6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HFCM Water/Diesel Separator Drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 PM
aballiett
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFCM Water/Diesel Separator Drain

Howdy, All!

Seems most of the interesting links on this topic in the tech files are dead, so I've gotta ask here.

I've never drained the water separator on my 2004 F250 6.0L. Last time I was going to do it 'routinely,' I actually couldn't find it. Now it's been a couple of years without draining it and the WIF light (?) comes on now and then, especially on rainy days.

Oh, and outside of the Ford dealership, a place I hope to never go to again, I simply can't find someone at the service writer counters of independent garages who seem to even understand what a water separator drain plug is, let alone what they'd charge to pull one out for me.

So, in reading everything I can everywhere (the most interesting articles were apparently once at links that are now dead ) it seems that I should expect that the treads on my drain plug will be seized or fouled and the 'head' of the Allen screw will most likely strip out without nudging the plug bolt. On the other hand, I've read the if I make sure the Allen wrench I use fits rightly and is inserted to full depth, it's not likely to strip out. But, even if that's the case, is is possible that the bolt still won't budge?

And if this is the case, is the 'work around' going to be to replace the full HFCM (at what cost?) or is it realistic to think that I could just replace the JFCM cover?

Mostly, though, I'm asking if anyone can guess the odds of the bolt actually coming out with a good and deep fitting Allen wrench and the HFCM draining for me.

Where is the current source for the improved drain plug? (again, dead links)

Oh, and to really **** real mechanics off: is there a fuel line additive that can clear the water that's making the dash light come on out of the system? (Or an fuel additive I should be using with every tank anyway?)

Thanks to everyone for any and all consideration and advice!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
The Ford PM-22 centain booster is a good additive as some others if you search the forum, not necessarily the tech pages.

If you have gone this long without draining there is a chance the screw is pooched. And there’s a chance there is a good amount of sludge built up in the cavity, so often the best cure might be to remove the cover and clean it out. The good part of this is there is a kit for replacing the cover and screw, and it’s the only way to buy the gasket you would also need, but at least it’s cheaper then the entire HFCM.

There is a better ****/screw that should be used.

Give me a few minutes and I’ll get the part numbers.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:47 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's a 4x4 truck, it's easy to explain the location but difficult to access... It's between the frame and the front drive shaft.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

If you can get the plug out, often you can spray carb cleaner in the hole and get out most of the crud.

Amazon links as they are easy, but you can Google search/shopping to find the best price.

A better plug to have is to buy this.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-6E7Z-9C082-A-KIT/dp/B001H1Q2Q2/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001H1Q2Q2&pd_rd_r=fbf1bb40-e6e6-11e8-824f-d5a01fb18cc4&pd_rd_w=Ps7aG&pd_rd_wg=NuFw0&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=8DKNSX87X05MT6BBWCR9&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=8DKNSX87X05MT6BBWCR9 https://www.amazon.com/Ford-6E7Z-9C082-A-KIT/dp/B001H1Q2Q2/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001H1Q2Q2&pd_rd_r=fbf1bb40-e6e6-11e8-824f-d5a01fb18cc4&pd_rd_w=Ps7aG&pd_rd_wg=NuFw0&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=8DKNSX87X05MT6BBWCR9&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=8DKNSX87X05MT6BBWCR9

or this.

https://www.amazon.com/TamerX-Separator-Upgrade-Powerstroke-2003-2007/dp/B073YHQB6M/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8DKNSX87X05MT6BBWCR9 https://www.amazon.com/TamerX-Separator-Upgrade-Powerstroke-2003-2007/dp/B073YHQB6M/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8DKNSX87X05MT6BBWCR9

If you can't remove the plug or the threads strip, this the repair kit.

Amazon Amazon

A good video on the subject.

Ignore the circle. The HFCM is in the drivers frame rail opposite the transmission.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:09 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Personally I would be worried about operating for quite awhile on low fuel pressure and the subsequent injector life/health.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 PM
aballiett
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by mattdoc88
If it's a 4x4 truck, it's easy to explain the location but difficult to access... It's between the frame and the front drive shaft.
Yes. Quite the detail to forget to include: it's 4x4!

