2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I hate this black wheel fad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
I hate this black wheel fad!

Seriously...I'm looking at tires and wheels for my truck now, and 8 out of every 10 wheels is only offered in black. I hate it! This black wheel fad is stupid (along with the gold, bronze, and gray ones)!
It seems like everyone wants to brodoze their trucks, and the aftermarket is pandering to their requests. Every truck is a CCSB diesel with a leveling kit, 20-22" BLACK wheels with low profile mud tires and the usual bolt-on trinkets...

I've been looking for hours all week long...find a wheel design I really like....and it's black Cross that one off the list...
There are thousands of wheels out there today for our trucks...and I can only find 2 or 3 that I would buy.

Sorry for the rant and sorry if you have black wheels (you know what they say about opinions!), but I'm just getting fed up with it all.

And on top of that, I gotta pick a tire to go with it....

The following 14 users liked this post by ATC Crazy:
Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Bruin78
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree! I like some chrome on my trucks. Not much for the “murdered” out look myself. Everyone has their own taste I just like some shine on mine. Personally I like simple chrome wheels like the old school Weld super singles from back in the day...

Old 07-10-2019, 07:32 PM
claf
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Ever tried to keep gloss black wheels clean? It's miserable.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by claf
Ever tried to keep gloss black wheels clean? It's miserable.
Worse yet, if you don't painstakingly keep your tires sidewall clean and glossed up...it looks dumb against black wheels...

Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go with the classic Mickey Thompson classic IIs if they make them in a size you like. Been my favorite for years. Had them on my 77. Now I am going to look to see if they are available. HAahaha.

Looks like they have one like it still. Not sure what our bolt circle is on the superduty. They have a 17x9 5in back spacing, 8x170 bolt circle, 3500 load capacity.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Gadget185
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATC
I'm with you. I don't care for it either. It looks decent on a few vehicles but mostly not. Now It is all about blacking everything out. It does nothing for me.
Often the black wheels and tires fade into the fender well and disappear, there is no contrast. what is left is a vehicle that appears to be floating in air..
I grew up with polished aluminum and that is what I like. I don't want a lot of chrome but just enough to accent the vehicle is nice.
But I suppose if it is your vehicle you can have it however you like it

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-10-2019, 07:52 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Received 626 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Seriously...I'm looking at tires and wheels for my truck now, and 8 out of every 10 wheels is only offered in black. I hate it! This black wheel fad is stupid (along with the gold, bronze, and gray ones)!
It seems like everyone wants to brodoze their trucks, and the aftermarket is pandering to their requests. Every truck is a CCSB diesel with a leveling kit, 20-22" BLACK wheels with low profile mud tires and the usual bolt-on trinkets...

I've been looking for hours all week long...find a wheel design I really like....and it's black Cross that one off the list...
There are thousands of wheels out there today for our trucks...and I can only find 2 or 3 that I would buy.

Sorry for the rant and sorry if you have black wheels (you know what they say about opinions!), but I'm just getting fed up with it all.

So since you’re so against colored wheels what would you like them to be ? Chrome? Sorry man chrome is out it’s terrible looking !! And this is coming from someone who ran a powder coating business, chrome aluminum DOES NOT work!! You’ll get maybe 2 years out of them before they peel, unless you live in a state that doesn’t get snow of any kind(salt and brine destroy chrome aluminum wheels). I’m sorry you’re so against colored wheels, but if I was a manufacturer I wouldn’t offer chrome either, simply because one winter and you’ll be getting warranty calls for flaking/peeling chrome !! Wheels are expensive having to warranty them all the time because they peel would suck!! Polished aluminum is a good option, but you gotta be willing to put in the time to polish them often!! My suggestion for you would be find a style you like, pay someone to strip them, then chrome them or polish them. That seems to be what you’re after

Old 07-10-2019, 08:10 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I was planning on blacking out my next truck but not I think I might just black out the grill and side vent and leave the bumpers and wheels shiny.

On big trucks I'm the opposite, chrome everything. Back when I used to drive truck I had a bunch of chrome and lights on them, it looked really nice but I ended up spending most of my free time polishing.

I will never own another polished aluminum wheel on something that sees salt or gravel roads due to the work required to keep them looking like new.

Black looks nice when clean but like mentioned above they are hard to keep clean and if you don't keep the tires clean also it looks bad too.

Gun metal grey wheels look nice but I hate the designer colors. I saw a nice blacked out super duty awhile back and it had dull copper colored wheels which looked awful

Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Received 626 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
I was planning on blacking out my next truck but not I think I might just black out the grill and side vent and leave the bumpers and wheels shiny.

On big trucks I'm the opposite, chrome everything. Back when I used to drive truck I had a bunch of chrome and lights on them, it looked really nice but I ended up spending most of my free time polishing.

I will never own another polished aluminum wheel on something that sees salt or gravel roads due to the work required to keep them looking like new.

Black looks nice when clean but like mentioned above they are hard to keep clean and if you don't keep the tires clean also it looks bad too.

Gun metal grey wheels look nice but I hate the designer colors. I saw a nice blacked out super duty awhile back and it had dull copper colored wheels which looked awful

Powder coat wheels are super easy to keep clean, apply Sonax PNS and you’re good to go!! Hose them off and they look new.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I’m with ya I’ve been looking at aftermarket wheels for my dually, almost all are black. I’ve been trying to make myself like them but... so far no joy.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:44 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JHForman812
So since you’re so against colored wheels what would you like them to be ? Chrome? Sorry man chrome is out it’s terrible looking !! And this is coming from someone who ran a powder coating business, chrome aluminum DOES NOT work!! You’ll get maybe 2 years out of them before they peel, unless you live in a state that doesn’t get snow of any kind(salt and brine destroy chrome aluminum wheels). I’m sorry you’re so against colored wheels, but if I was a manufacturer I wouldn’t offer chrome either, simply because one winter and you’ll be getting warranty calls for flaking/peeling chrome !! Wheels are expensive having to warranty them all the time because they peel would suck!! Polished aluminum is a good option, but you gotta be willing to put in the time to polish them often!! My suggestion for you would be find a style you like, pay someone to strip them, then chrome them or polish them. That seems to be what you’re after
I'm not a big fan of chrome wheels either...although I would rate them above black. I like the machined look. Polished is fine too, but I fear I'd be too lazy to keep them polished. Heck, I haven't even washed my truck in 3 months! LoL
I ran XD Addicts on my last two Dodges...

​​​​​​​

Old 07-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
I love the stock wheels. I can’t think of another wheel I’d be happier with.

The following 4 users liked this post by Section179:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:50 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy

Lol.... i like black and silver wheels. Lucky me. 😁

Old 07-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Travis Runty
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be cool man. :-)

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 PM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Section179
I love the stock wheels. I can’t think of another wheel I’d be happier with.
Ya know, so do I.....liking the Ford wheel saved us a boat load of dough.....LOL

Quick Reply: I hate this black wheel fad!