1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Newly Joined

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 12:08 PM
Rus70416
Trailering
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Newly Joined

Just wanted to introduce myself as being new here. I recently purchased a '64 F-100. Needs a lot of work but starts up and drives!! Definitely loving it can't wait to dig into it

The following 4 users liked this post by Rus70416:
Old 05-02-2024, 01:14 PM
Ohmthis
Mountain Pass
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Awesome truck, what’s your plan for it?

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-02-2024, 01:22 PM
Rus70416
Trailering
Originally Posted by Ohmthis
Awesome truck, what’s your plan for it?
Thanks! I'm not totally sure yet. It needs a lot more than it looks but it starts and drives 😎 This is actually my first project like this. I'm not big on the color but I'd like to have it all complete before worrying about that. Any recommendations?

Old 05-02-2024, 08:55 PM
Ohmthis
Mountain Pass
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
That’s Blasphemy! You don’t like the color??? Check my truck in the 66 Rustomod thread, you’ll understand why I say that

Old 05-02-2024, 09:21 PM
sh944
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I’m with Ohm on this…. That color is to die for, in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:53 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 549 Likes on 437 Posts
Welcome to FTE!
Looks like a pretty straight old truck. Since you say you are new to the restoration game here are a couple of links to some re-pop sellers. Also, the advanced search feature on this forum is excellent for finding Ford part numbers. Just put NumberDummy in the username when you search. Bill posted about every part number there is over the years.
Carolina Classics F100 (carolina-classics.com) Good people, they re-pop the side trim.
Home Page | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts (dennis-carpenter.com) Carpenter own a lot of original Ford tooling and has good shipping prices.
National Parts Depot | Restoring American History | Mustang Parts | Camaro Parts | Chevelle Parts | Ford Truck Parts | T-Bird Parts | Firebird Parts | Chevy Truck Parts (npdlink.com) NPD has several locations and can have higher quality parts choices in some cases if you want to pay up.
Home Page - LMC Truck LMC has a reputation for some less than high quality stuff but sometimes they are the only choice, but they will kill you on shipping if you aren't paying attention.

The following 2 users liked this post by Crop Duster:
Old 05-03-2024, 05:23 AM
Rus70416
Trailering
Originally Posted by Ohmthis
That’s Blasphemy! You don’t like the color??? Check my truck in the 66 Rustomod thread, you’ll understand why I say that
Hold on 😅 its not necessarily the "color" it's the fact they painted EVERYTHING that color! Engine, inside, outside.

Last edited by Rus70416; 05-03-2024 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:38 AM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts
Nice truck. With the exception of the engine that is how Ford did it back then The whole cab, firewall and underneath would have been body color. The engine would have been black with valve covers being Ford Red. Looking at the steering column it may have had a 3 speed trans originally and someone installed a 4 speed. The inner fenders are reproduced so that is an easy fix. The 292 is a great motor some will tell you to get rid of it but I guess it all depends how close to original you intend to keep it. Post a picture of the warranty tag on the drivers door so it can be decoded for you.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:37 PM
Greaser007
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 189 Posts
Very nice score.
That pickup is presentable enough to enjoy as you tend to other stuff.

First off. I'd meticulously go thru the brakes for reassurance that you know what you have under foot.
Next item. Steering. if you plan to retain the original steering, go thru each component and service or replace as needed.
Suspension next. Make sure all shackles are properly lubed and not binding.
Fuel system.
The seat in these old pickups are pretty comfy if rebuilt by a good upholsterer.
The seat in my '77 F350 is like sitting on a living room sofa. (it may provide half the suspension for smoother ride). haha
I remember the seats in a big Lincoln would swallow you up.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:09 AM
Rus70416
Trailering
Very solid advice, thank you! I bought a shop manual for that specific truck and it appears to be very detailed.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:18 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,173 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Originally Posted by Greaser007
Very nice score.
That pickup is presentable enough to enjoy as you tend to other stuff.

First off. I'd meticulously go thru the brakes for reassurance that you know what you have under foot.
Next item. Steering. if you plan to retain the original steering, go thru each component and service or replace as needed.
Suspension next. Make sure all shackles are properly lubed and not binding.
Fuel system.
The seat in these old pickups are pretty comfy if rebuilt by a good upholsterer.
The seat in my '77 F350 is like sitting on a living room sofa. (it may provide half the suspension for smoother ride). haha
I remember the seats in a big Lincoln would swallow you up.
Needs a lot of work and it runs & drives
Could not do that with my truck when I got it

I am 100% with what Greaser said starting with the brakes. You need to stop before you get going in my book.

Now when going thru the truck and you find something bad like with brakes you may want to upgrade at that point, like disc up front?
If the truck has a single port master cly. I would replace it with a dual in a hart beat even if still good for safety.
When you get to a point it is safe to drive do so so you can get a feel of what else the truck may need to make it better.

I can see that color being a little too much when everything is that color
Think I would start inside the cab. Replace that seat cover will help a lot, maybe paint the gauge surround silver or a different color?
I say inside the cab as you will be sitting in it when driving and that would "tone down" the color a little.
Under hood a spray bomb can go a long way. Use tin foil to mask things as it wraps around things and stays, like brake lines, dist. with wires & cap removed when painting the motor.

I can go on but will not
Thing is to have fun doing it
Dave ----

Old 05-04-2024, 06:01 AM
Rus70416
Trailering
I can definitely see how changing the seat cover and a few other little things could help tone it down. Very new to this so I'm not sure what the difference is between a single dual port mc is. I will look into it soon tho! The frame and body are pretty solid not rusted and it's a 4 speed. Pretty cool man I paid 5k for it. Thanks for the advice! When I star digging into it I'm sure I'll have lots of questions

Old 05-04-2024, 10:27 AM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
A single master cylinder is one that has only one reservoir for all 4 brakes. A dual has two reservoirs. One for front one for back brakes. The single style worked fine for decades until the federal government mandated dual in about 1967. I put a ton of money into my restoration. I would put my single reservoir non power brakes up against anything on the road for safety. I do however have a right leg that is 3 times bigger than my left leg. Bottom line is what is your intention for this pickup? Do you want it to be as close to the way it was in 1964 or do you want to make it as good as a pickup you can buy on the lot today? If you want to stay close to original post the warranty plate that is located on the drivers door and someone will decode it for you the way it came from the factory right down to the original color of the seat. I have owned my 64 since about 1980 and have touched every part of it. I am still learning to this day things about it from people on here that have way more knowledge than me on these pickups. So don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember the only dumb question is the one you do not ask.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:48 AM
Rus70416
Trailering
I'm not looking to make it back to original. I definitely want add my own twist to it. Power steering would be nice 😅 I want to be able to take it somewhere and know it won't break down on me, maybe car show quality. Thanks for the info on the dual MC! Im gonna have to find time to work on it while working 6 day's a week and a new baby coming in 2 weeks! Yeah my wife wasn't too happy me buying a truck right before we're expecting but...🤘😎

Old 05-04-2024, 01:38 PM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic

Show her this picture and tell her this is what yours could be with a little elbow grease. Just throwing this out there but if you want to get rid of the single crossover exhaust and put on duals, I have a set of Red's headers I would let you have all you would need to do is pay shipping from Montana.

Quick Reply: Newly Joined