1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fuel pump issue

hey guys I’m new on here but come to these forums for help usually from other people’s previous problems. Hopefully I’m posting in the right spot. I did the hutch and harpoon mod the other day and going to bleed the system back and couldn’t get it to prime of the fuel pump. So figured the fuel pump was probably on its way out and got a new one installed and got it primed but In the process measured the voltage at the pump at 10.5volts. I was wondering if that’s right or should it be 12v? This morning I couldn’t get it to start and just could get it to smoke so hooked up a jump pack to my batteries and started in two cranks. Wondering if anyone can help on this.
Oh. It’s a 2000 F-350 2002 7.3, van turbo, hutch and harpoon, and no tuner.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

If your issue is with the voltage aka batteries and alternator:
Are you getting good voltage at the alternator? 14+ after GPR is off?
Getting that voltage to the batteries after the GPR is off?

If the problem is with the H&H:
Did you install a Racor filter when did the H&H? Do you see any air in it?
‘Did you remove the stock line coming from the sending unit to the pump?
If you did, did you use fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps, doubling them up?

FWIW: In the future post is this forum, we know our trucks better than most here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Thanks will definitly post there next time. I might of just had weak batteries this morning possibly and not have worked out all the air yesterday after I finished. I will check my voltages tomorrow. Only problem I had today was first start this morning.

As for the H and H mod I am waiting on my Racor filter to come in the mail then will install it. I just used 3/8 fuel line and doubled up with regular hose clamps. I had a hard enough time finding just 3/8 fuel line around here. I didn’t remove the old line I just disconnected it and didn’t feel like unhooking it from the frame.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by alaskapilot95
Thanks will definitly post there next time. I might of just had weak batteries this morning possibly and not have worked out all the air yesterday after I finished. I will check my voltages tomorrow. Only problem I had today was first start this morning.

As for the H and H mod I am waiting on my Racor filter to come in the mail then will install it. I just used 3/8 fuel line and doubled up with regular hose clamps. I had a hard enough time finding just 3/8 fuel line around here. I didn’t remove the old line I just disconnected it and didn’t feel like unhooking it from the frame.
‘You’re going to want real fuel injection clamps at the very least. HPS FIC-14x10 SAE #15 Stainless Steel 3/8" Fuel Injection Hose Clamps (Pack of 10)
Amazon Amazon

I left the old line up there also. I used fuel injection hose from tank to Racor and to the back of the pump. Here’s some pics of how I mounted mine. I left a loop on both sides of the Racor so if I need to remove the filter itself I can simply cut of 1” of hose and reattach it.

Slides right over frame rail. Bolts to frame holes.

Quick mock up Used a square U bolt to secure RACOR to bracket.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Originally Posted by Colorado350

‘You’re going to want real fuel injection clamps at the very least. HPS FIC-14x10 SAE #15 Stainless Steel 3/8" Fuel Injection Hose Clamps (Pack of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X2LF3B..._-hFcCbZC9REYR

I left the old line up there also. I used fuel injection hose from tank to Racor and to the back of the pump. Here’s some pics of how I mounted mine. I left a loop on both sides of the Racor so if I need to remove the filter itself I can simply cut of 1” of hose and reattach it.

Slides right over frame rail. Bolts to frame holes.

Quick mock up Used a square U bolt to secure RACOR to bracket.

Nice set up it looks nice. I’m not sure where I’ll mount my racor yet but hopefully somewhere easy like that. Are the fuel injection clamps less prone to leak or something? I’ve never had a problem with hose clamps.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Yes, they provide a more uniform clamping pressure, less likely to cut into the hose. If it’s something that can leave me stranded I don’t take chances.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 AM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Well went to start it this morning and must be bleeding down over night. Had to prime it probably 4 times with the key and then it came right to life. Have the new injection clamps on their way.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:04 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
I was just gonna ask how it’s starting... The nipple that comes off the sending unit where the stock fitting attaches too, I slide the hose over the little lip. I used 3 clamps there each one offset to the one before it. I did not want to have to drop the tank a second time because of a leak there. All the other connections I used 2 clamps offset 180* to each other.
Before you install the filter make sure you remove it one came from the base. It’s on their tight end it’ll be a lot easier to remove it the first time in your shop rather than on the truck. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? That could tell you how long your pressure is holding also.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
‘You’re going to want real fuel injection clamps at the very least.
Yes, they provide a more uniform clamping pressure, less likely to cut into the hose. If it’s something that can leave me stranded I don’t take chances.
I completely agree. Went the same route when I put in my Racor. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment or cool skills to fabricate fancy brackets though.

