2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Which air bags for OEM 5th wheel prep package?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:39 AM
fortheford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which air bags for OEM 5th wheel prep package?

Hello - I'm just doing some research should I decide to add air bags, but not sure I'm looking at the right systems. I have a '19 F-250 4x4 with the OEM 5th wheel prep package and when I see systems on etrailer for example, many of them say "not compatible with in bed hitch". I don't have a hitch yet as we haven't bought a fifth wheel...yet... but I'd like to be able to have a plan of what I'm doing before I buy one thing, only to find out it was the wrong thing to buy.

95% of the time there will be no hitch in the bed and I would like some control over the air bags, so I guess I need a system that has a compressor right? Anyway some of this is a bit new to me so if you have any recommendations, even better a link to specific system/product, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thank you!

Old 11-10-2018, 08:45 AM
fortheford
Senior User
Eh - I may have answered my own question...maybe still worth someone chiming in if there's a better alternative.

Looks like for the air bags these should work: https://www.etrailer.com/p-F2600.html
And for a compressor system: https://www.etrailer.com/p-F2600.html

Anyone out there running a setup like that, and if so, have you been happy with the results. Also I thought adding air bags would create a stiffer ride when *not* towing - is that true? Most of my time will certainly be just around town driving and right now I'm so impressed with the ride I would hate to see that change much.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I have used the Firestone Airbags on my 2011, 2015 and now 2017 trucks. All were F-350s and the 2015 and 2017 with the Ford GN/5th Wheel prep from the factory.

The Firestone bags for the 2017 and newer trucks sit above the leaf spring, The AirLift bags sit inboard slightly over the Axle. I don't know that there is a Right vs Wrong way, choose your preference. I prefer to put the airbags as wide as possible. But we are talking only a few inches of difference. The Firestones being over the leaf spring are just slightly farther away from the exhaust pipe. Watch the install videos and see which install you might prefer if you are doing the work yourself. My Firestone Air Bags went in pretty easy, But hooking up the air hoses to the top of the installed bags was a job for very small hands.

I used the AirLift Wireless One Compressor. I wanted a remote access for dual controls and Airlift is less money than the Firestone and it works great. But you don't need an onboard compressor. You can pull an air hose in your garage and air up your bags. I like the onboard compressor because I change my pressure often. I run daily at 10 psi and when ever i hook up a trailer of horse, I bump it up to 40

Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I have Firestone bags in my truck. I have a 15 but still the same truck. You need to install them before the hitch. On mine there was a bolt behind the outside hitch plate so after all the work torquing the bolts I had to remove the plates. Some of the bolts are not easy to get to because of the fuel tank. Also good Idea getting the air pump. I didn't do that on my first rv trip and was constantly airing up and down my bags. I run 60 loaded and 10 empty. Your truck may be different. I have a 32 foot 5th wheel. Becareful and don't go to big on your 5er. Not sure how experienced you are rv'ing.. Check the yellow sticker in the drivers door it will tell you how much payload you have left for the truck. I have the 10,000# and I have 2,300 left for payload. Have fun with your truck. I have the B&W turnover hitch in my truck. Easy to remove from the truck but I leave mine in the truck all the time except if I need to haul something. They make covers for them if you want.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM
jrwinger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also have the Firestone Bags on my 350 along with the wireless one compressor (factory 5th wheel prep). Love it - the system works great and everything seems to be very well constructed.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:40 AM
fortheford
Senior User
Thanks all! I like the idea of the wireless control so I'll look into that as well.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Midnite150
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put AirLift 5000 Ultimate bags in mine with a wireless compressor. Lucked out with timing. I got a $150 rebate from AirLift for using one of their installers. Total price installed with rebate - $810

Dean

Old 11-11-2018, 08:16 PM
firejp
Junior User
Originally Posted by Midnite150
I just put AirLift 5000 Ultimate bags in mine with a wireless compressor. Lucked out with timing. I got a $150 rebate from AirLift for using one of their installers. Total price installed with rebate - $810

Dean
those are the one with built in bump stops eh ? (I’m Canadian lol). Do you recommend them ?

Old 11-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Midnite150
Cross-Country
I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I don't have any complaints either. When empty I leave them at memory setting one which is 5 lbs. When loaded with 5th wheel I can have 2 more settings for memory recall. I will need to play with it more to find my happy place for pressure, but having the onboard compressor will make it so much easier. I haven't noticed any issue with ride quality empty. I don't have enough time towing with them to say otherwise. My friend at the campground has them in his 2016 F350 EC and he is very glad he put them in. Mine are single path, his were dual path. My installer mounted valve stem for manual fill inside fuel door, his were mounted either side of rear license plate in rear bumper. I like my location better. Oh yeah, bump stops built in.

Dean

Old 11-11-2018, 10:36 PM
jeremy123
Junior User
I just put on the air lift ultimate 5000 on my '17. I installed it myself, no issues took me a couple hours. Made a big difference in towing my 5er. I could't see spending all that money for the on board compressor as I only need the bags when I camp, so I just bought a $30 compressor that plugs into my cig lighter. I can empty the bags when I get to the campground so I don't get bounced around when we go somewhere. When we are ready to leave, just pull out my little compressor and fill them back up.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:20 PM
traveldawg
More Turbo
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
AirLift Ultimate worked for me. Got them on
Amazon Amazon

Got their wireless compressor too.
Amazon Amazon

I run 30 lbs with aux tank and hitch in bed. 60 lbs when towing 5th wheel.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 AM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jrwinger
I also have the Firestone Bags on my 350 along with the wireless one compressor (factory 5th wheel prep). Love it - the system works great and everything seems to be very well constructed.
Yep, what he said.

Firestone 2600 over the springs with wireless control has worked great for me.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM
vnickerson
Junior User
Looking at adding bags. I like the idea of them being over the spring. If you have well liners do you have to chop them up to mount the bags?

Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 AM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vnickerson
Looking at adding bags. I like the idea of them being over the spring. If you have well liners do you have to chop them up to mount the bags?
No need to trim

Old 11-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Mlambert22
Senior User
I put Torque brand this time, I had Firestone before... the Torque brand are the exact same as the Firestone (even use same part numbers) just a lot cheaper (250 delivered) airbags, the instructions tell you how to install them if you have the hitch in there(2 spacers -v-4)
I ran and mounted my Firestone compressor into my center counsel on my last 2 trucks (12-18) and like to be able to adjust on the fly

Quick Reply: Which air bags for OEM 5th wheel prep package?