6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Head Gasket Repair to Hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 PM
New to 6.4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Head Gasket Repair to Hell

Bought a used '08 F20 with a 6.4L PS engine. Truck had 181000 km on the engine.
Background
After driving about 6000 km on a cross country trek I had a transmission solenoid issue, code went up and then disappeared at a shop.
Made an appointment for a little TLC and replacement of the solenoid. Truck had an oil/filter change, transmission flush, replaced lower EGR hose as it leaked.
Once test driven I was told HG was required to be replaced.
12 hrs after leaving the shop, without warning truck started shaking and got extremely loud. Exhaust went snow white, and smelled like pure diesel.
Once parked at the dealer, 5km out, oil was spilling from the passenger side, and was sprayed out the exhaust. Engine compartment was covered with oil.
Dealer first suspected faulty injectors and an oil pump/hose. Found out 2 injectors were bad, and on more inspection I had 2 cracked pistons and one melted.
Engine has to be replaced.
Anyone see a HG repair cause a catastrophic failure like this?

Last edited by New to 6.4; 02-13-2019 at 05:19 AM. Reason: wording
Old 02-13-2019, 08:08 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Moved to 6.4L PSD engine forum.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:08 AM
Robert Green
Senior User
I've heard of injectors failing and flooding out cylinders, which matches your description, all the extra fuel and heat killed the pistons.

Haven't heard of a head gasket job causing that though. Just unfortunate circumstance

Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
6.4ls are difficult to "driver diagnose" . I had a situation where I had severe transmission shutter at 35 MPH. thought it was the tranny, then thought it was the torque converter. it turned out to be an intake valve that would not open because the valve pushrod was bent. So I question your transmission report and diagnosis.

Does the shop in question have ford IDS scan tools or what do they have?

if heads were pulled to do a head gasket repair...then all lines from the fuel manifold to the injectors and all fuel lines from the fuel pump to the fuel manifold are required to be replaced as they are 1 time use. throw all these lines into a bucket of dirt and grime and re-use them and you will have big time problems.

but, 6.4ls are time bombs and 2008's being the worst of the bunch.

did you come on this site before you bought the truck and ask for should I buy advice....we all would have said absolutely do not by a 2008 6.4

Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 AM
New to 6.4
New User
Wish I did come on here and ask first, I didn't.
The shop that did the work was a reputable shop, modern and up to date though I am unsure what they had in regards to ford IDS scan tools, though Ford is thenumber one customer. I'd assume they did.
In regards to your comment;
"if heads were pulled to do a head gasket repair...then all lines from the fuel manifold to the injectors and all fuel lines from the fuel pump to the fuel manifold are required to be replaced as they are 1 time use. throw all these lines into a bucket of dirt and grime and re-use them and you will have big time problems."
Invoice is charging me and is stated in the Techs notes along with replacing all 8 Injectors

First thing Ford Dealer found was Injector 1 was not working after engine was blowing white smoke and spilling oil

Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM
New to 6.4
New User
What would cause the Injectors to fail as they were all replaced and Dealer noted #1 Injector failure on first diagnosis prior to finding cracked piston

Old 02-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
well on the good side sounds like your underhood is completly rust proofed now.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Just becuase they replaced the injectors doesn’t mean they replaced the lines.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
One other aspect could be an electrcal issue on reassembly that didn't qualify said injectors to fire.

Alot of connections to replace during that extensive repair. A loose harness would definitely disqualify the injectors on one bank. Was the damage on the same side as the HG repair? If so I'm thinking the original cause and the quality repair had the same ghost. Before you lunch another engine with the same result, I would definitely determine that the harness isn't compromised, your PCM is scanned and flashed/Known to not have issues that would cause this, lastly make damn sure you have a very good warranty. (Watch the disclosures, most likely all will say if it's not Mech, take a walk.)

I'm crimped-*** like all 6.4 guys are. Most of us are either way too invested, or way school boy in love with the truck because it is by far an ultimate platform to drive in all regards.

But: Breaking points are real. (ever buy a vega or get rear ended in a pinto)

Do alot of homework/thinking about if you want to take that road.

Wish you the best. I feel as though at one point I'll be in your shoes and have to look up or just shake my head and look down.

Keep us posted.

Sorry for your loss

Denny

Old 02-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
I don't believe in coincidence. Are you saying 12 hours after your head gasket repair the whole thing blew up? You also state 5km. I'm not buying the shop properly did the head gasket job if it only went that far. If there were cylinder issues it should have been spotted when the heads were off. Something smells and it aint a rich exhaust.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 PM
New to 6.4
New User
I drove for approximately 1000 km total after picking up the truck from the shop that did the Head Gasket repair before the engine blew up
The 5 km driven was after the blow up to get my son and I safely off the highway
The Ford Dealer that took the disabled truck found that #1 Injector failed and upon further investigation found the cracked piston and another melted.
Looks to me as if the Injector failure was the start, though nobody is saying that straight out and as all 8 injectors were replaced on the HG Repair I do believe I have a case.
Whats your guys opinion, Case or Empty the Wallet?

Old 02-15-2019, 02:51 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
This is why my local Ford will not touch a 6.4

the 6.4 is the piston eater

is your truck stock..are they going to blame the problems on mods , tunes and deletes?

Old 02-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
This is why my local Ford will not touch a 6.4

the 6.4 is the piston eater

is your truck stock..are they going to blame the problems on mods , tunes and deletes?

When I work on someones vehicle and I see something that isn't right I put a disclaimer on the receipt and have them initial it. If this shop did the work knowing it had the delete mods then they should have said something before the work was done. You would think that if they had any concerns they would have brought them up before the work was done.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:02 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Messy

did you get your fuel tested during the event that caused the 1st blown injector

We’ve had a few forum members have success with bad fuel claims on the comprehensive policy and get insurance help for the fuel system repairs.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:28 AM
New to 6.4
New User
Truck, I've been told has a few mod's including Delete's and an AIRaid Filter/Box
I'm not sure how to tell myself as this is my first diesel on the Deletes
The shop that did the Repair states "Customer believe it may be tuned..."
No evidence of a tune has been presented nor found in way of a Tuner or Performance chip
Ford Dealer actually flashed the PCM on the 100,000 km mark a spermatozoon the Service Records I obtained yesterday from my local Ford Shop so I expect no tunes exist.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Repair to Hell