Thanks to everyone for these early replies!!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 PM
aballiett
Cross-Country
Thanks for this.

Is that HFCM replacement module actually affordable? I get pretty worried when it comes to springs and pins that have to point in certain directions!

I know this is off topic, but can you give me the name or the link for the suggested oil drain plug replacement?

Thanks again!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 PM
aballiett
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by aballiett
Thanks for this.

Is that HFCM replacement module actually affordable? I get pretty worried when it comes to springs and pins that have to point in certain directions!

I know this is off topic, but can you give me the name or the link for the suggested oil drain plug replacement?

Thanks again!
This is apparently the link I just asked for:

Amazon Amazon

This is the Fumoto drain valve I've seen recommended elsewhere. Is this something I'd find locally at a place like Trick Trucks are is it pretty much a mail order item?

Thanks again

Old 11-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Brotherbillstruck
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts
Do you know that there is a fuel filter behind that plug that separates the water from the fuel? That filter, along with the filter in the engine compartment, really needs changing routinely.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
This is apparently the link I just asked for:

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-111N...oil+drain+plug

This is the Fumoto drain valve I've seen recommended elsewhere. Is this something I'd find locally at a place like Trick Trucks are is it pretty much a mail order item?

Thanks again
That plug won't work.

The best choice is:
https://www.xtremediesel.com/hfcm-wa...e-6e7z-9c082-a

or you could try these:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM
aballiett
Cross-Country
Thanks, bismic for this pointer.

So, on a 4x4 you still take this one out with an Allen wrench.

I guess I should try to find a video of it because I assume you can' get your fingers on the gnarl and I can't visualize how that "T" functions, either.

I'll take your advice regardless. (Not in stock at my Ford dealership and $38 if it was.)

Old 11-13-2018, 06:21 AM
aballiett
Cross-Country
That I've kept within mileage on replacing (10k?) but I haven't gotten over 2000 miles a year for the past couple of years, so they've been in for some time.

Does changing the lower one also drain the water separator?

Last time I went to do it I had trouble with the caps above and below being to tight for me to wrench them any harder without fear of breaking fastening bolts or something so I went to dealership with them.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:26 AM
aballiett
Cross-Country
I think there was some confusion in 'quotes' above so I'll ask specifically

Is the Fumoto oil drain valve the one to go for?

Thanks

Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

If you took it to the dealership the last time they should have pulled the plug and drained the water separator, so it may not be in such poor state as you imagine. The issue with it being a 4x4 is you have awkward access due to the driveshaft which oftens results in a bath of diesel. And changing the filter does not drain the water separator.

The F-111N is the valve for the oil drain, best ordered online.

Good luck with your adventure.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I think there was some confusion in 'quotes' above so I'll ask specifically

Is the Fumoto oil drain valve the one to go for?

Thanks
I guess we posted at about the same time Jack, lol.

As I posted above, and as Jack posted ....... NO, the fumoto valve threads won't fit in the WIF drain opening!

The knurled **** plug (the one that I posted the link to) is inserted by hand and tightened HAND TIGHT ONLY. There is no pressure to speak of at that point in the system (in fact it is often under a slight vacuum). The o-ring on the plug is what seals it ... so any amount of extra tightening on it does not help any,

The fact is that you may have so much corrosion and scale built up in the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module) that you will need to either have parts of it replaced or have the whole thing replaced. Even so, the plug is a good start. You need it even if you need to replace the HFCM. Hopefully Jack is correct that the dealership work on it may indicate it isn't bad inside. Once you drain it and re-install the plug, if the WIF (Water In Fuel) light stays on, that is a sign that you have crud or corrosion inside the HFCM.

That primary fuel filter component (ie the lower filter) is called an HFCM because it removes water as well as filters. It "conditions" the fuel. Changing the filter element does NOT drain the water out.

Quick Reply: HFCM Water/Diesel Separator Drain