2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2019 F-250 XL to XLT Instrument Cluster Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:32 AM
F350super
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 F-250 XL to XLT Instrument Cluster Upgrade

All,

As I searched and searched and never came up with a definitive answer for my specific truck, I figure I'd post this up here.

I bought my 2019 F-250 XL with the 2.3 productivity blue abomination screen in the instrument cluster. After much searching, reading on the F-150 forums, and speculation, decided to take the risk and purchase a 4.2" XLT cluster from a wrecked 2018 model F-250. After I plugged it in and verified it would work I contacted many different places to see if they could match the odometer for me (my truck was new, had approx 2.3k miles on it and the new cluster had 19k) and had no luck. The two dealers I contacted wouldn't even give me the information of who they shipped the clusters out to to be adjusted which was infuriating. I know I was asking for a "roll-back" in the mileage, but I was willing to provide all documentation, proof of purchase, notary witness of mileage, whatever it took.

So, that's where this post also comes in for those considering the upgrade- yes, it's a direct plug-in, but for programming a HUGE shout-out to FTE member "Livnitup". I saw he was able to do F-150's, and after contacting him although he couldn't promise the idle hours and engine hours on a F-250 without playing first, he ended up getting all 3 of those items 100% correct for me. He had next day turn-around, great communication, and professional as can be right down to the packaging for shipping back. If anybody else is looking to do this upgrade, I can't recommend him more and definitely worth the swap.

Tony

The following 2 users liked this post by F350super:
Old 06-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Interesting project. Had an '04 SD that I put a Harley-Davidson cluster in, at that time there was a guy in the DFW area doing the resets, had good results. Wondering about the difference in cost for the XL vs an XLT in the first place, considering the time/cost of the replacement dash?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:04 AM
F350super
New User
Hey Mud Doc,

I personally think I got pretty lucky on the replacement / upgrade cluster price- I got it for $100 bucks with shipping using a junkyard search website. It had a cracked lens in the lower corner, but worked fine. I ended up just swapping the lens from my old cluster. Took about 30 minutes to take out the old one, swap lens, and put in the new one in in total. Probably spent more time looking for the metric nut driver. The way the dash comes apart is nice, the clips / attachment points are easy to undo, and don't get weak after pulling apart like some of the older trucks I've taken apart. As far as down-time, my truck isn't my daily driver, so since I had to ship the cluster off from Ohio to Cali to be programmed, I had the truck sitting for a week because I wanted to be 100% sure the mileage and hours would match.

As far as cost to program, I think it would be unfair to post what Livnitup's charged without his consent. I'll say this- a new dash cluster from Tasca Ford online was $355 I think, with a $300 dollar core and they won't take your old one as it isn't the same model- my understanding however is they do send it programmed with the correct mileage, but not engine / idle hours. I'm definitely well under $655+shipping+tax. ;-)

As far as cost on XL vs XLT for trucks as a whole- I'm a particular person and wanted a regular cab with minimal features and comfort. Call me a traditionalist. That pretty much ruled out every color but white sitting at any dealer lot. Normally I custom order, but I'm going to wait and get exactly what I want when the 7.3 gasser comes out. So, I found a truck relatively near me that was a custom order in Black and had everything I wanted except camper package (which I changed and posted in another thread) and vinyl seats.. I have cloth. If anybody has a grey set of vinyl in a regular cab near NE Ohio, I'd be more than happy to swap you for my cloth.

I'll be driving this truck for at least 3-4 years. People are funny and fickle, and for my personal taste, I hated that XL cluster and blue screen with a passion. I'd have paid the $655+ without thinking twice...

Tony

Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Lewdav58
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tony, @F350super
Thanks for the detailed post. I am interested in doing the same upgrade to my truck. I hate the little blue screen in my 19 F250.

Do you have the part number for the cluster you installed? Did all of the functions in the new cluster work after the install? Gain any additional ones? I have a trailer brake controller. That’s the only option I have added so far.

It looks like there are three different part numbers to chose from....Do you know which one worked for your configuration?

