2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 06:28 PM
Old_Soul
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I Crazy?

So a little background on me. I am a professional in my late 40's. Have a grown child (not in the house), a long-term girlfriend, and a dog. I am tired of the corporate crap. Fortunately I do have a job that is supposed to be "fully remote". I would like to try to take advantage of that. Currently I am driving a Lexus RX 350, so I am considering the Platinum trim to try to stay somewhat close to the "creature comforts" the RX has. Prior to the RX I had a 5-series BMW.

I have been considering getting a fifth wheel, outfitting it with a mobile office and starlink (or something like it) and hitting the road for extended periods, like months at a time. I have never owned a diesel-powered vehicle before, but am pretty handy with tools and don't mind learning. Is wanting to get an F-450 Platinum a crazy idea? There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in price at the Platinum trim level between a 250 and a 450, so why not go for the truck that has bigger brakes and tighter turning radius. I understand the negatives of the rougher suspension and the 19.5 inch wheels. I would likely opt for the standard output engine instead of the HO.

I greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this matter.

OS

Old 03-25-2024, 06:36 PM
Fordtimes1
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a Platinum 350 CCSB SRW with the diesel. I think you have a great idea and plan on a similar thing in the very near future myself. I love the truck and it pulls like a mule. Ride is a bit rough, but better when hooked to some weight.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-25-2024, 06:38 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,351 Likes on 1,771 Posts
Crazy?
ABSOLUTELY.
This question has been asked and answered numerous times.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:41 PM
Old_Soul
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry if I am asking a question that is frequently asked here. I am have been "snooping" on the board for a several weeks now and haven't seen a topic like this come up. Do you have any suggestions on what term(s) I might try searching for?

Old 03-25-2024, 06:50 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 949 Likes on 583 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Soul
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry if I am asking a question that is frequently asked here. I am have been "snooping" on the board for a several weeks now and haven't seen a topic like this come up. Do you have any suggestions on what term(s) I might try searching for?
Never been a fan of the search function on this forum. Generally turns up useless and/or irrelevant information in my opinion.
Someone will come along with experience in the trucks you’re considering. Not everyone here is so negative.

The following 7 users liked this post by Poncho450:
andrew8406, Bombero, Hwkdrvr, MikeT5200, Pickupmanx2, Quad Racer, silver_pilate and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-25-2024, 06:58 PM
mwheue
More Turbo
Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts
If you're in the position to pay cash for the truck and trailer great. If not you will be taking a big risk. I live and travel in a rv, but I own outright everything including my home to come back to when needed. Can it be done? sure. How much you intend to put away for your eventual retirement? Your current financial health holds the answer to your question..imo!

Old 03-25-2024, 07:21 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 584 Likes on 385 Posts
Recently had a RX450H that I gave to our adult daughter. Great car. Love the Lexus vehicles. Owned several from a couple of RX's, a couple a SC430s, CT200h, LS460 etc. We currently have a 2024 F-450 Platinum with standard 6.7L diesel and a Grand Design 5th wheel RV. But we are retired and use the RV for short weekly trips. For daily drivers we have Teslas and Ford Lightning EVs.

Back to your question. YOU ARE NOT CRAZY! Life is too short to not do what you want while you can.

The F-450 is a beast compared to a Lexus RX but it is probably the most capable tow vehicle for a 5th wheel RV. Drive one before making decision.

Also look into destinations you plan to visit and availability of Campgrounds. Since Covid, reservations at campgrounds can be difficult to book. Lately it's getting better.

The following 3 users liked this post by Flyct:
Old 03-25-2024, 07:26 PM
Black Buzzard
Mountain Pass
Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts
Test drive an F350 first.....the ride is nothing like what you're used to. If you can get over that part, then game on.

Oh....and by they way most new RV's these days are an absolute piece of crap on quality and durability.

