2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Side business for my F350 diesel dually?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:50 AM
twrenegade
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side business for my F350 diesel dually?

Hey all - I bought a beautiful 2017 F350 diesel dually to haul a 48' 30k trailer for my business:
View this post on Instagram
Thing is we only get that trailer on the road 8-10 times a year, so most of the year the truck is sitting or not being used in its capacity, which is 32.5k towing capacity.
I'd love to hire someone/invest in another trailer to have a side business for it. Hauling cars, cattle, horses, anything else? I don't want to invest much time in this endeavor myself, so wanted to hear if y'all had any thoughts. We're based in Vermont. Thank you!

Old 12-09-2018, 06:58 AM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At at a minimum you'll need your DOT numbers more than likely.. Unless you try to fly under the radar.. but if you advertise, they'll eventually catch ya.

Hauling livestock, you'll also likely want insurance. Especially horses. They're 1000 lbs on 4 legs looking for a new way to try to kill themselves. With any livestock, you've also got to maintain a bio-secure trailer. Which means washing it down between loads with bleach, or one of the other cleaners made for the job. There can be good money in hauling horses, especially if you target the private rides sector and have a good reputation. But there's a lot involved with it.

If you're doing it as a side business, I'd stick to getting either a box or equipment trailer and haul stuff. Heck - just sit at your local Lowe's with a sign that says "I'll haul your stuff" and all the idiots that show up with a Prius to buy a fridge can pay you.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 948 Likes on 583 Posts
Also, if you don't already have it you'll need commercial vehicle insurance. You don't want to find out the hard way after the fact that your insurance company won't cover an incident.
I once had an F150 with graphics on the doors and rear window for my business. It was strictly advertising, as I had a bucket truck with commercial vehicle insurance that I pulled my business trailer with. My F150 was hit head on by another driver in a snowstorm on a city street. My state is no fault, meaning my insurance company pays for my damage and the other guy's pay for his damage. If they decide to go after each other in court, they do that after the fact. They paid my claim reluctantly, then promptly issued me a cancellation notice when they cut the check, saying that I should have had commercial insurance on that truck.
Fortunately I had a great agent. They went to bat for me but no go. They found me a new company and paid the difference in the slightly higher premium for the first year.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 AM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 388 Likes on 259 Posts
I move a tractor and a mini excavator for a contractor using his gooseneck and bumper pull. That being said, i've known the guy my entire life, i run 2 businesses so i have a flexible schedule and have yet to be unable to move the tractor for him. it's fun and easy work.

this extra side work was partly the reason why i went up to a 3/4 from a 1/2 or even the diesel titan. Plus, hauling a dump trailer daily with a half ton gets old real quick

the commercial insurance comment is spot on as well. do your research and make a decision knowing the consequences, people see commercial vehicles and see dollar signs for getting into an """""accident""""

Old 12-09-2018, 12:14 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Since you already have a business and a trailer associated with it, I'll skip all that other stuff on the assumption you are just looking for ideas of things to haul part time.
One thing to do is search the web for different kinds of load boards. As an independent hauler, you can join various load boards to search for 5th wheels and bumper pull campers. If you have a gooseneck, you could transport three or four autos at a time for dealers.
I pull campers for a transport company in Indiana. Going this route doesn't pay as much as if I were negotiating my own loads, but it removes a lot of the uncertainty and most of the headaches. I simply check the company load board whenever I want to pull a camper and call my dispatcher. About 40% of the line haul pay goes toward fuel. Other costs, such as tires, oil, filters, etc. get factored in at tax time. Since I have a couple retirement checks coming in and continue to work part time for state government, I only pull two or three campers a month these days. When I was averaging 10,000 miles per month, oil and filter changes were adding up quickly. Now I'm only driving 2 or 3 thousand miles per month, and that requirement has dropped dramatically.

HTH

Old 12-09-2018, 12:26 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by wrvond
...As an independent hauler, you can join various load boards to search for 5th wheels and bumper pull campers. If you have a gooseneck, you could transport three or four autos at a time for dealers...
A great suggestion! However, the OP should note that his truck’s maximum trailer weight (already subject to reduction due to trim, options, and other cargo) is not absolute and varies by type (conventional vs. fifth wheel vs. gooseneck).

