1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger seat modification

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 03:15 PM
73z28cam
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
passenger seat modification

We are going on an extended trip, wife likes to nap, asked if I could get her seat to lay flatter. Has anyone modified the mech pass seat to lay flat?

2001 f350 cclb drw

Old 04-28-2024, 11:45 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,443 Likes on 1,807 Posts
Modifying the seats to lay flatter was a popular mod back in 2001, when your truck was new.

Back at that time, I glanced at a number of different threads where forum members chronicled their seat modification, which involved sawing or grinding off a metal component inside the seat recline mechanism.

But it has been at least 22 years since I have read of it being done, and I would not be able to link those threads without searching, which you can of course do on your own.

I'm just posting to let you know that it can be done, and has been done by others.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-29-2024, 06:37 AM
73z28cam
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ill try to search again

Old 04-30-2024, 06:40 AM
99powerstrokedF250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 366 Likes on 289 Posts
Gonna be the dork here (because I can't say certain words), but let the dog/kid sit up front and have the wife lay down in the back seat?

Old 04-30-2024, 11:50 AM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by 99powerstrokedF250
Gonna be the dork here (because I can't say certain words), but let the dog/kid sit up front and have the wife lay down in the back seat?
A friend of mine's brother died that way. He was napping in the back seat, while his wife was driving. She lost control of the vehicle (while towing a bumper pull trailer). She was wearing a seatbelt and walked away, physically unscathed, emotionally devastated.

Occupant safety was the reason Ford limited the recline... so that occupants would not sublimate under the seatbelt in a forceful enough collision.

Ford later used a similar argument to make all headrests tilt forward... to reduce whiplash... and in so doing made headrests uncomfortable to the point where in some Fords I would have to remove the head rests and install them backwards just to be able to sit in the car.

The twisted irony inherent in the earliest Super Duties not allowing occupants to recline the seats more than 45 degrees... is that Ford now offers "lay flat" seats in present day Super Duties... for an extra charge.

If I get some time this weekend, I'll help you search for threads from the 2000 to 2002 era when folks were frustrated about not being able to simply recline the bucket seat as much as any other automobile or truck with bucket seats or captain's chairs at the time.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:30 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,029 Likes on 789 Posts
Another trick to get the feel of a better recline is to raise the front two legs with spacers.

Old 05-04-2024, 04:52 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
If I get some time this weekend, I'll help you search for threads from the 2000 to 2002 era when folks were frustrated about not being able to simply recline the bucket seat as much as any other automobile or truck with bucket seats or captain's chairs at the time.
As previously promised, I set aside some time this weekend to do a search myself for threads related to revising the front seats of 1999-2003 era Ford Super Duties to recline more.

The original threads from 2001 were lost, due to that forum's (not FTE) then new corporate administrator's assumption that older threads were no longer relevant because of their age, and thus did not need to be saved.

One member, however, named Ryan Arthur (ryaneverk2), just happened to have saved some posts offline, at some point between 2001 and 2005, as he describes in his 2006 post below:

Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
I've got all the posts that were in that mod's thread saved in a Word file on my home computer.
Okay, as promised, here are some more posts on the mod.

Originally Posted by AJ's Dad
For those of You that would like for the seats to recline back more, there is a simple fix. I did both of mine in about 15 minutes. They will now go all the way back untill they hit the back seat in my crew cab. My truck has the captain chair buckets seats, so I don't know about others.

First, take off the plastic cover on the side of the seat, or just pull it out of the way. The lumbar **** will have to be pulled off as well as taking out about 3 phillip head screws.

Next, about in the center of the hinge assembly, there is a an aluminum head that sorta looks like a rivit. Take a 3/8s drill bit and drill all the way thru the hinge until You go thru to the seat material. Be carefull not to hurt the seat fabric.

Now, push the seat fabric back that is behind the hinge and take a large screwdriver and knock whats left of the pin out (It's in a slot in the middle of the hinge). You may have to take some needle nose pliers and lift it out. This is the stop that is in the slot.

Works great on those long road trips. My wife loves it, only thing is I can't get her to help with the driving as much!

Originally Posted by High5 (Edited by Y2K for punctuation, capitals, and breaking up single monolithic paragraph into separate sentences that isolate the key steps and procedures of note in the modification process.)

I just did the 40/20/40 bench in my 99.5 and it worked great.

