Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Keyless Entry Codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 08:17 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keyless Entry Codes

This seems to be a real popular question, especially for the "newbies," so let's get on with it.

If your Explorer is 2001 or older, first look for a sticker with a 5-digit number placed in any one of these areas: under the hood, inside a door or tailgate jamb, or inside the glove box. Ford used to provide the dealers with these stickers, and we were SUPPOSED to install them in the places I just mentioned. Nothing there? Now it gets a little harder.

The 5-digit code you need is attached to a module that sits on top of the left-rear wheel well. You access it by removing the cover in the cargo area for the jack/ washer fluid bottle. Using a flashlight and a mirror, look towards the front of your vehicle- you're looking for a light-colored box a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes. There's a sticker on the side of the box, facing the interior. It would really help if you had someone pull out on the plastic panel a little at this point. There will be several numbers on the module, but the 5-digit one you're looking for will be in large, bold-faced type. This is the PERMANENT code that works everything, and can be used to put in your own personal code. Now that you have the code, WRITE IT ON A STICKER AND PLACE IT INSIDE YOUR GLOVE BOX! That way, I don't have to type all this stuff again and again and again.......

Last edited by CobraXP; 12-11-2003 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-08-2003, 08:23 PM
CC77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi 1956MarkII,

Good info!

This should go sticky!

Old 12-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Mr_SteveO
New User
Gentlemen! I have a 2001 Explorer Sport with Keyless Entry. Don't like to tell you this, but, the code wasn't in any of the locations you mentioned. Not under the dash, not in the glove box, not in the storage above the rear left wheel well.

FYI: The dealer hooked up the computer to a module under the dash under the steering column to get the number.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:35 PM
madkiwi
New User
Question

Hi I have a 99 explorer,I just bought it, I need to reporgram the keypad on the door, I do not have a manual. I was ablt to find the 5 digit code, can anyone tell me the proceedure?

thanks
Barry

Old 12-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Mr_SteveO
New User
The 5-digit code is primarily used to open the doors. In my 2001 guide it tells you how to enable/disable security or enter the car. I would suggest keeping the code the same; however, you can create a secondary 5-digit code to do the same. I can't get back to you this week, but next week I'll do what I can. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:58 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Originally posted by madkiwi
Hi I have a 99 explorer,I just bought it, I need to reporgram the keypad on the door, I do not have a manual. I was ablt to find the 5 digit code, can anyone tell me the proceedure?

thanks
Barry
Once you enter the code, the driver's door will unlock. If you press the 3-4 button within 5 seconds, the other doors will unlock. Press the 5-6 button within 5 seconds, and the rear window will release. Press the 7-8 button within 5 seconds, and the front bumper falls off. No- just kidding. Actually, if you press the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons together, it will lock all the doors. If you want to add your own personal code, enter the code you found on the module, and then press 1. Within 5 seconds, enter the 5-digit code you want to add. The doors will lock, then unlock, confirming it has accepted the new additional code. Now both codes will work, and entering your own personal code is the same as entering the master code. To unlock the other doors, press 3-4 within 5 seconds, etc... Be careful in the personal code you choose; you can't use 5 of the same number (77777, for example), and don't use one that goes in sequence (14580, for example). People will come up and tend to push the buttons in sequence to try and get in.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:45 PM
cklawon
New User
Question For a 2002???

What about for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT??? Could it be in the same locations??? Thanks. Just bought a used one today...

Old 12-30-2003, 08:25 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Re: For a 2002???

Originally posted by cklawon
What about for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT??? Could it be in the same locations??? Thanks. Just bought a used one today...
Sorry- there are no stickers on the 2002s. The vehicle was originally delivered with a plastic card with the number on it, OR the originating dealer may have the number on file, OR you'll have to go to a Ford service department and have them pull the code out of the vehicle's computer, for which they'll charge anywhere from $0-50.00.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:14 AM
cklawon
New User
Ok thanks! Might have to make a trip back out to the Ford dealership this weekend. Later...

Old 01-04-2004, 05:42 PM
golfboy17
Senior User
If you bought the car new, or used and the person you bought it from was never told the code i would go back to that dealler and they should do it for free since the code is suppose to be located some were on the vehical or in the oweners manual book or been told to you if not they need to either pull the codes for free or look it up for free either way it should be free might take a little persuation, but you will get it done for free

Old 01-04-2004, 05:52 PM
cklawon
New User
Yeah I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks...

Old 01-05-2004, 08:30 AM
bignycatx
New User
What about the remotes?

Hi y'all,,,
We just gave birth to a 04 Expedition XLT and would like to have the same remote work for both the Expedition and my 97 Explorer XLT. The remotes for the Explorer are replacements (didn't have them when I bought it used) and I know how to reprogram it by turning the key to on 5 times. The Expedition works by turning the key to on 8 times. Since the Expedition remote has an extra button fot the back glass I would like that remote to also open the Explorer doors so I don't have to lug that heavy thing on my keychain anymore.
Anyone know how I can do this?????????

A Essa

Old 01-08-2004, 02:32 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
It should be possible to do it- are you saying you tried and it doesn't work? I would recommend this: program the vehicles while they are quite a distance apart. If you do it while they're parked next to one another, you'll be programming one vehicle and DE-programming the other at the same time. You do realize, of course, that once this is done they will both lock/ unlock at the same time if they're anywhere near each other. That would drive me NUTS.

Last edited by 1956MarkII; 01-08-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:16 PM
bignycatx
New User
Hey Guru Mark,,,,,yes I tried it but can't get the 04 Expy remote to open the 97 Explorer doors. I just hate having all that bulge in my pocket and it not being natural,,,,,,,oh well life goes on.

A Essa

Old 01-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Officer SportTrac
Junior User
After I spent several hours looking for the code I finally paid my dealer $35 to have them find it. Much easier that way

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Codes