Sponsored by:

Expedition One Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 07:20 AM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Expedition One Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

Anyone have this bumper on their Excursion?

How do you like it?

Any rattles?

How far can you open the barn doors?

https://bumpersuperstore.com/i-24042...ategory:702680

Old 05-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Received 288 Likes on 206 Posts
Pretty sweet looking bumper, I dig it. Unfortunately there is now way in hell that the rear barn doors will fully open with where the pivot point for the swing out arms is mounted.

If you could deal with the aesthetics of it, you could notch the rear barn doors to fit around the pivot point mount. The rear barns doors are hollow (no glass or anything inside them) and they're made of fiberglass, so no welder is needed to modify them.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:41 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 308 Likes on 242 Posts
Funny, I am searching for spare fuel can holders right now, and this pops up...

https://www.expeditiononestore.com/F...016_p_723.html

https://truckbrigade.com/products/ex...ford-f250-1999

Old 05-06-2024, 06:41 AM
Hockeymom
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice, but….

This is slick but I agree the doors won’t open all the way. I have the aluminess bumper and I love it. https://www.aluminess.com/products/?page=1&s=Excursion

Old 05-11-2024, 08:42 AM
4Kids
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by CajunX
Anyone have this bumper on their Excursion? How do you like it?
No, but soon I will.

Any rattles?
Not that I could determine. It is built extremely well and the swing out arms lock up nicely with a cam latch.

How far can you open the barn doors?
The barn doors can open ALL the way. The one issue with this bumper is that it needs to have a overtravel stop welded on so the spare tire can't 'overswing' and scratch/dent the rear fender just under the tail light. If the wind catches it while its open this WILL happen. It should be an easy fix. Easier than fixing the little dent.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:52 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
After speaking with the folks at Expedition One, several issues became apparent.

1. They do not make this bumper for the Excursion. The issue is that the rear bumper mounts for the Excursion are different than the F250/350. However, there are a few shops that make adapter brackets that allow this bumper to mount to the Excursion.

2. Some owners have reported that the latch mechanism becomes difficult to open/close over time. There are youtube videos about this as well.

3. They do not offer a storage box option.

Given these issuesI decided to go with a bumper with tire carrier, hilift jack carrier, and large storage box made by Buckstop.

I considered the Aluminess (very comparable in price/options to the Buckstop), but I did not like that it relied on the Excursion's barn door hinges for structural support. The Aluminess is made of aluminum, which means it is softer, more prone to denting and scrapes, and there has been a history of fatigue issues resulting in structural cracks.

I also considered building my own using a Move rear bumper, swing arm kits, storage box, etc, but it would have cost me roughly 60%+ of the cost of the Buckstop not including paint, welding consumables, and my time. I suspect the finished bumper would have cost me about 70% of the cost of the Buckstop, so not enough savings to justify my time and risk of building an inferior product.

Lead times are several months for the Buckstop, but I will post after I get it installed and have a few thousand miles on it.