1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E-fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Wildcat13
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-fuel issues

Ok so I got my home brew e-fuel conversion complete today. Cranked it up and adjusted the regulator to 70psi at idle. Runs great, no issues at all while idling. Take it out for a spin and it's a dog. No power and wants to stall when I stop. I have no way of knowing what the pressure is while driving. No leaks. I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. Anybody got any ideas?

Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
You need to rig up a gauge of some sort to see what the psi is under load. What pump are you using?

Old 02-14-2019, 07:10 PM
Wildcat13
Junior User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
You need to rig up a gauge of some sort to see what the psi is under load. What pump are you using?
Dual SD pumps, aeromotive pressure regulator

Old 02-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Wildcat13
Junior User
Tried cranking again late last night. Truck would crank and again idle great but took forever to actually start. Air in the lines? Or bigger issue?

Old 02-15-2019, 10:49 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
What fuel pressure do you have when just key on and when at idle?
What temp was it last night?

You could have air in the lines and can take a good run to purge it out.

get a 100 PSI gauge and a long grease gun hose to extend it out of the hood to take on a test run

Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How is the home-brew system plumbed in? How are the pumps powered ON? Almost sounds like when going down the road the pumps are loosing power. Are you using an oil pressure switch to keep the pumps running? On two systems I've installed (single pump) I just jumpered the pump plus terminal to battery positive and you could hear the pump running, air purging thru the lines and it took maybe 10-15 seconds total.

I know, a lot of questions, sorry but knowing how it's plumbed in might help visualize possible problems.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Wildcat13
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hussler
How is the home-brew system plumbed in? How are the pumps powered ON? Almost sounds like when going down the road the pumps are loosing power. Are you using an oil pressure switch to keep the pumps running? On two systems I've installed (single pump) I just jumpered the pump plus terminal to battery positive and you could hear the pump running, air purging thru the lines and it took maybe 10-15 seconds total.

I know, a lot of questions, sorry but knowing how it's plumbed in might help visualize possible problems.
Each pump is powered thru a relay that is triggered by the fuel heater wire from the factory fuel bowl. The fuel comes into the fuel/water separator pre-pump, out to each pump, back in to the post-pump filter then out to the tank switching valve.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

OK, I've never heard where the pumps and filters are located before the tank switching valves, if I'm understanding you correctly. If so why would you do that and how do you control each pump OFF - ON when switching tanks? I was more concerned on plumbing up at engine area but now more confused than ever. I'm sure it's just me but some clarification would help.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Wildcat13
Junior User
OK, I've never heard where the pumps and filters are located before the tank switching valves, if I'm understanding you correctly. If so why would you do that and how do you control each pump OFF - ON when switching tanks? I was more concerned on plumbing up at engine area but now more confused than ever. I'm sure it's just me but some clarification would help.
I'm sorry that was a brain fart. They are after the switching valves. In between them and the engine

Old 02-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Wildcat13
Junior User
Done some more messing with it yesterday. Still have extended crank time and now lots of white smoke.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:38 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

I think the feed line from the switching valve to the pumps needs to be a larger diameter. I know on mine the instructions indicated with dual pumps this is recommended. Something to do with pump cavitation. The feed diameter (ID) hose is not large enough to feed both pumps and fuel starvation can occur.. .

At least that is what I've read but never experienced it as only used single pumps.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:28 PM
Wildcat13
Junior User
I think the feed line from the switching valve to the pumps needs to be a larger diameter. I know on mine the instructions indicated with dual pumps this is recommended. Something to do with pump cavitation. The feed diameter (ID) hose is not large enough to feed both pumps and fuel starvation can occur.. .

At least that is what I've read but never experienced it as only used single pumps.
So basically the fuel line can't supply enough fuel to feed the pumps?

Old 02-16-2019, 03:14 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Unplug one of the pumps and see if it makes any difference. If cavetation is the problem, eliminating one of the pumps should resolve that part of it. You will need to rig up something to monitor fuel pressure to aid in troubleshooting if that doesn’t fix your issue.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Wildcat13
So basically the fuel line can't supply enough fuel to feed the pumps?
Yes, so I understand.

Originally Posted by 97-psd
Unplug one of the pumps and see if it makes any difference. If cavetation is the problem, eliminating one of the pumps should resolve that part of it. You will need to rig up something to monitor fuel pressure to aid in troubleshooting if that doesn’t fix your issue.
Good point, thought of that too but without plumbing up top to engine description don't know how each pump is actually connected, one to each head or both in parallel. Really hard to troubleshoot without that information.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Wildcat13
Junior User
Yes, so I understand.

Good point, thought of that too but without plumbing up top to engine description don't know how each pump is actually connected, one to each head or both in parallel. Really hard to troubleshoot without that information.
Pumps are in parallel. Mounted in between the two filters

Quick Reply: E-fuel issues