6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

"You'll gum it up....."

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question "You'll gum it up....."

"if you don't work the 6.7l engine HARD by pulling heavy loads, etc."
This is what a sales person told me yesterday.
Interestingly, a different sales person told me the same thing 15 years ago when I was looking for a used 7.3l truck. Well, I found one and put a quarter of a million miles on it only using the truck for "heavy " work occasionally throughout the years. I have had zero problems with the engine.
So is this guy blowing smoke or is there truth to what he says? I am likely to order a new 2020 350 in the fall as I can't stay ahead of the rust on my '97 7.3 250. I will pull a camper with the new truck several times a year and even more after I retire from my job later in 2020.
I love the idea of a long-lived diesel engine in a rust proof aluminum box. But this guy told me I should go gas.
Opinions??

I have been away from these forums for a very long time, but when I was here much more frequently, there was never a shortage of opinions on anything!
Thanks!!

Old 06-15-2019, 09:21 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Going gas or diesel is a matter of choice. If you pull a 5th wheel than by all means get the diesel. I am retired and have pulled mine from coast to coast a couple times and numerous trips inside the USA to different states. My 5er is a 34' er at 13,000#. I have a F25SRW. If you go F350 you can still get the 10,000 payload package same as the F250 SRW. You can also get the 11,500 package with a SRW but you will have to specify it when you order it. If you plan to go DRW than you can pull just about any 5th wheel out there.
I have had zero problems with my15 F250 6.7 with 60,000 miles and over 30,000 towing. I believe the newer trucks are getting better and better but wow the price tag is astronomic. Guess a new truck isn't in my future.
The new diesel is so much better than the diesels of old. You will be surprised at how the truck handles a load. Not sure what the salesman met by you will gum it up not pulling a load. he must be talking about the 6.0's LOL
Maybe he had a lot of gas trucks on the lot he wanted to dump.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,631 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by ckal704
"if you don't work the 6.7l engine HARD by pulling heavy loads, etc."
This is what a sales person told me yesterday.
Interestingly, a different sales person told me the same thing 15 years ago when I was looking for a used 7.3l truck. Well, I found one and put a quarter of a million miles on it only using the truck for "heavy " work occasionally throughout the years. I have had zero problems with the engine.
So is this guy blowing smoke or is there truth to what he says? I am likely to order a new 2020 350 in the fall as I can't stay ahead of the rust on my '97 7.3 250. I will pull a camper with the new truck several times a year and even more after I retire from my job later in 2020.
I love the idea of a long-lived diesel engine in a rust proof aluminum box. But this guy told me I should go gas.
Opinions??

I have been away from these forums for a very long time, but when I was here much more frequently, there was never a shortage of opinions on anything!
Thanks!!
Typical salesman!!! Opens mouth and nothing but BS flows out!!!!!LOL
About the only thing that “gums them up” is bad fuel, wrong fuel, DEF in fuel tank, etc.. Or electronic problems, which can happen in either gas or diesel.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:23 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,712 Likes on 2,754 Posts
That salesman may have been referring to running the engine hard to clear out the exhaust/emissions. When I tow in the mountains I sometimes see a passive regen. Longer trips help get the DPF down to a 0% full reading on teh gauge.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:24 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
The engine is fine, it's the emissions that'll give you grief at some point daily driving empty. EGR cooler, DPF, DEF injector, etc.. Mostly short drives and idling will rapidly increase emission system issues for example, any modern diesel isn't exactly designed for that use case. However, if you drive a mix of highway with some city and even only tow occasionally, the 6.7L will be fine. If you tow often, even better.

How heavy is the camper? If you plan on more traveling with the camper in retirement, I'm thinking the 6.7L will work great for you. You'll give it plenty of work and the power is generated effortlessly making for a comfortable drive. There are many knowledgeable folks here and a lot of good threads to review. After some time, you'll return ready to order confident in what you want and can ignore the recommendations/opinions of that person. It sounds like he is wanting to be helpful instead of simply selling a premium cost truck but ultimately, that is your decision. Although I don't think I've heard that phrase in reference to a modern engine.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
You will read similar comments here but they are not what I have experienced.

I've owned two, 6.7l diesels and put well over 100,000 miles on them cumulatively. Never towed a trailer and the toughest load that either truck had was mulch from Menards. Zero issues with either truck. My daily commute was 9.5 miles each way with a top speed of 40mph.

Purchase an extended warranty and let Ford worry about it getting gummed up. ESP covers pollution systems.

I own a 6.2l today but may own a 6.7l again in the future.

Bruce

Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Thanks!
Great Advice!

Old 06-15-2019, 12:31 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Thanks!! I appreciate your advice.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:52 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

I agree, put the eight year ESP Premium care on it as part of the cost of the vehicle and just drive it/follow maintenance. If you drive a lot of miles and want further protection for the engine, there is a plan (or at least used to be) that takes the engine to 200,000 miles.

You may never need it but mine paid for itself several times and since the expiration, I have missed it while paying for repairs myself.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:30 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by kper05
I agree, put the eight year ESP Premium care on it as part of the cost of the vehicle and just drive it/follow maintenance. If you drive a lot of miles and want further protection for the engine, there is a plan (or at least used to be) that takes the engine to 200,000 miles.

You may never need it but mine paid for itself several times and since the expiration, I have missed it while paying for repairs myself.
As near as I can tell, the key word there is "Premium". The lower level plans don't seem to cover emissions. I just looked at my contract for my PremiumCare ESP and instead of listing those components that it does cover, it simply says, "... all Failures are covered Except ...".

Old 06-15-2019, 07:46 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by HRTKD
As near as I can tell, the key word there is "Premium". The lower level plans don't seem to cover emissions. I just looked at my contract for my PremiumCare ESP and instead of listing those components that it does cover, it simply says, "... all Failures are covered Except ...".
As another example, I don't think even Premium Care covers the DPF (it's not in the listed components). Is the DPF in the exception list on your contract?

Of course, anyone planning this purchase would do the research to ensure the hardware coverage works for their needs.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I was going to ask the same question. I have heard the ESP plans don't cover emission control systems. 50% of the repairs needed on the 6.7l are emissions related. Sounds like a waste of money to me, spend that money on a delete kit instead of an ESP plan if your state allows it.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:24 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by kper05
As another example, I don't think even Premium Care covers the DPF (it's not in the listed components). Is the DPF in the exception list on your contract?

Of course, anyone planning this purchase would do the research to ensure the hardware coverage works for their needs.
All I can find is this in the not covered section:
exhaust system (includes catalytic converter)

Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 AM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Keep reading until you find the part that says all your maintenance has to be documented with service performed, date, and mileage on the receipt or your warranty is no good any more. Meaning: if you do your own oil changes you're screwed. I doubt they're gonna accept amazon order receipts with the date and mileage scribbled on...

Old 06-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Sader
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW
I had a 05 6.0L that I was told similar things, I am glad I bought that truck ! Later in my ownership it turned into a grocery getter, never had any issues with that diesel. Probably the best truck by far that I have owned yet,although I have not had the 6.7 long enough to compare. The 6.7 is even better thus far (except for fuel consumption) and the most work its done so far is a load of firewood.

You have to remember most vehicle sales men don't know their *** from their elbow when it comes to what they are selling. They spit out half truths and hearsay to get a sale, I have learned far more on this forum than any dealership. ;-)

Quick Reply: "You'll gum it up....."