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Old 06-11-2019, 03:59 PM
markusarealuis
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lewdav58

Not completely sure, but I believe your three options listed above are:
package 1 = tiny llittle 2"X2" inch screen that looks like crap
package 2 = larger 4"X~5" (approximate size) inch screen show in the first image from the OP
package 3 = almost full screen display with most of the bells and whistles like below (the one I want lol)

This is the version I want - keep in mind mine is diesel

Old 06-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Livnitup
Senior User

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Info Package 3 is the 8" display. Keep in mind there's a $300 core charge on top of the prices listed and they won't take your smaller cluster as the core so you'll be eating the $300.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:19 PM
markusarealuis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Livnitup
Info Package 3 is the 8" display. Keep in mind there's a $300 core charge on top of the prices listed and they won't take your smaller cluster as the core so you'll be eating the $300.
I am willing to eat the $300 core charge just to watch that 2.5 inch screen burn in my fireplace. LivinItup, how much would you charge me to set my mileage, hours etc on a new cluster? My truck currently has 7,435 miles not sure on hours and other things.....but can send you a pic or whatever - I want to keep my mileage accurate for service and other things.
email me:
mark_mccreary@baylor.edu

Old 06-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Livnitup
Senior User

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by markusarealuis
I am willing to eat the $300 core charge just to watch that 2.5 inch screen burn in my fireplace. LivinItup, how much would you charge me to set my mileage, hours etc on a new cluster? My truck currently has 7,435 miles not sure on hours and other things.....but can send you a pic or whatever - I want to keep my mileage accurate for service and other things.
email me:
Email sent

Old 06-11-2019, 07:38 PM
2018f250stx
Senior User
Keep us posted on your progress, I did the same upgrade on my 2014 f150 stx and would love to do it on my 2018 f250 stx

Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 AM
markusarealuis
Senior User
Okay, keeping you guys updated. I decided to go with a junkyard cluster out of a 2018 Lariat diesel that I found for much cheaper than the new cluster. The used cluster from the wrecked F250 Lariat was in San Anotonio Texas and I had them ship it to me here in Waco (it arrives today). I have also contacted LivinItup via email and he was super responsive and very honest. He couldn't guarantee the 2018 cluster will fit/work in my 2019 but he said he would do his best. I will be shipping the cluster to him tomorrow after I inspect the used part and make sure I am happy with the appearance since you never know what you get from junkyard. LivinItup is a tremendous help thus far and sounds like he really knows his stuff. He has provided me instructions on what he needs from me in order to reprogram engine hours, idle time, and mileage. My plan is to not drive much after I send him pics of mileage and hours. Anyways when I unpack the cluster tonight I will take some pics of it. After LivinItup programs my cluster and I receive it back it should be plug and play (fingers crossed that it doesn't screw my truck up!).

Old 06-17-2019, 01:32 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about the other side of the coin, what if you purchased new OEM hardware, would a dealer set it to match the original? thanks.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Lewdav58
New User
Great input Mark. Thanks for the details. Did you pick the Lariat over the XLT display for any specific reason? Let me know if you get any additional functions. I am still looking for a cluster.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:52 PM
markusarealuis
Senior User
Originally Posted by delorenzomp
what about the other side of the coin, what if you purchased new OEM hardware, would a dealer set it to match the original? thanks.
You could buy it directly OEM if you have a VIN number to match the style cluster you want, however, they would only program your mileage and engine hours and idle times would not be done.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I bought a cluster out of a wrecked Platinum for $165 from LKQ. It only had 18 miles on it, poor guy haha.

I just plugged it in and everything worked as intended. I didn't change the mileage because LivinItUp didn't have the software figured out yet and it was only a couple hundred miles off.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:57 PM
markusarealuis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lewdav58
Great input Mark. Thanks for the details. Did you pick the Lariat over the XLT display for any specific reason? Let me know if you get any additional functions. I am still looking for a cluster.
Thank you Lewday58. I picked the lariat because it was the larger version of the cluster and it was the only cluster in that size available from junkyards all over. I also, did a search with LQK and they are cheaper but did not have any clusters in the version that I wanted. My existing cluster is the micky mouse tiny blue screen and it is difficult to navigate and hard to read (plus looks like garbage lol). I did find several of the medium style clusters with the ~4 inch color display from LQK for $186 or so. I just wanted the bigger version to display actual temperature number etc. Also, I believe there are some other functions more user friendly in the larger cluster with off-road display.

Quick Reply: 2019 F-250 XL to XLT Instrument Cluster Upgrade