posts.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree with Bob and Joe. Around here big trucks are only bringing about scrap price these days - and that's for newer, running, fully functioning rigs. I hate to burst your bubble, but if it has as much rust as you describe, I'd say you're probably only looking at about 1/3 of what you would like to get.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 PM
blazier18
New User
truck

yeah thats it. and i understand. its rusted pretty bad passenger side worst of all

Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Selling it for parts might be a better way to go. Many interchange with lighter duty trucks, and that opens up the buying crowd some more.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by blazier18
yeah thats it. and i understand. its rusted pretty bad passenger side worst of all
If you could post some pictures or email some to me at joe@onpitroad.com I might be able to give you a better idea. Let me know where the truck is located, I have to head up to Michigan this week, but I might be able to look at it for you next week depending on how far it is from me.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM
F-6Larry
New User
Hi guy/gals, I'm a new person here but I have an F-6 and I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks, welll, maybe for that. Mechanically - needs nothing except a brake job(have parts) but it needs paint, every body molding and tilt, of course.

Last time I asked for new wheels(tubeless) the young lady at Coker sent me into the yard to measure the dish and everything in sight - even asked if my lawn was tall enough to cut. Does anyone know what I need to ask for to get the equivalent of 7.50x20 tubeless tires and wheels for same, 8-ply rating or more? Thanks in advance for any help F-6Larry. I'm planning to drive and use the truck now.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by F-6Larry
Hi guy/gals, I'm a new person here but I have an F-6 and I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks, welll, maybe for that. Mechanically - needs nothing except a brake job(have parts) but it needs paint, every body molding and tilt, of course.

Last time I asked for new wheels(tubeless) the young lady at Coker sent me into the yard to measure the dish and everything in sight - even asked if my lawn was tall enough to cut. Does anyone know what I need to ask for to get the equivalent of 7.50x20 tubeless tires and wheels for same, 8-ply rating or more? Thanks in advance for any help F-6Larry. I'm planning to drive and use the truck now.
Larry, first, welcome to FTE, you will find a wealth of information here and a lot of friendly knowledgeable posters. As far as the wheels, for tubeless you will need to go to either 22.5 or 19.5 and your options there are very limited. Truckdog62563 is probably one of the more knowledgeable on the wheels. The 22.5 are pretty rare with the 5 lug pattern, but if you find them, the 900x22.5 would be the tire size. A bit more common would be the 19.5 which was used on a lot of 70's era Dodge M400 chassis motorhomes. The old tire size was 8R19.5 which is pretty close to the 7.50x20. To the best of my knowledge, none of these wheels have been manufactured since the mid-late 80's.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Technically the equivalent of a 20" tube type is a 22.5" tubeless. Technically a 19.5" tubeless is equivalent to a 17" tube type. But like Joe says, the 19.5" wheel clears your drums and the 8R19.5" tire is close in outside diameter to the 7.50 x 20. The narrowest 22.5" tire you'll find today is a 9R22.5 which will be much taller.

I know of two guys that have 22.5" wheels to fit your truck for sale right now. One lives in Ohio and the other in Virginia. I don't have a line on any 19.5s at the moment. While I have no financial interest in either, I'm not sure what the FTE rules would say about me posting contact info on them. What I could do if you are interested is have them contact you. Since you don't have enough postings to do private messages if you want to email me at stu_sandymcmillan at sbcglobal dot net I'll forward your email address to them. Below is a picture of the one guy's wheels. Hope that helps. Stu