2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Anybody experiencing this front end clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:18 PM
vib8r
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anybody experiencing this front end clunk?

I have a 2017 F350 4X4 DRW truck that has had a clunking sound in the front end since new. The truck is now a year old and only has 3100 miles on it because I am somewhat afraid to drive it.
When it is over 77 degrees it makes a consistent clunking sound when driving down the highway. It does it at any speed and is loud enough to hear it over the radio. I can also feel it in my feet
and the steering wheel. When the temperature drops below 77 degrees or rains out the clunking seems to go away. I had a Ford Service Technician out in the truck while it was making the noise
and he did acknowledge there is a problem. He tightened up the suspension, motor mounts and the body mount bolts. This made the clunking a bit less noticeable but it is still there and you can
still feel it in the steering wheel. After complaining to the dealer again about the noise the Service Manager stepped in because he said he was a Service Technician for 20 years and knew a lot
regarding this type of problem. He drove it home one night and drove it back to work the next morning and determined the truck was working good and there was no problem with it. When I picked
up the truck after he was done with it I took it for a hour drive and the clunking was still there.

I just wanted to see if there might be anybody else out there that has had this type of noise. I think I am going to have to try and find this noise myself and fix it because the Service Manager seems to think
there is nothing wrong with the truck. ''Thanks.........

Old 09-19-2018, 05:28 PM
ArcticCircle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hubs locked?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 PM
airhawksix
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I have the same noise under the same conditions you stated. I think it is the intermediate steering shaft that goes from the steering column the the steering box that is causing the noise. I had a 2003 Chevy that made the exact same noise and it ended up being the intermediate shaft that was causing it. It was replaced, and there was no more issues.
Another forum user,A&PMech has the same issue and the dealer he went to thinks that is what is wrong with his truck...but he said the dealer told him the part was on national back order.
I will get mine to the dealer soon and see what they say about it. Hopefully it is the intermediate shaft because that is a fairly simple repair.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Brian_ct
New User
Same

I’m having the same thing and they opened a support request to ford to see if they know what it is, I’ll hear from my dealer in a few days I suppose

Old 09-19-2018, 07:48 PM
vib8r
Junior User
The Hubs are set on Auto, have never been locked. I will ask my dealer to check the intermediate steering shaft. I really appreciate the replies and if you guys do hear anything from your
dealer or find a fix for your truck could you please let me know. Might be just a feeling but I think my dealer does not want to put anymore time into trying to diagnose the problem on my truck.

Thanks.....

Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
3 different clunk threads on the same page and no fixes yet.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by ArcticCircle
Hubs locked?
locked hubs shouldnt make any clunk noise unless one of the axle ujoints were bad but that wouldnt be likely on a new vehicle

Old 09-19-2018, 10:08 PM
ArcticCircle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the hubs on these new Fords come locked from the factory and the dealer often forgets to set them to auto in the set up. This makes a very audible clunking noise while turning. Caught me off guard on my new one, and was actually how I found this forum, looking for answers to that. You're right though, they shouldn't make noise tracking straight.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:04 AM
vib8r
Junior User
My experience with this clunk was the very first drive I took with the truck. I had to take a run for a load of freight over to our shop in Houlton, Maine. I noticed on the drive over there was a noise that sounded like it was underneath the dash or around my feet. The noise sounded like somebody left had left a socket laying somewhere and it was rolling around. At first the noise was intermittent and it seemed to do it when you encountered rough spots on the road. As time went on and I got a few more miles on the truck is would do it constantly at any speed when the temperature was warm. The more I drove the truck I thought the sound was coming from somewhere in the front end.

I really like the truck but I do not like the idea of driving a truck with something wrong with it. I asked the dealer if he would treat me fair and let me trade it in for a new truck exactly like the one I have. They want $18000.00 difference to trade which is a little more than I am willing to pay. I am going to go down and talk to the dealer today to see what steps they had actually taken to try and repair the truck. I want to see if they called Ford Tech about it and if it might be possible to escalate it to a Field Engineer.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:13 PM
vib8r
Junior User
Just wanted to ask any of you guys that have this type of issue if you know the build date on your truck? Just wanted to see if there might be any connection to this problem.

My build date was 08/2017

Thanks......

Old 09-20-2018, 08:20 PM
A&Pmech
Senior User
I believe my build date is January 06 2017.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
July 2017.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 AM
BigTexDiesal
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't ever trade your truck into ford and get raped on trade in value. Worst case scenario list yourself at acouple grand above trade in. DO NOT PATRONIZE FORD AND GIVE THEM ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE YOUR MONEY DUE TO A PROBLEM THEY CREATED ADN CANT SOLVE!!!!! Sale and look at GM or Dodge. My buddy has a GM not a squeak or rattle after 33K miles. Rides much smoother.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM
vib8r
Junior User
I do like my truck and I would have another one without question as long as it did not have a clunk in the front end.

I did talk to the Service Manager at the dealership today and I am very disappointed with the outcome. He says there is nothing he can do about
this situation until he, himself, hears where the noise is coming from. I asked if he could call Ford Tech and ask about it and he said no. Now, we might not get warm enough weather until next spring for him to hear the noise. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:58 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by vib8r
Just wanted to ask any of you guys that have this type of issue if you know the build date on your truck? Just wanted to see if there might be any connection to this problem.

My build date was 08/2017

Thanks......
Mine is also 08/2017 & I'm experiencing this dreaded clunking noise.

Quick Reply: Anybody experiencing this front end clunk?