1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

292 HIGH OIL PRESSURE

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
292 HIGH OIL PRESSURE

I've been driving my 55 F350 for a couple of years now. It has a rebuilt short block 292 out of a 1960 500 Galaxy in it. From day one the oil pressure has been 80psi. Doesn't matter if its idling or I'm driving down the road the oil pressure gauge is pegged at 80 psi.

The other day I drove it into the garage to do some work on it when I heard a mechanical noise and when I got out of the cab I could see I was loosing oil fast. I shut everything down and crawled underneath and the oil was coming from the oil pickup tube going into the pump. I the oil pump off and didn't see any problems. But because I have the oil pump off and I've been having such high oil pressure and wondered if anyone here could help me bring that pressure down.

I've heard there are two different springs for the pressure valve but have no clue what I have or where to locate a lighter one

Old 09-21-2018, 08:41 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
It sounds like the pressure relief valve if stuck or you got something in backwards on reassembly.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:24 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Have you put a mechanical gauge on it to verify the pressure ? Is your gauge electric or mechanical ?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 AM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by petemcl
It sounds like the pressure relief valve if stuck or you got something in backwards on reassembly.
That's what I'm wondering. I can't find an exploded view of the oil pump to see if the pressure relief valve spring goes into the valve or travels on the small end. But I just ordered a remanufactured pump from Summit Racing because my local NAPA could only find the whole pump and no rebuild kit and NAPA really liked their pumps.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:30 AM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by EBEAR
Have you put a mechanical gauge on it to verify the pressure ? Is your gauge electric or mechanical ?
No, I haven't put a mechanical gauge on but that's a great idea. I have a electric gauge. EBEAR - Just ordered a mechanical gauge. I plan on mounting it in the engine compartment because I don't want to clutter up my stock dash.

Last edited by mgerdau; 09-21-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-21-2018, 06:04 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mgerdau

No, I haven't put a mechanical gauge on but that's a great idea. I have a electric gauge. EBEAR - Just ordered a mechanical gauge. I plan on mounting it in the engine compartment because I don't want to clutter up my stock dash.
I think what was meant is to use a MECHANICAL TEST GAUGE to verify pressure and your instrument panel gauge reading. You may be able to borrow one from a place like AUTOZONE.

Now if you do buy a mechanical gauge and install it in the engine compartment, how will you monitor pressure while driving?

Reminds me of a guy that recommended I put a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel line @ the carb, (would add 20HP) but every-time I shut the engine off to go out and read the pressure, the gauge showed zero. Needless to say I returned it on warranty...

Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
I think what was meant is to use a MECHANICAL TEST GAUGE to verify pressure and your instrument panel gauge reading. You may be able to borrow one from a place like AUTOZONE.

Now if you do buy a mechanical gauge and install it in the engine compartment, how will you monitor pressure while driving?

Reminds me of a guy that recommended I put a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel line @ the carb, (would add 20HP) but every-time I shut the engine off to go out and read the pressure, the gauge showed zero. Needless to say I returned it on warranty...
LOL!
Well, I still have the stock electric gauge in the instrument cluster. I did mount a fuel pressure gauge under the hood of my Charger. But I don't turn the Charger off or leave it in gear when I want to check the fuel pressure.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Gee! I mounted my fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment so I could read it while working on the engine.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:52 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mgerdau

Well, I still have the stock electric gauge in the instrument cluster. I did mount a fuel pressure gauge under the hood of my Charger.

But I don't turn the Charger off or leave it in gear when I want to check the fuel pressure.
... hmmph ...

The guy didn't say anything about that. Maybe that's why they are holding my refund check ...

Anyways, the test gauge will verify oil pressure and calibration of the electric gauge.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Just a thought (and I need to post this fast due to CRS).

If she pumped #80 lbs. on start, someone may have jacked the relief spring and in some instances that can block/disable the actual valve relef passage and you get excessive oil pressure. Usually the filter goes first but worth checking.

Let us know how it turns out.