6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Unsuccessful regen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 10:29 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Unsuccessful regen?

I think the truck tried to regen yesterday but was unsuccessful.
Like a lot of you I enabled the DPF % screen with FORscan. I have been watching it a lot trying to learn more about the regen logic.
We loaded up the camper and headed out from Rainier OR to Leavenworth wa with the DPF at 70%. I watched as it slowly got to 90% just after we crested Snoqualmie pass.
The truck started to get REAL bad MPG, like about 5 mpg, and we where going down hill with no throttle. this went on for about 15 to 20 minutes. The DPF% went from 90 to 95 then my MPGs returned back to normal.
Continued driving but mostly down hill or flat. the % final hit 100, but still no sign of regen, and we started climbing the last hills till we got to Leavenworth.
Finally the DPF% went to 95, and then continued on down to about 85%, by then we had crested the last summit and where on the way back down the hill.
I was worried that with no throttle input I would loose the regen but it continued down all the way to 0%.
The only thing I can think that happened the first regen attempt is the truck tried to go into regen just AFTER we crested Snoqualmie pas the exhaust cooled to quickly and with the long down hill run the exhaust just couldn't get hot enough to light off the extra fuel. The second time the exhaust was already at temp so the extra fuel easily burned, even with no throttle.
Its probably a one time thing where the timing of everything was such that the regen failed, if that is what happened.
I can see why Ford doesn't include the screen as standard on most trucks, it does cause some unnecessary stress when you see 100% and wonder why you haven't started Regen, and you cant do anything about it anyway.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:17 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
If you want to monitor active regeneration data, you need to know when the PCM is commanding active regeneration, more than what the two second screen provides (because you are paying attention to the road). That's the bit of information you're missing and it's just a guessing game. If EGT's are high enough due to weight up a grade, passive regeneration will burn off some soot. I have noticed with inconsistent engine load where a freshly started AR will increase soot by a few hundredths until the EGT's begin to increase above 800°F but it doesn't take long to start decreasing soot.

The Edge CTS for example shows a small red circle at the top indicating when the PCM is commanding active regeneration, which on the 2011 is commanded 30 seconds before the brief screen is shown on the instrument cluster.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can also use Forscan to monitor the Regen if you have Forscan lite on a smartphone. At my advanced age there’s no more commuting to work and my truck is now used for ‘around town’ driving. When I see that a Regen is about to start or has started I fire up Forscan on my phone and take a ride until it finishes.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:37 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I use the Edge CTS to monitor PASSIVE regens via the %Soot GPL and DPF Load PIDs. From that I learned that uphill pulls cause soot to build even though the EGTs are rising. However, that soot buildup falls once the hill is crested and the throttle is lightened.
As for active regens, the extra fuel dumped into the exhaust causes EGTs to rise or stay at high levels even when coasting downhill so the regen continues.
Until last week, I've never had a regen last more that 30 miles and had one as low as 12 miles once. While towing my 10K fiver home last week, I had a regen last for 38 miles!