2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How to calibrate adaptive cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM
IamLee
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to calibrate adaptive cruise control

Is there a way to calibrate the adaptive cruise control without going to the dealer? I damaged my bumper, I hit the concrete corner base of a light pole, in a parking lot, at a very slow speed. The adaptive cruise control worked fine for two months, but then quit working. The dealer blames the failure on the bumper damage. That may be true, but the slow speed impact didn't touch the module and again, it continued to work for two months after. Anyway, the dealership wants a boat load of money to replace. The aftermarket bumper that I ordered will arrive soon and then I will replace the module myself if I can't get the old unit to work. I get this DTC code B124E:78-AF I read it as an aiming/calibration problem, not a failure. Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:20 PM
IamLee
Senior User
Gosh, I thought with all the guys adding adaptive cruise control, somebody would have this figured out.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:51 PM
KCRebel
More Turbo
Received 112 Likes on 62 Posts
If I had to guess the sensor is shot and there is no calibration for a broken sensor. It will have to be replaced. Similar issue happened with my wife's suv. Driving on the freeway all of her driver assist features started going off. Had to manually disable all of them so she could drive it. Took it to dealer and they said the sensor was damaged from a stone impact and had to be replaced. $3300 part and repair that was covered under warranty thankfully. The kicker was that the sensor had absolutely zero signs of any kind of impact whatsoever but the tech said inside it was damaged so maybe the plastic covering is protecting the actual sensor and there could be damage to yours that isn't visible from the outside.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Suck it up--part replacement. Sorry but that is the long and short of it. No way to "tinker" with those. They are tinker proof as you might imagine because of what they do.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:29 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KCRebel
If I had to guess the sensor is shot and there is no calibration for a broken sensor. It will have to be replaced. Similar issue happened with my wife's suv. Driving on the freeway all of her driver assist features started going off. Had to manually disable all of them so she could drive it. Took it to dealer and they said the sensor was damaged from a stone impact and had to be replaced. $3300 part and repair that was covered under warranty thankfully. The kicker was that the sensor had absolutely zero signs of any kind of impact whatsoever but the tech said inside it was damaged so maybe the plastic covering is protecting the actual sensor and there could be damage to yours that isn't visible from the outside.
I would say your dealer is a great guy for replacing it. Especially if it was damage from an impact. That is really not a defective part. Good for you. Adaptive cruise parts are EXPENSIVE!!!!!

Sam

Old 12-21-2018, 12:04 AM
IamLee
Senior User
[QUOTE=KCRebel;18371892]If I had to guess the sensor is shot and there is no calibration for a broken sensor. It will have to be replaced. Similar issue happened with my wife's suv. Driving on the freeway all of her driver assist features started going off. Had to manually disable all of them so she could drive it. Took it to dealer and they said the sensor was damaged from a stone impact and had to be replaced. $3300 part and repair that was covered under warranty thankfully. The kicker was that the sensor had absolutely zero signs of any kind of impact whatsoever but the tech said inside it was damaged so maybe the plastic covering is protecting the actual sensor and there could be damage to yours that isn't visible

Thanks. Assuming it’s broken, has anybody calibrated there’s without going to the dealer?

Old 12-21-2018, 12:21 AM
KCRebel
More Turbo
Originally Posted by IamLee
Thanks. Assuming it’s broken, has anybody calibrated there’s without going to the dealer?
If the sensor is broken there is no calibration that will overcome it because the part no longer functions so there is nothing to calibrate.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:26 AM
KCRebel
More Turbo
Originally Posted by SESWIM
I would say your dealer is a great guy for replacing it. Especially if it was damage from an impact. That is really not a defective part. Good for you. Adaptive cruise parts are EXPENSIVE!!!!!

Sam
I would agree if it was the Ford as it only really affects the adaptive cruise control for the most part. With my wife's suv the front sensor failure triggered the cameras to come on, the alarms to sound and the brakes to apply since the failed sensor was telling the suv that a frontal impact was imminent. The only way to continue driving it was to fully disable the entire driver safety system. Their warranty is bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles. I have never had an issue where they refused to cover something under warranty thankfully. Knocking on wood as I probably just screwed myself. Fwiw they are motivated to maintain our suv properly since we trade every 3 years or so. The used market is hot and very profitable for them so they are always willing to make a deal to trade us up. I've never done that with my pickups but I may consider it after seeing how quickly the used SD trucks go.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:03 AM
IamLee
Senior User
Originally Posted by KCRebel
If the sensor is broken there is no calibration that will overcome it because the part no longer functions so there is nothing to calibrate.
I meant if it is broken and I purchase a new one, has anybody figured out how to calibrate it without going to the dealer?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by IamLee

I meant if it is broken and I purchase a new one, has anybody figured out how to calibrate it without going to the dealer?
I think you would have to look in the service manual for instructions on how to calibrate it. There may be some tools required, maybe something that interfaces with the system so you can "see" what the sensor sees.

I had mine apart to take off my bumper. The sensor is on a bracket. Just removing the bracket - with the sensor still attached - wasn't a problem for me. If you can get the new sensor attached to the bracket the exact same way it may work just fine, but I'm guessing here.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:56 AM
IamLee
Senior User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I think you would have to look in the service manual for instructions on how to calibrate it. There may be some tools required, maybe something that interfaces with the system so you can "see" what the sensor sees.

I had mine apart to take off my bumper. The sensor is on a bracket. Just removing the bracket - with the sensor still attached - wasn't a problem for me. If you can get the new sensor attached to the bracket the exact same way it may work just fine, but I'm guessing here.

unfortunately, I believe mine is damaged, so I’ll be purchasing a new one to mount to my new bumper. I’m probably gonna have to suck it up and pay the dealer to calibrate. Of course I’ll try to mount it first, maybe I’ll get lucky....... I’ve read several guys have added adaptive cruise control to their trucks that didn’t come from the factory with it. I was hoping they figured out how to calibrate using FORScan or some other method.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
Wow, this has been one of the most unhelpful threads. It’s literrally titled how to calibrate adaptive cruise control and not a single response says anything about it.

It looks like this is a procedure that requires ford diagnostics. More discussed here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-speeds-3.html

Old 12-22-2018, 07:37 PM
IamLee
Senior User
Originally Posted by Section179
Wow, this has been one of the most unhelpful threads. It’s literrally titled how to calibrate adaptive cruise control and not a single response says anything about it.

It looks like this is a procedure that requires ford diagnostics. More discussed here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-speeds-3.html

I agree. Thanks for this helpful info. I found that picture you provided on FORScan, unfortunately it doesn’t seem to do anything or at least I couldn’t make it function..

Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 PM
IamLee
Senior User
I finally got my new bumper installed. I used my old adaptive cruise control module (the one the dealer said was broken and wanted $$$ to replace). It works perfectly. FYI the module will self calibrate with approximately 50 miles of driving.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 PM
IamLee
Senior User

New bumper.

Quick Reply: How to calibrate adaptive cruise control