Don't worry about the two fastners in the front just pull out the big one in the rear. It is a bit of a pain but it will come out.

Also, remove the screw that retains the black plastic screw on the reclining lever.

There will also be a screw holding the seat trim plastic on just beneath the lever.

Then pull the lumbar **** off. There is a screw behind it as well.

I did not remove the two fastners in the front. I just pulled the seat trim plastic away so I could access the aluminum stop.

There are two aluminum stops/rivits so make sure you drill the correct one. It is located more towards the center of the hinge than the one that you do not drill out.

It is easy as that drill it and then reassemble the trim.

I would recommend propping a piece of paper, plastic, or whatever to force the metal shavings to fall out of the truck. After doing the first side and not doing this I was picking the metal shavings from the carpet and it was not fun. I'll have to vacume it out when I get home. I had a piece of paper in the truck that I used to keep the shavings out of the carpet on the other side and it worked great.

I just read this post tonight and I am at work bored so I grabbed the cordless drill with a 3/8" bit and a screw adapter and went out in the parking garage here at work and did it.

(My seats) now fully recline. Maybe alittle later i'll go out and see how they work.

Originally Posted by OB1
This really works but you have TWO potential problems that have to be fixed.

First, Make sure you trim the plastic trim above the black metal lever that rotates up when you lay the seat back. I cut about a 1/2" X 3" off. If you don't, this piece comes up and tears up the trim just above this hinge - right next to the seat on top.

Second, sometimes when you lay the seat all the way back, a black metal piece falls (rotates down) out of the bottom of the hinge mechanism at the forward end of the hinge. It goes back in easily BUT you have to take the trim off. To prevent this, drill a small hole straight through the bracket about 1/2" from the bottom and about a 1/2" from the forward end and put in a 1" self-threading screw. Position the hole for the screw so that this piece will be stopped from falling out the bottom by the screw.

After doing this, this mod will work perfectly every time. Great for catching a decent snooze!

Because ryaneverk2 had saved the foregoing three posts offline, and then reposted them in 2006, these three quotes are all that remain of the original much more comprehensive threads, that included pictures and active discussion, that was lost when the archive of posts made prior to 2003 ended up being purged.

Over the 18 years since Ryan reposted his saved copies, many of the posts on this topic found on all other forums, have reposted what Ryan saved, just as I have done here.

But I'm going to go a bit further and add other posts of interest related to modifying the seats to recline, from a variety of threads. These other threads usually answered the question by someone posting a link to the original threads where this modification was hammered out by the community back when these trucks were new... but all those links with the answers are dead, because the archive was removed.

So only ancillary comments offered to augment the dead links remain, but they are worth including for the reiterive echo effect that offers assurance that the modification is doable, as well as for the heads up on the potentially unfavorable risks.

Originally Posted by big_rooster
yeah if you look at the hinge and lay the seat all the way back you'll see the seat stop for it.

Originally Posted by roktoy
I did the mod to recline the seats all the way back. It has been a few years, but it was on here. You just grind of the stop & replace it with a self tapping screw IRCC. My seats lay all the way back now, its nice.

Originally Posted by Texascadillac42
Yep, its just a matter of drilling out a rivet. All of the passengers that want to sleep in my truck love the mod. When you pull the plastic off the side of the seat, you will easily see what needs to be done.

Originally Posted by SmokeyWren
This is a very SIMPLE mod...drill out a rivit...trim the plastic so the seat goes back all the way...put in a screw to keep the lever from falling.

Not enough to this mod to make it any big deal...piece of cake.

Get out there and "do it to it" and your seats will lay all the way back to the back seat...you can even take a nap in your truck when you're done!

But read the next post too. In a nutshell, if you do this mod then be CERTAIN that nobody ever rides in the back seat behind the modded seat again.

The "next post" that SmokeyWren was referring to is unknown, because the link in that thread was to an older thread that was part of an entire compendium of thead archives that were eliminated when that particular website's corporate ownership changed forum software vendors.

Originally Posted by F350_6
Didn't someone mention a safety issue when involved in a wreck the seat was more prone to snap back and possibly cause more injuries? Just something to keep in mind.

That's all the time I have for now. The sun just peaked out again after a torrential rain, and I need to get outside and get to work.

With what I have posted above, you have enough key word combinations to continue your own search with fruitful results.