Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Smog station recommendations for Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 11:42 AM
714shane
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smog station recommendations for Southern California

Good morning all, I'm hoping someone could recommend a good diesel smog shop in the Long Beach, orange county, or LA areas. I plan to check computer codes, run a clean tune, and take care of any obvious issues but the visual inspection still concerns me. The vehicle is a 2000 7.3 E350 4x4. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone is willing to share via private message.
Thank you

Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 PM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Make sure your ready codes are set.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:24 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 714shane
Good morning all, I'm hoping someone could recommend a good diesel smog shop in the Long Beach, orange county, or LA areas. I plan to check computer codes, run a clean tune, and take care of any obvious issues but the visual inspection still concerns me. The vehicle is a 2000 7.3 E350 4x4. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone is willing to share via private message.
Thank you
What "visual" items have you concerned? Also, you might consider posting in the SoCal chapter. Good group of Superduty guys there.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:26 PM
714shane
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nick 99
Make sure your ready codes are set.
​​​​​​Hmmm... thank you for the tip I appreciate it. I didn't consider this at all. I did fix some code issues today. I know there was an AIH code and a ebpv code in the system before I fixed the cause of the issue. I ran a scanner after everything was fixed and no codes were found. I will have to look to see if the codes in the memory may cause a problem

Old 03-17-2019, 11:33 PM
714shane
Junior User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
What "visual" items have you concerned? Also, you might consider posting in the SoCal chapter. Good group of Superduty guys there.
I have a KC38R with no where to run the vacuum line since the van did not originally come equipped with a wastegated turbo, blank pedistole, and a CNC 4 line feed feed kit. Also the Riffraff billet plenums, but I'm not sure if those will cause any issues. I also left the boost fooler hooked up due to not having any hose on hand. I will probably change that out just to be safe. Thanks for the tip on the so cal section I will have to check it out

Old 03-17-2019, 11:57 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 816 Likes on 595 Posts
When you clear the codes a specific "drive cycle" needs to be completed before it can be smogged. IIRC there is a P1000 soft code set until the series of events clears it. You can goog the details but basically drive it around under varied conditions for a day or two before taking it in.

Not sure about the turbo. Non stock so definite fail, but only if it looks wrong and the tech notices it. Blank pedestal is obvious fail, CNC 4 line feed is another fail but not as obvious. I hid my boost fooler behind the AC compressor. Make it look stock to avoid problems. Best of luck.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:23 AM
714shane
Junior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
When you clear the codes a specific "drive cycle" needs to be completed before it can be smogged. IIRC there is a P1000 soft code set until the series of events clears it. You can goog the details but basically drive it around under varied conditions for a day or two before taking it in.

Not sure about the turbo. Non stock so definite fail, but only if it looks wrong and the tech notices it. Blank pedestal is obvious fail, CNC 4 line feed is another fail but not as obvious. I hid my boost fooler behind the AC compressor. Make it look stock to avoid problems. Best of luck.
​​​​​​Lucky I didn't clear any codes manually. After hooking everything back up they went away on their own. I will definitely double check the system before taking it in. Thanks again for taking the time to offer this advice. It is very much appreciated.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:44 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Running no vacuum lines, k/n-fipk intake with no CARB sticker, my own fuel line feed(30r9 plumbing)..etc, i had success at a smog station just EAST of Rose ave, just past Carls on Y.L.blvd..left side. Hit on the blonde fat chick and ur good

Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Your inbox is full.

Smog Test Only Discount Center. 14834 Valley Blvd, City of Industry, CA 91746

The owner's name is Sam, half crazy and fun character. One of my friends had an issue with him over an aftermarket air intake that didn't have a CARB EO sticker, he apparently doesn't realize they're legal. Other than that something will have to stand out as obviously modded to be scrutinized.

He usually has a helper on Wed., and some random days, (Brian I think) that will go over it with a fine toothed comb and fail you for anything possible. Call to make sure Sam will be there.

