Gas Detector Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Gas Detector Replacement?

Every time I pull my ATV into my trailer the gas detector goes off. So that means it's working, right? LOL

My trailer is 13 years old and I think it's fair to assume that it still has the original gas detector in it. I've been told they have a limited life span that is far less than 13 years.

Is there anything I need to know about replacing the gas detector? Is one brand or type of detector better than others?

Old 03-05-2019, 07:39 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I would assume the gasoline detector in a TH is going to be similar to the propane detector in design and function. These things have a five year life span IIRC. When I had to replace my propane detector, I simply cut the wires and then shopped Amazon.com with the part number. Found the identical unit in a choice of black or cream colors for a reasonable price. By buying the same unit I ensured the hole in the wall would be properly covered and the wiring would be the same. I don't imagine any one brand is more desirable than another.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 AM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
One addition to wrvond comments, when my propane detector reached about 5 years, it started the annoying chirping to let you know to replace it. Do not like to assume, so I would guess yours could be similar. They are inexpensive, so option 1, buy a new one and see if it does the same. Or, option 2, I believe mine had the date stamped on the back of it. Check to see if yours has a date tag.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:41 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm assuming you're referring to a Carbon Monoxide (CO) gas detector?

If so, then yes, they have a 5 year lifespan. Their should be a date on it somewhere.

As far as the detector going off when you drive the atv inside, that sounds right to me. You're running an internal combustion gas engine, making CO exhaust, in a small enclosed area. I'd hope the detector is going off.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 PM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
Yes I was told five years and that goes for the ones in homes also, easy to replace. Mine went off during the winter storage. Another time parents bought new CO one as an additional and complained it kept going off. Come to find out old ones were dead and furnace was bad. They were lucky.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:44 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I finally got off my duff and ordered a replacement. It's a combo propane and CO detector.

I was staining the cabinets in the RV today. I thought that the smell of the stain was heavy enough it set off the detector, but it didn't.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:49 PM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
If your dog passes gas anywhere near the detector it will set it off, lol. Same with certain hair sprays. My unit still has the original CO/Propane detector and is going into it's 7th year. The thing about these units is they will tell you when they need to be replaced. If you carry a cordless vac or something of that nature, run it over the detector to suck out any dust or debris that may be inside. This will prolong its life. That being said I have a replacement sitting in the camper just in case. These things have a habit of going off between 12am and 6am. Made by Safe-T-Alert.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:44 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by TCNashville
Made by Safe-T-Alert.
That's the same brand I ordered. I found a cross reference that said it was an exact fit for the OEM model I have now.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:49 PM
december45
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the Carbon Monoxide tester, but the propane detector has a light on it saying it is in working order.... It seems to function according to the way it is suppose to work but I know it is older than 5 years I am thinking of just keeping this one and use it until it tells me its not working.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:07 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
I just replaced my propane detector a couple months ago. I was manufactured in 2012......started beeping, and the light indicated tie to replace.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:52 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Our camper came with only one propane detector...mounted near the appliance cluster (furnace, water heater, stove, and refrigerator) toward the rear of camper. We had a gas regulator (near front of camper) decide to leak after midnight. Lucky I don't trust the auto tank selector and keep one tank shut off or both tanks would have emptied. Also lucky the wife woke up and smelled the gas inside our camper. Point is, I'll be adding a detector in the front of the camper.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:52 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
It looks like my CO/gas detector is already on its way out. For no apparent reason, it was going off when I visited the trailer at the storage lot. There was plenty of 12 volt power, so that wasn't the problem. This has happened twice. Both times I've turned off power to the 12 volt system, given the detector a couple minutes to discharge, and then powered back up with no alarms from the detector. I don't think there is a backup battery in the detector since it's not easy to remove and I don't recall installing a battery.

I have a handheld gas detector that I'm going to keep in the trailer so I can check it against the detector in the RV so I can see if there really is a problem. But I think the RV unit is headed toward a premature death. The original detector lasted 10 years. The new one didn't make it three years.

I'll pay more attention to the error lights on the unit. I need to check the date of manufacture also. There are a lot of complaints about getting units that were already two years old.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:54 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
Received 191 Likes on 157 Posts
Just an off topic fyi, those little stinkers are the main parasitic battery draw when your trailer is sitting not used. (I have a battery disconnect now on mine). If you leave the battery in yours, connected, it's always a good idea to pull the fuse on this devise.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:25 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by SpencerPJ
Just an off topic fyi, those little stinkers are the main parasitic battery draw when your trailer is sitting not used. (I have a battery disconnect now on mine). If you leave the battery in yours, connected, it's always a good idea to pull the fuse on this devise.
82 mA isn't much though it does add up over time. The 640 watts of PV on the roof of the RV keep my system well charged. I have been tracking down which devices are in each fuse. I don't think that the gas detector is one that I've figured out.

Old 05-13-2022, 04:11 PM
Johnny Paycheck
Laughing Gas
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Those detectors are just generally low quality junk.

I got about three years out of five on the one that came in my trailer. Nothing beats getting a blast at 3:00am every so offensive that won’t reset and the dog doesn’t like it either. I cut the wires to that one and replaced it with a much better looking plug-in CO/explosive gas detector piece ordered from Home Depot, if memory serves correct.

Quick Reply: Gas Detector Replacement?