Here’s the 2017 chart for F350 DRWs and F450s.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 12-09-2018, 01:35 PM
twrenegade
New User
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! We already have DOT number and commercial insurance set up, as we use the truck for my legit event business across state lines.

Looking to have an employee do this side work. I like the suggestion about load boards. Do you suggest any boards in particular for the Northeast? We're based in Vermont.

Thanks again!

Old 12-09-2018, 04:58 PM
bldfrdblu
Senior User
Everyone has great ideas and seem to cover all the legal bases except one : The ELD.
Did this DOT requirement go away for anyone making $1.00 with their truck??? If it did go away hurrah!!!!

bleed Ford blue

Old 12-09-2018, 05:30 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bldfrdblu
Everyone has great ideas and seem to cover all the legal bases except one : The ELD.
Did this DOT requirement go away for anyone making $1.00 with their truck??? If it did go away hurrah!!!!

bleed Ford blue
I can only speak to pulling campers. There is no ELD requirement for a pickup truck pulling a camper. I have noticed some of the guys that pull three campers at a time have ELD, but not sure if they are required or it’s more convenient for them.
I know lots of guys that pull their placards when not pulling a camper, the logic being that they aren’t under dispatch, they aren’t being paid, and it’s their personal truck. Not saying it’s legal, just that it is done.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:32 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by twrenegade
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! We already have DOT number and commercial insurance set up, as we use the truck for my legit event business across state lines.

Looking to have an employee do this side work. I like the suggestion about load boards. Do you suggest any boards in particular for the Northeast? We're based in Vermont.

Thanks again!
I’m under lease to a transport company, so no real experience with the hotshot boards. Sorry.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:48 PM
adbscu
Senior User
If never had horses, i would strongly advise you against it...

You can charge a lot for mile, but you'll have to drive all over the country (and keep up with all the different state regulations), constantly have to answer calls from owners and getting a horse trailer that can last the abuse can cost a pretty penny.

Also, it will get pretty frustrating when you go pick up a horse and it will take 1 hr to load it in the trailer... (thankfully mine load in 1 min or so)....but you'll never know till you get there

Old 01-11-2021, 10:55 PM
tmartin999
New User
[QUOTE=twrenegade;18350486]Hey all - I bought a beautiful 2017 F350 diesel dually to haul a 48' 30k trailer for my business:
View this post on Instagram
Thing is we only get that trailer on the road 8-10 times a year, so most of the year the truck is sitting or not being used in its capacity, which is 32.5k towing capacity.
I'd love to hire someone/invest in another trailer to have a side business for it. Hauling cars, cattle, horses, anything else? I don't want to invest much time in this endeavor myself, so wanted to hear if y'all had any thoughts. We're based in Vermont. Thank

yes I got pullled over today in my f350 and hauling my personal trailer with a gvwr of 7k pushing me to about 19000 truck and trailer. I do have a business but this trailer has nothing to do with the business he still gave me a paper to sign saying I will get my company name and dot registration numbers on there wtf

Old 01-12-2021, 12:15 AM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Specially thourough-bread horses

Originally Posted by adbscu
If never had horses, i would strongly advise you against it...

You can charge a lot for mile, but you'll have to drive all over the country (and keep up with all the different state regulations), constantly have to answer calls from owners and getting a horse trailer that can last the abuse can cost a pretty penny.

Also, it will get pretty frustrating when you go pick up a horse and it will take 1 hr to load it in the trailer... (thankfully mine load in 1 min or so)....but you'll never know till you get there
I hope your good with horses. I used to live on a huge horse ranch I have seen many drivers get f___D up by some geldings

Old 01-12-2021, 05:45 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 948 Likes on 583 Posts
Originally Posted by tmartin999

yes I got pullled over today in my f350 and hauling my personal trailer with a gvwr of 7k pushing me to about 19000 truck and trailer. I do have a business but this trailer has nothing to do with the business he still gave me a paper to sign saying I will get my company name and dot registration numbers on there wtf
Not for nothing, but you do realize this thread is over 2 years old and hadn't received a reply since 12/10/18?

Old 01-12-2021, 08:41 AM
satz28406
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Xwild
Heck - just sit at your local Lowe's with a sign that says "I'll haul your stuff" and all the idiots that show up with a Prius to buy a fridge can pay you.
1st they try and load the fridge with it still in the box. Then you see them un-boxing the fridge, only to see the same results LOL

Quick Reply: Side business for my F350 diesel dually?