2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Creaking Sound from Steering Col

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 AM
hobbie1
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Creaking Sound from Steering Col

Curious if anyone has had this one. It been cool / cold the last couple of weeks. That's when this creak sound started.

Start driving in the morning and no issues. As I drive and hit bumps etc... I start to occassionally hear a creak and sort of a mild metallic click.

If I pull on the steering wheel up and down I hear the sound. Also hear it as I go over bumps - most likly because I'm holding on to the steering wheel as the truck goes up and down.

I'm positve the noise occurs as the steering wheel flexes.

Very weird - I can make the sound on demand by moving the wheel.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:34 AM
hobbie1
Tuned
No one has had this issue?

Old 12-17-2018, 03:44 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I have it in my F150. I still haven’t found the root of the cause. I pulled the panel under the column, the trim off the column, zip tied everything that seemed loose under the dash and I still get the noise.

It’s kinda like a tapping/slight creak on plastic. It’s definitely worse when cold.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 AM
64509chvl
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I’ve had a couple of these that drove me nuts! I had a couple hours so I took a lot of the plastic pieces apart...used small pieces of of double sided foam tape in the problem areas. It’s been quiet ever since lol. It did sound like the steering column area.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:41 AM
CPal
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 64509chvl
Yeah, I’ve had a couple of these that drove me nuts! I had a couple hours so I took a lot of the plastic pieces apart...used small pieces of of double sided foam tape in the problem areas. It’s been quiet ever since lol. It did sound like the steering column area.
Havent noticed this sound in mine but have noticed when I'm turning wheel from a stopped position a noise in the column lately almost sounds like a spring winding/clicking as I continue turning.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 AM
64509chvl
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotcha, that’s a bummer! Maybe more to it then...hope ya figure it out, can’t stand noises lol

Old 12-17-2018, 01:37 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Is it the actual wheel like it has play, or just moving the wheel causes the noise in the column? If its the wheel, just pull the airbag and see if the nut needs a turn or two. Takes 5 minutes to do, there's two holes on the right and left side of the wheel. Jam an allen wrench in there and the airbag will start to pop out, you can pull a little bit on the side of the bag to get it to come out. Once out, just tighten the lock nut.

If its something in the column itself, no idea, have to do some huntin'.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Kegme13
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CPal
Havent noticed this sound in mine but have noticed when I'm turning wheel from a stopped position a noise in the column lately almost sounds like a spring winding/clicking as I continue turning.
I've noticed this on mine recently as well. My first thought was a bad clock spring. Do you have larger than stock tires? I ask because I do, and i'm wondering if the dealership will give me trouble saying that the tires caused the issue and not honor a warranty claim.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:19 AM
hobbie1
Tuned
Originally Posted by JKBrad
I have it in my F150. I still haven’t found the root of the cause. I pulled the panel under the column, the trim off the column, zip tied everything that seemed loose under the dash and I still get the noise.

It’s kinda like a tapping/slight creak on plastic. It’s definitely worse when cold.
Sounds just like mine..... I'm wondering if its in the panels that meet the trim next to where the door closes...

Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 AM
hobbie1
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tricon
Is it the actual wheel like it has play, or just moving the wheel causes the noise in the column? If its the wheel, just pull the airbag and see if the nut needs a turn or two. Takes 5 minutes to do, there's two holes on the right and left side of the wheel. Jam an allen wrench in there and the airbag will start to pop out, you can pull a little bit on the side of the bag to get it to come out. Once out, just tighten the lock nut.

If its something in the column itself, no idea, have to do some huntin'.
In my case just flexing the wheel does it. I like your idea maybe a little nudge with a torque wrench will do the trick. That might make sense as when it's cooler it seems to be more frequent.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:24 AM
hobbie1
Tuned
Originally Posted by 64509chvl
This sounds good also - plus as suggested going to give the wheel nut a little nudge to tighten as suggested.

Very weird it comes and goes.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Sonny Crockett
Tuned
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM
hobbie1
Tuned
I finally found out what was causing this creak. This sound was coming and going during the day. It was a creak / click sound.

I pulled to dash cover on the driver side covered by the door when closed.

There are several bolts that seem to secure the dash to the body.

Several where boarderline loose.

Tighten them all up - the noises have been gone now for over a week.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 PM
hobbie1
Tuned
Originally Posted by JKBrad

See my note just posted.....

Old 01-24-2019, 09:03 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Thanks. I’ll give that a try this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Creaking Sound from Steering Col