6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How bad can bed plate leaks get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:49 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad can bed plate leaks get?

A few months ago, I took my truck to the dealership to diagnose an oil leak that I noticed a few thick droplets on the ground whenever I parked the truck. They told me their testing revealed it was the bed plate leaking though the advisor and tech stated they would leave it as it wasn't leaking excessively. I was always under the impression these were minor leaks that never really got bad but can they actually get to the point, where oil must be added constantly. Im concerned my current leak will get worse and to fix, the dealer quoted $8k and they would need the truck 8 weeks. Is it likely the leak will get worse gradually, I feel like it has off and on. Sometimes I barely even see a drop and sometimes there is a small puddle of thick oil, dripping from right above the starter and on to the lower oil pan gasket area and tranny lines. Never gets on the bell housing.

Can anyone shed light on this please?

TY

Old 01-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Doesn’t sound like a bed plate leak to me. More like a valve cover leak. I would chase the leak some more.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:17 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Couple of things.
1. Be sure to rule out the crank sensor or as TM mentioned the VC gasket.. It might be migrating and blowing over to the starter. Get some dye in the oil if you need to and a black light.
Money well spent if it saves you a bed plate reseal
2. There are those of us here that actually do have a bed plate leaking. If it's not a horrible leak, then leave it alone if you can live with it.
3. Your dealer is trying to really hose you good if he quoted you 8 large to reseal the bed plate. Wow........

Old 01-15-2019, 07:23 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 421 Likes on 279 Posts
Run your oil on the lower end of your dipstick -- many bedplate seal leaks (and they do leak), don't leak as bad if you run the oil level a bit lower... 8 grand is pricey, but they do pull the motor to re-seal the bedplate, might as well have everything you can think of done, but at and indy shop that knows 6.0s, and still be well south of that price....

Scott

Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 PM
DawnPatrol
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What Diesel Dan said. If it is really the bed pan drip (which for me was drops off the bell housing), just run the engine with the oil marker at the "add" line. Ever since I bought mine at 85000 miles 3 years ago, I've run it with a lower quantity of oil. I have heard people run it even lower . My bed seal does not drip any longer. I think when you are running full to the mark the oil in the bed pan foams up a bunch and gets the seal wet, which then drips? My EOT is not a rpoblem.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Run your oil on the lower end of your dipstick -- many bedplate seal leaks (and they do leak), don't leak as bad if you run the oil level a bit lower... 8 grand is pricey, but they do pull the motor to re-seal the bedplate, might as well have everything you can think of done, but at and indy shop that knows 6.0s, and still be well south of that price....

Scott
8 large to reseal a bed plate is insane.
Just for the sake of curiosity, I asked a local tech what they would charge, he was thinking around half.
In fact when I threw the 8k figure at him he almost laughed and asked me if that included a new long block.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:05 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,420 Posts
When I was concerned about the noise only I could hear in my Ford replacement reman when it was under warranty I was quoted $4k to pull the motor and disassemble to have a look see.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Ok so I just returned after a 5 day trip to find this under my truck, still wet. About 8 in across. I checked dipstick and all read normal, full of oil. Looked behind my passenger fender and my bedplate looks wet but I wouldnt think a bedplate could leak when cold.... let alone this much without a massive stain on bedplate itself. Passenger side valve covers, glow plugs are wet but nothing indicates massive drip. Same with oil pan gasket and starter area. its wet but no drips.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Degrease, wash, blow dry, watch for leaks.
The cold can make things shrink just enough to open tolerances to cause leaks.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:43 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you 100% sure it's the bed plate leaking? Years ago, mine was diagnosed has having a bed plate leak when I was stuck in Flagstaff, AZ with a HPO leak and no tools. When I got home, my upper oil pan to bed plate seal was the actual culprit and was easy to replace.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 421 Likes on 279 Posts
Sounds like could be any number of things. Clean engine and read this:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...att66f100.html
Scott

Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Thor'sHammer
Are you 100% sure it's the bed plate leaking? Years ago, mine was diagnosed has having a bed plate leak when I was stuck in Flagstaff, AZ with a HPO leak and no tools. When I got home, my upper oil pan to bed plate seal was the actual culprit and was easy to replace.

well the dealer said said it was, that and rocker boxes. Stated heads would need to come out as well to fix rocker leaks. They degreased, put in dye, and pressure tested it. Said it only leaked out of the bed plate. But said leak wasn’t serious enough to require repair. I don’t doubt them the bed plate is leaking, it’s a 265k mile truck, seems to me they aren’t telling me the entire truth.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Glow plugs have been ruled out?
Even if it's the aforementioned leaks the dealer states........shop around for crying out loud.

8 large is a screw job. I just don't see how they arrived at that figure unless they do so few they are padding the heck out of that quote.
If they are charging that much I would tell them that includes studs and freshening up the heads.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,420 Posts
He mentioned rocker boxes, the quote may include head gasket work for the rocker box removal.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:27 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
He mentioned rocker boxes, the quote may include head gasket work for the rocker box removal.
Said those were seeping, they have always, ever since I had truck, never really got worse.

Quick Reply: How bad can bed plate leaks get?