In the process measured the voltage at the pump at 10.5volts. I was wondering if that’s right or should it be 12v?
The glow plugs are on for up to 2 minutes when you first turn the key on. Them boys suck some juice and 10.5 VDC is about right with the key on and engine off.

Well went to start it this morning and must be bleeding down over night. Had to prime it probably 4 times with the key and then it came right to life. Have the new injection clamps on their way.
Hopefully the new clamps solve the priming issue. Are there any wet spots along the fuel path or on the ground? That might give you an idea of where the pressure is bleeding off.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by brian42
I completely agree. Went the same route when I put in my Racor. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment or cool skills to fabricate fancy brackets though.

The glow plugs are on for up to 2 minutes when you first turn the key on. Them boys suck some juice and 10.5 VDC is about right with the key on and engine off.

Hopefully the new clamps solve the priming issue. Are there any wet spots along the fuel path or on the ground? That might give you an idea of where the pressure is bleeding off.
‘LOL, If you want a fancy bracket Brian just let me know, I’ll make one up for you.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:32 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
I was just gonna ask how it’s starting... The nipple that comes off the sending unit where the stock fitting attaches too, I slide the hose over the little lip. I used 3 clamps there each one offset to the one before it. I did not want to have to drop the tank a second time because of a leak there. All the other connections I used 2 clamps offset 180* to each other.
Before you install the filter make sure you remove it one came from the base. It’s on their tight end it’ll be a lot easier to remove it the first time in your shop rather than on the truck. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? That could tell you how long your pressure is holding also.
Yeah I pushed it over that lip two and put only two hose clamps on there and I'm hoping I have enough room to undo the clamps and put the new injector ones on. Thanks I will do that. I don't have a pressure gauge but my stepbrothers friend has one so might be able to borrow it.

Hm ok that could have been my problem then with the voltage. I didn't see any wwt spots right away but Ill have to get under there and look to make sure.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:35 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
‘LOL, If you want a fancy bracket Brian just let me know, I’ll make one up for you.
I appreciate the offer, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I went the Home Depot hardware section and pipe cutter route for my mounting.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:39 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
I appreciate the offer, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I went the Home Depot hardware section and pipe cutter route for my mounting.
How does that work? I have to figure out a way to mount mine still...

Old 12-07-2018, 04:55 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
How does that work? I have to figure out a way to mount mine still...
I measured about how far I wanted the Racor to stick out so I could still drop the filter without any interference from the frame. Through some trial and error I decided a homemade 2 1/2" standoff would do it.

I went down to my local Home Depot and got the thickest bolts that would fit through the mounting holes then bought some stuff to mount it (washers, fender washers, split washers, and nuts) to the frame...

Then I walked over to the steel tubing and found the round hollow steel tube that the bolt would just fit inside...

Then I cut the pipe with a small pipe cutter and made a mock-up...

I measured 50 times, drilled 2 holes in the frame, painted the holes to prevent rust, then installed the home-made mount...

The bolt "tails" have plenty of clearance to the parking brake cable...

My OCD is wwwaaayy above the norm so most would probably have slapped something together in an hour. Putting this together to me an entire day.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:27 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Nice I got my filter and waiting on the hose clamps. So this morning turned into a bad one. Course took a while to start the this morning priming it.(Only driven it like 30 miles since the new pump) Got about a mile from the house and the truck started dieing and running on not all 8 cylinders and shaking whenever I pressed on the gas. Figured id gelled up since it was 12 last night. Limped it back home and let it sit all day to hopefully thaw. Took it for another drive and got about 500 feet and it started doing the same thing. Basically no power and could barely make it up the driveway in 4x4 low. Im hoping there is just an air leak and will fix it tomorrow with the injector clamps but hoping its not something else......

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issue