2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Strange Crack

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 06:30 PM
CJ2021
Mountain Pass
Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Strange Crack

Any of you guys seen or heard of this before? 6 Months ago I replaced the driver side window. Just a random crack behind the mirror. Driving down the road today, look out the window same exact crack in same exact location. I'm like what the heck? Nothing hit it. It's behind my mirror/ Any of you guys seen or heard of something like this before? I Google'd and searched of this forum and seen no similar issue. Really bizarre.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:49 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,794 Posts
Driver side widow on mine had a crack that started below the gasket somewhere, never did find out what happened.
Found the best price on a OEM manufacturer glass at caliber.com , excellent and fast service.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:46 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,446 Likes on 1,809 Posts
Likewise: 2022 F-250 driver's side window cracked twice, while still under original 3 year 36K warranty.

No claim was made, since it was presumed that Ford would immediately blame the aftermarket window tinting.

Yet, it is interesting reading not one, but TWO echoes of the same issue, both 2022's too. And both F-250's too.

Not that the 250 makes a difference, it is just interesting.

That is two too many twenty twos to not take notice.

They say it takes two to tango, but now with three 2022's with cracked driver's side windows... is it time to take Ford to task and tangle?

Old 05-02-2024, 09:53 PM
CJ2021
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Likewise: 2022 F-250 driver's side window cracked twice, while still under original 3 year 36K warranty.

No claim was made, since it was presumed that Ford would immediately blame the aftermarket window tinting.

Yet, it is interesting reading not one, but TWO echoes of the same issue, both 2022's too. And both F-250's too.

Not that the 250 makes a difference, it is just interesting.

That is two too many twenty twos to not take notice.

They say it takes two to tango, but now with three 2022's with cracked driver's side windows... is it time to take Ford to task and tangle?

Did yours happen in the same location as before?

Old 05-02-2024, 10:02 PM
Y2KW57
Yes, but not in your exact location.

More toward the lower middle of the glass, rather than the lower front corner like yours.

It's still weird though.

No issues 2021, 2019. No issues with any of the 1999-2016 Super Duties. No issues with any Ford full size pickups or vans since the mid 1960's.

But 2022... strange crack.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-02-2024, 10:07 PM
CJ2021
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Yes, but not in your exact location.

More toward the lower middle of the glass, rather than the lower front corner like yours.

It's still weird though.

No issues 2021, 2019. No issues with any of the 1999-2016 Super Duties. No issues with any Ford full size pickups or vans since the mid 1960's.

But 2022... strange crack.
I called the dealer today, and they were going to ask a tech. But clearly this is an issue. Same window, same exact spots on truck. I got 1500 till my 36,000 is up. But I do have a 100,000 100 for protect policy in place afterwards. We need to start notating this stuff, photos.

Old 05-03-2024, 05:53 AM
camperfanatic01
Tuned
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by CJ2021
I called the dealer today, and they were going to ask a tech. But clearly this is an issue. Same window, same exact spots on truck. I got 1500 till my 36,000 is up. But I do have a 100,000 100 for protect policy in place afterwards. We need to start notating this stuff, photos.
maybe something sticking out in the door that it hits, maybe stress from misaligned tracks, maybe where you park it, there is somehow concentrated sunlight that overheats the glass?

Old 05-03-2024, 06:42 AM
CJ2021
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by camperfanatic01
maybe something sticking out in the door that it hits, maybe stress from misaligned tracks, maybe where you park it, there is somehow concentrated sunlight that overheats the glass?
1st was original Ford glass from the factory. 2nd was from a local auto glass shop. Glass doesn't just crack in the same exact location. I was driving the vehicle all day yesterday getting in and getting out. The other time happened in the fall right before winter setting in my driveway. At 1st i thought maybe a kid shot it with a bb gun. Which is impossible. no neighborhood kids, and my yard was fenced in completely. And the crack is directly behind my mirror, I seriously doubt it's the sunlight.

It's cracked in the exact same spot and way as before. Hopefully the dealer will do something about it. People cant keep having comprehensive auto glass claims every 6 months going forward with our insurances. Coincidence? I seriously don't think so at all. Both crack's are directly behind my mirror. Nothing could hit that location without going through my side mirror first.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:20 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts
I'm curious, what are these side windows nowadays? Laminated? Layered and laminated? Guessing this one is not tempered.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:12 AM
Y2KW57
I'm still in the "questioning the quality of the glass in the 2022 model year" camp, because auto glass supplied in 2021 calendar year should still sustain the rigors of the elements as the auto glass produced since WWII, despite the pandemic induced material shortages.