The following 3 users liked this post by Black Buzzard:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:03 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Crazy?
ABSOLUTELY.
This question has been asked and answered numerous times.
@Old_Soul nah, not crazy at all. But get a 350 single rear wheel. We have (had) duallies in the fam, the drawbacks are too numerous (6 tires, rotation woes, parking woes, drive thru woes, car wash woes, etc - it’s a long list. But I like your plan. Just go for a 6.7L F350 FX4 and get the trim level you want, then call it a day. Go test drive a few, you’ll see.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:18 PM
silver_pilate
Tuned
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
We tow a fiver multiple times a year, and I daily drive my F350 DRW. I have a F450 KR shipping in right now that will replace it. I live in Texas, but I've not really had any issues that are deal breakers for me. First, DRWs are made to haul, and they haul fifth wheels (and most everything else) like a dream. I use a Goosebox in mine and love it. No bulky fifth wheel hitch to muscle around or take up space when you're not hauling.

Sure, the ride is firmer, but my truck is more comfortable that my wife's Infiniti. Parking has never been an issue for me. Back it in and walk a but further if you have to. I avoid parking garages for obvious reasons. There is one car wash in town I can go through in the dually. For rotation, the back tires wear dead even. Swap the fronts side to side and replace the fronts when the shoulders scuff off. Or for a 450, get steer tires up front.

You only live once, and you can't take it with you. If it isn't going to be financially irresponsible, take your show on the road and see the country while working and enjoying life. I'd get a fiver less than 35' if you can as it opens up a few more locations for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by silver_pilate:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:44 PM
Fox-BLUE1
Mountain Pass
Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Not crazy. I think it’s awesome. Just a thought, if you don’t have kids and don’t need a bunkhouse, you might be able to get a smaller fifth wheel that can get into more state/national parks. You might be able to get away with a SRW 350 too. I agree with @CBEllis on why you should look at SRWs. I went from a gas 250 to a diesel 350 SRW and I love it. It tows our 34 foot fifth wheel like nothing is back there.

Good luck on your decision!

Old 03-25-2024, 08:49 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts
Well hopefully old soul didn’t get runoff by a stupid response before getting good information.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:03 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Received 1,372 Likes on 849 Posts
No such thing as a bad idea, but first rent a motor home and take it on a longer trip once to see if the life style works for you. A lot of people jump head first into full time RVing looking at youtube videos but it's a whole other thing when your black water system breaks, the drivetrain breaks down, or you blow a tire on a remote road hours from roadside service.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:44 PM
gSwift
Tuned
Received 252 Likes on 147 Posts
I'm fully with you on getting more truck than you need. I went from having a SRW F350 to a F450 to pull our toy hauler and even though the 350 pulled it, it just felt sketchy and I never felt comfortable with it, and I've been pulling trailers for many years. The 450 is my favorite truck I've ever owned and it gets daily driven. No issues or regrets. If you're okay with washing your own truck or paying someone to hand wash it, and you don't mind walking from the back of parking lots to avoid tight situations, then you'll love the 450 IMO

Old 03-26-2024, 05:18 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,745 Likes on 1,331 Posts
I'd stick to a F350 SRW and a modest 5th wheel within its capabilities. I assume you would park the camper and use the truck to "daily drive" around the area you are staying in....and a SRW is just easier, especially for unknown locations where you'd have to be mindful of the wide *** on a DRW. It also sounds like you might not be used to driving a truck the size of these things. You will have to scope out drive-thru's, as there were about 4 in my travels in my town that I could not fit through (and this was a regular cab DRW...not a crew cab). Parking lots can be equally challenging.

Originally Posted by Poncho450
Never been a fan of the search function on this forum. Generally turns up useless and/or irrelevant information in my opinion.
Someone will come along with experience in the trucks you’re considering. Not everyone here is so negative.
I find the search here fairly good...you just have to be specific. Choose the forum you want, and search in titles only, and it will be fairly accurate. Narrow it down more to a username (i.e., if you know you posted in the thread you are looking for, search by your username).

Originally Posted by twobelugas
No such thing as a bad idea,
Meth. Doing meth is a bad idea.

The following 4 users liked this post by ATC Crazy:

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy?