1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Winter time and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard WD will pit aluminum over time. From what I heard, the military wiped down airplane wings, etc. with it and found some problems after a while of doing it. I could be wrong. Does 303 work on metal?

Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Major Marvin
I heard WD will pit aluminum over time. From what I heard, the military wiped down airplane wings, etc. with it and found some problems after a while of doing it. I could be wrong. Does 303 work on metal?
I personally don't like the stuff.
its just fish oil.
The solvants in the wd40 are what cause the pitting if there are any.

Fluid film is a non solvent based product made from lanolin, which is naturally highly water resistant. Water beads off my pants and boots and hands when I'm done shearing.

the fluid film will stick to the wheels good, and it wont hurt the rubber as well.
But! it will power wash off.
You can buy it in gallon cans as well and apply it with a brush or a wagner airless sprayer.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Kerosene in a can is what the guys in the metal shop would call it. I prefer Tri-Flow or most anything with a touch of teflon. Anywho -

Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Unless you only drive 30mph anything you put on your rims is gonna rinse off with road water WD/40 especially I only use WD/40 for washing my hands after a greasy job lol even If you were to spread grease all over your rims it will just wash off with road water best thing to do is wash regularly I use SOS pads very gently and use a brand new pad every rim the soap in the pad helps from scratching the rim keeps my rims looking brand new I get complements all the time.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ooh. SOS pads on the wheels huh. Scary. Good to know that if you use them lightly it will keep them clean and shiney without scratching them.