But in your particular case, based on further details described in the post above and requoted below, there is something that can "hit that location without going through the side mirror first."

And that something is the sun's REFLECTION through the mirror.

Architect Rafael Viñoly has a penchant for designing curved glass buildings with mirror like finishes, and it is no coincidence that the 57-story Vdara "Death Ray Hotel" in Las Vegas, and the 38-story Walkie Talkie "Fryscraper" on Fenchurch in central London, both buildings that he designed, are reflecting (and magnifying, due to the convergence of reflected angles via the curve) the sun's rays into a death ray that cooks cars, bakes bicycle seats, and literally sun burns people.

If you park your truck in a particular way, at a particular time of day, in relation to how the sun's rays strike your outside rear view mirror, and reflect away from that mirror to your driver's side window... it is conceivable that something powerful (sun) can hit the area of your driver's side window without going through your mirror.

From physics classroom: "The law of reflection states that when a ray of light reflects off a surface, angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection."

From chemistry text: "The angles are measured relative to the (line) perpendicular to the surface at the point where the ray strikes the surface."

Consider taking a concentrated pencil beam LED flash light (or laser light, but wear eye protection), and pointing it at your outside rear view mirror, and moving your light around from origination points above the horizon line to simulate vectors that the sun can actually attack your mirror with, and keep moving it around until the reflection of your flashlight strikes the area on your glass where the crack reappears each time, and note that angle.

Then "reflect" in your mind where you park at what time of day where the sun can "see" your mirror at that angle. Is there a match?

I don't own or drive the 2022 that I special ordered, which has the same driver's side glass problem, but I will ask the driver to do the same, and soon, because I'm already working on an order to replace that truck (with another brand).

Auto glass should be, and has been, manufactured to withstand these types of "incidences", but it could be a combination of elements... such as the "SoundScreen" internal film layer of acoustic glass, coatings and curvatures of upper or lower mirrors, or as in my case, window tinting, that conspire together with the happenstance of a regular parking position that coincides with the sun's rising or setting... that challenges cost reductions taken during the manufacture of the glass.

And the crack is directly behind my mirror, I seriously doubt it's the sunlight.

It's cracked in the exact same spot and way as before. Hopefully the dealer will do something about it. People cant keep having comprehensive auto glass claims every 6 months going forward with our insurances. Coincidence? I seriously don't think so at all. Both crack's are directly behind my mirror. Nothing could hit that location without going through my side mirror first.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:23 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,471 Likes on 911 Posts
The tinted edge around the front windshield is there to prevent thermal effects on cracking the windshield but this feature has never made it to the side windows.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:02 PM
lariat250
Trailering
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm surprised it has a crack and not shattered? Side windows are usually tempered glass and not laminate.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:11 PM
CJ2021
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by lariat250
I'm surprised it has a crack and not shattered? Side windows are usually tempered glass and not laminate.
No it's not tempered. I just got back from my auto glass store today. He said it's safe from shattering (not tempered), as you see people try to punch/headbutt side windows. Told me to have the dealership rip the panel off and see it something is hitting it, or the needs recalibration. I called my dealer and they said Ford don't warranty windows (lol). I laughed and like ok, I'll just take you to small claims. I'll take a picture of you and your standing next the window and when it cracks again. He didn't like that.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:04 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,528 Likes on 1,320 Posts
No it's not tempered. I just got back from my auto glass store today. He said it's safe from shattering (not tempered), as you see people try to punch/headbutt side windows. Told me to have the dealership rip the panel off and see it something is hitting it, or the needs recalibration. I called my dealer and they said Ford don't warranty windows (lol). I laughed and like ok, I'll just take you to small claims. I'll take a picture of you and your standing next the window and when it cracks again. He didn't like that.
Why not just take the panel off yourself and peel the plastic cover and look yourself. The window people have to do this to replace it why not look when they have it apart?

Old 05-06-2024, 06:43 PM
Qvan666
Tuned
Received 265 Likes on 140 Posts
That sounds bogus. After I got my '22 tinted it looked like I had a bubble in the tint on the passenger side window. I took it back and they redid the tint and again it looked like it had a bubble. Once again they replaced the tint but took a very good look at the glass. It had a small pinpoint defect in the glass that the tint did not adhere to, so it looked like a bubble.

Bottom line is Ford warrantied the glass and replaced it. While not the same issue as you, they do in fact warranty glass, under certain circumstances.

bob

Quick Reply: Strange Crack