PM me your number and I'll text you mine, if I'm available when you're going I'll join, it'll add a little leeway and possibly a deeper discount. If you have a modded intake I'll talk to him before hand to verify if he's learned that they're legal on diesels.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:44 AM
714shane
Junior User
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
Your inbox is full.

Smog Test Only Discount Center. 14834 Valley Blvd, City of Industry, CA 91746

The owner's name is Sam, half crazy and fun character. One of my friends had an issue with him over an aftermarket air intake that didn't have a CARB EO sticker, he apparently doesn't realize they're legal. Other than that something will have to stand out as obviously modded to be scrutinized.

He usually has a helper on Wed., and some random days, (Brian I think) that will go over it with a fine toothed comb and fail you for anything possible. Call to make sure Sam will be there.

PM me your number and I'll text you mine, if I'm available when you're going I'll join, it'll add a little leeway and possibly a deeper discount. If you have a modded intake I'll talk to him before hand to verify if he's learned that they're legal on diesels.
PM inbound! And inbox cleared. Thank you!!!!

Old 03-18-2019, 01:11 PM
714shane
Junior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Running no vacuum lines, k/n-fipk intake with no CARB sticker, my own fuel line feed(30r9 plumbing)..etc, i had success at a smog station just EAST of Rose ave, just past Carls on Y.L.blvd..left side. Hit on the blonde fat chick and ur good
Hahaha! Thanks for the tip Timmyboy. I'm will to do just about anything to get this inspection behind me

Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
I have a KC38R with no where to run the vacuum line since the van did not originally come equipped with a wastegated turbo, blank pedistole, and a CNC 4 line feed feed kit. Also the Riffraff billet plenums, but I'm not sure if those will cause any issues. I also left the boost fooler hooked up due to not having any hose on hand. I will probably change that out just to be safe. Thanks for the tip on the so cal section I will have to check it out
You're going to fail with that turbo or pedestal. Period. Doesn't matter what you do, or who you take it to. End of story.

If by "good" shop you mean "one that will pass my non-stock configuration without asking any questions" then you are out of luck. The state tests smog shops and tries to put vehicles through to see how thorough they are, and they come down hard on shops that miss stuff. No smog shop owner is going to put his license at risk for passing a non-stock vehicle, and no smog technician is going to risk his personal certification or potential criminal charges, either.

You can put the stock config back in place and then rip it all out again, you can register the truck out of state and hope you don't get pulled over and asked any questions (which you don't actually have to answer, but that's another thread) or you can sell it (again, out of state because the next CA owner is going to need a smog cert to register it). Those are really your only options.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:20 PM
714shane
Junior User
Originally Posted by andym
You're going to fail with that turbo or pedestal. Period. Doesn't matter what you do, or who you take it to. End of story.

If by "good" shop you mean "one that will pass my non-stock configuration without asking any questions" then you are out of luck. The state tests smog shops and tries to put vehicles through to see how thorough they are, and they come down hard on shops that miss stuff. No smog shop owner is going to put his license at risk for passing a non-stock vehicle, and no smog technician is going to risk his personal certification or potential criminal charges, either.

You can put the stock config back in place and then rip it all out again, you can register the truck out of state and hope you don't get pulled over and asked any questions (which you don't actually have to answer, but that's another thread) or you can sell it (again, out of state because the next CA owner is going to need a smog cert to register it). Those are really your only options.
I appreciate your insight on the visual aspect of the inspection.

Based on all the comments I have a good idea of what I need to take care of to do this right. Thank you all again for the info so generously shared

Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
The vehicle is a 2000 7.3 E350 4x4.
A pic would be nice

Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
A pic would be nice
excellent catch, biggy
Besides the waterpump, everything else is WAY tucked back there. Shane, id still go hog'n if 88 doesnt come thru

Quick Reply: Smog station recommendations for Southern California