Leveling System On A Travel Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 10:19 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,149 Likes on 2,856 Posts
Leveling System On A Travel Trailer

I'm getting ready to put in an order for a Northwoods Desert Fox 27FS. Standard factory configuration is scissor jacks. Optional is a 5 point leveling system, four jacks and the tongue jack. Some digging found that it's a Lippert product and is rated to 10,000 lbs. The problem is that the 27FS has a GVWR of 12,800. As nice as a leveling system would be, I'm concerned that a 10k product on a 12.8k trailer is a bad fit. Secondary issue is that the system weighs 484 lbs. That weight is from a Q & A entry on the eTrailer web site. Deduct the weight of the standard tongue jack and four scissor jacks it's at most a 200 lbs net gain. Not a huge deal, but every pound matters eventually.

Northwood wants $4883 for this option. I can buy it from eTrailer for $3418.

Most of the responses on this topic on the Northwood owners forum are from fifth wheel owners, not travel trailer/toy hauler owners that have the Lippert system on their trailer.

I'm leaning towards not adding the 5 point leveling option, mainly due to the weight rating discrepancy. Thoughts?

Old 05-22-2024, 06:57 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
I'm a basic guy (coming from one who owns a Lariat, lol). My take is, it's nice when it works, a pita and $$ when it doesn't. For me, leveling never is a great concern, drive one side up on a block or two, fix the rest with the tongue. A push button would be nice tho.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-22-2024, 07:16 AM
Marinerjoe
Mountain Pass
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
My first two travel trailers didn’t have the automatic leveling system. I used a LevelMatePRO with Andersen levelers and it worked great. My current trailer has the automatic leveling system and when it works, it’s wonderful. Lately (after two years of use and MANY nights, it’s been getting wonky. I really like the automatic system, but based on the OP’s weight concerns and the high cost, I would stick with the Andersen levelers and the LevelMatePRO.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:39 AM
WE3ZS
Received 932 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I'm getting ready to put in an order for a Northwoods Desert Fox 27FS. Standard factory configuration is scissor jacks. Optional is a 5 point leveling system, four jacks and the tongue jack. Some digging found that it's a Lippert product and is rated to 10,000 lbs. The problem is that the 27FS has a GVWR of 12,800. As nice as a leveling system would be, I'm concerned that a 10k product on a 12.8k trailer is a bad fit. Secondary issue is that the system weighs 484 lbs. That weight is from a Q & A entry on the eTrailer web site. Deduct the weight of the standard tongue jack and four scissor jacks it's at most a 200 lbs net gain. Not a huge deal, but every pound matters eventually.

Northwood wants $4883 for this option. I can buy it from eTrailer for $3418.

Most of the responses on this topic on the Northwood owners forum are from fifth wheel owners, not travel trailer/toy hauler owners that have the Lippert system on their trailer.

I'm leaning towards not adding the 5 point leveling option, mainly due to the weight rating discrepancy. Thoughts?
Have you contacted Northwoods to see if they could upgrade the suspension to allow for a higher GVWR which would more than offset the weight penalty of the leveler system? I don’t know how flexible they are on builds, back in ‘13 when we ordered our Jayco they wouldn’t make any changes to the build but on the Alliance we have being built they were able to make changes that we wanted.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:51 AM
Strider250
Tuned
Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts
In my 40+ years of RVing with travel trailers I would not get the leveling system, it is almost 30% overloaded! A set of leveling blocks and some more stabilization is a lot cheaper than the optional system plus you have a couple hundred pounds of additional gear/beverages you can carry without it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Strider250:
Old 05-22-2024, 09:32 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Have you contacted Northwoods to see if they could upgrade the suspension to allow for a higher GVWR which would more than offset the weight penalty of the leveler system? I don’t know how flexible they are on builds, back in ‘13 when we ordered our Jayco they wouldn’t make any changes to the build but on the Alliance we have being built they were able to make changes that we wanted.
I already have a couple of minor changes that will be requested with the order. I asked them to NOT put the roof rack on. I think that's a pretty easy one to accept.

I suspect that a suspension change is too much to ask for.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:03 AM
WE3ZS
Received 932 Likes on 629 Posts
I doesn’t cost anything to ask. On our fiver that’s being built this week we ordered the independent suspension which raised the GVWR by 1,000lbs, which is nice with all of the basement storage room it has.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:27 PM
B-ManFX4
Laughing Gas

Received 838 Likes on 382 Posts
EDIT: The GVWR of the RV is with the "toys" you might be hauling, correct? What is the actual unloaded weight of just the RV? If it sits, without toys, at 10,000 lbs. or less I would give the system a try. You got me thinking about it for mine, after I read all of the reviews on etrailer.com.

My TT came with scissor jacks. After the first rainy trip I switched them out myself with the Lippert PSX-1 stabilizers. I managed to get a set on Amazon that were "Open Box". I took a chance - they said they might be missing hardware. I figured the only hardware that might be missing would be bolts and such. I was partially correct - I had to spend $10 on bolts and I had to buy a switch for $18. I got them both for $590 with free Prime shipping. They have been used quite a few times and I have not had any issues with them.

These are the units I bought:
Amazon Amazon

As far as leveling goes, I use the Anderson rockers and this little gem:
Amazon Amazon

It makes it so easy to get the RV leveled side to side without having to jump out and look at a level. Unbelievably functional - I'd call it a bargain at twice the price.

Old 05-24-2024, 06:04 AM
Bugzilla46310
Fleet Mechanic
Received 318 Likes on 173 Posts
Wouldn’t it be grand if camp sites had lots that were actually level? Let me know when you find one!

Old 05-24-2024, 07:49 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I'm rarely in an actual campground so there is often a lot of leveling going on.

I decided to skip the 5 point leveling system. If I change my mind I can always buy the aftermarket version. Maybe they'll have a heavier duty one then. Weight is a concern. I'm going to put on about 1000 watts of solar panels plus a bunch on Victron components.

One positive thing I saw about the Lippert leveling jacks is that with the extra supports (yellow bars), there may be less need for stabilizer bars like the JT Strongarms.

Old 05-29-2024, 11:18 PM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts
I have these on my trailer, I like them, they seem to balance and lift just a wee bit, individually locking into position with a side to side leveling result. You still need to do front and rear separate after you have it level from back to front. Takes only a few minutes.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...8aAj2wEALw_wcB

Old 05-30-2024, 06:07 PM
Bugzilla46310
Fleet Mechanic
Received 318 Likes on 173 Posts
That’s the same style that came on our Jayco 33RBTS. I’m happy with them. Thought about adding a third in the center of the camper.

Old 05-31-2024, 11:54 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 459 Likes on 312 Posts
Have them on the lot. Generally work well.

Steve

Old 05-31-2024, 12:46 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Welcome back Steve. Haven't seen you in a while. Hope you're well.

Old 05-31-2024, 01:22 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 459 Likes on 312 Posts
Thanks, hope you are well also. Seems like I couldn't stay away!

Quick Reply: Leveling System On A Travel Trailer