Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dorman Fuel lines any good???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 10:15 AM
mikenamys
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dorman Fuel lines any good???

Has anyone used the Dorman fuel supply and return lines from the pump/return frame mounted to the engine supply?

Bad or good?

Dorman makes pretty good stuff and I honestly never had a single issue with any of their products, sometimes being life savers!

I will pay the extra for most stuff to stay factory, but these things seem awfully expensive for all they are...

Their headlight assemblies for our Tahoe are still airtight, no leaks or condensation after almost 2 years. Ebay ones in our old Tahoe were crap in less than 6 months..

Old 05-10-2024, 10:25 AM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 620 Likes on 474 Posts
there is a lot of bad words with Dorman,
but I have used a lot of their parts w/o a complaint on any of them.

so far, no wiring harnesses for my 7.3L though

Old 05-10-2024, 10:30 AM
Tpayne621
Cargo Master
Received 1,153 Likes on 743 Posts
I think @Hyakkimaru used them. I rememeber him doing something with those fuel lines but can't remember exactly.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:31 AM
Hyakkimaru
Logistics Pro
Received 1,076 Likes on 620 Posts
I didn't use dorman fuel lines but I did use the El cheapo fuel lines from amazon. I think they were like 35 bucks and they worked fine. Not sure on the seals that came with them although for the entirety of the time I had those seals on there they held fine but they just seem odd being as they are white and made of an unknown material but, they never did leak. When I put my new engine on the fuel lines were still sealed. But the parts truck I had had a set of fuel lines on it that were OEM and I cleaned them up and painted them while I was still driving my truck with the weak engine, so I would have a nice painted set of fuel lines to put on with the new engine. But at the time that I took them off I think I probably had them on for 6 months? Maybe longer I don't know. And they didn't leak a drop but if you want to be on the safe side just get some good seals to go with them but, they worked great for me and they were cheap. Actually I think I still have them sitting at the house if you wanted them you could have them.

I had bought a doorman valve cover gasket and built in harness which is an awesome design but the wires were peeling their outer shell exposing all the bare wire after only 1 year.

I think doorman parts are ok unless it's electrical. I think all of their cast stuff that was designed to fit in a certain spot that I bought did fit. They do have some very interesting stuff that has come in handy but, I will never again buy anything electrical. And things like sensors, or major engine gaskets, anything that's really difficult to change I'd rather not use dorman. That's just my thoughts on it. Nothing electrical and no rear main seal

Old 05-14-2024, 07:41 AM
mikenamys
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by John in OkieLand
there is a lot of bad words with Dorman,
but I have used a lot of their parts w/o a complaint on any of them.

so far, no wiring harnesses for my 7.3L though

Made my own wiring harness...

Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-14-2024, 07:44 AM
mikenamys
Mountain Pass
I went ahead and got the lines...got em at cost so $165

Old 05-14-2024, 07:57 AM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mikenamys

Dorman makes pretty good stuff....
You may be the first person to have ever said that. Don't get that confused with finding a Doorman product that actually works and is OK to use - which is always big news!

Old 05-14-2024, 10:02 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
I went ahead and got the lines...got em at cost so $165
So you paid more for Chinese parts than you could have paid for factory parts? https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/fuel-...ine-set-99-03/

Old 05-14-2024, 01:17 PM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Made my own wiring harness...
that was a lot of work,
I would be inclined to just order up a full new harness.Swag Performance in TN

https://tinyurl.com/5eaem59t with California Emissions $250.00 new

no returns, be sure the correct item is ordered….

VIN# specific, do not order without contacting Swag

Swag Performance & Off-Road
4007 Highway 31 West
Cottontown, TN 37048
Phone: (615) 452-6003

https://swagperformanceparts.com/

Old 05-15-2024, 08:34 AM
mikenamys
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by duck fan
So you paid more for Chinese parts than you could have paid for factory parts? https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/fuel-...ine-set-99-03/

READ!!!...wrong lines...its not price for me ever. Used Dorman repair ends on countless Fords and GM. Not a single leak or comeback.
Its price vs. actual performance... I think paying for everything up to this point proves it. And if you took 2 seconds to look at any of the pics, you would see the Sinister Diesel fuel bowl delete...why on earth would i even have a need for them. Do some reading first THEN reply....geeze

Opinions vs. Experience

Now I'd never use the UVCH from then...why? Experience...the wiring pulls away on the inside exposing bare wire. I have factory FORD on it now.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:47 AM
mikenamys
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by John in OkieLand
that was a lot of work,
I would be inclined to just order up a full new harness.Swag Performance in TN

https://tinyurl.com/5eaem59t with California Emissions $250.00 new

no returns, be sure the correct item is ordered….

VIN# specific, do not order without contacting Swag

Swag Performance & Off-Road
4007 Highway 31 West
Cottontown, TN 37048
Phone: (615) 452-6003

https://swagperformanceparts.com/
I am not running anything to the valley so the GP relay and wiring will no longer be where the wiring is at on the harness..not paying 500 bucks for harness prone to rubbing thru inside the harness. Swag performance harness is NOT factory ford...Chinese made...

Diagnosing will be a cake walk so the time and effort easily outweighs the cost and function of a standard harness. I think when you see the end result you will understand. I will have EVERY wire available to me to check continuity and function within seconds...no probing, no unplugging...and no more 31 wire plug...most wires green and fail from some yoyo probing the wire...few take the time to at least silicone the small hole. And even then an oil contaminated wire will eventually release the bond. If you think these things have wiring, do some big trucks sometime...

Wiring is shielded, soldered ends, shrink tubed, friction taped, encased in ABS harness, friction taped again then braided encasement. No factory wire will outlive that.

I appreciate the input and I did think about it...trust me...I believe all of you will actually love the idea. My brain is trained to look 7 steps ahead. Just like the fuel lines, these are easy to get to and replace.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"

Stay tuned...

Old 05-15-2024, 08:57 AM
mikenamys
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by liquidlounge
You may be the first person to have ever said that. Don't get that confused with finding a Doorman product that actually works and is OK to use - which is always big news!
Apparently no one has used them to even have a say other than people badmouthing them without ever using them. So I will be the guinea pig then...

If they leak I will absolutely post about it. I was looking for someone that actually installed them on their ride and may have had issues....thats all

Old 05-15-2024, 10:09 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
READ!!!...wrong lines...its not price for me ever. Used Dorman repair ends on countless Fords and GM. Not a single leak or comeback.
Its price vs. actual performance... I think paying for everything up to this point proves it. And if you took 2 seconds to look at any of the pics, you would see the Sinister Diesel fuel bowl delete...why on earth would i even have a need for them. Do some reading first THEN reply....geeze

Opinions vs. Experience

Now I'd never use the UVCH from then...why? Experience...the wiring pulls away on the inside exposing bare wire. I have factory FORD on it now.
Are you okay? So I missed a detail. I've been wrong before, just ask my wife. No need to freak out. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:16 PM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
I was wrong once in my life,
but actually, I was mistaken then.

Old 05-16-2024, 02:56 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 858 Likes on 625 Posts
Opinions vs. Experience
Yup.

I know Peter, he's likely worked on more 7.3s than you've had orgasms.

Glad to learn from your new techniques but please remain civil.

Quick Reply: Dorman Fuel lines any good???