2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Under dash clunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Under dash clunk

The truck has developed a clunk when hitting small bumps and road imperfections. It seems like I remember others having the same type of noise but cant find the thread. Its not a front end problem or a console squeak. Who can help me find the thread? Thanks.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:33 PM
airhawksix
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...end-clunk.html
There are 2 different threads started on this same noise...Here is one, the other has 3 pages of comments.
I have the same issue, hopefully one us can get a fix.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the info airhawk...I don't feel I have the same issue. Mine is happening on city streets at lower speeds and does not feel or sound like the front end.
I have crawled up under the dash and cant find any obvious issues but will check again in the AM. What I remember of the post that I talked about earlier showed a pic of the steering shaft through the firewall.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 PM
airhawksix
Freshman User
Going over small bumps does it on mine too.
Hopefully somebody will figure it out.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:07 PM
Smiline
5th Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 2017 F-350 and have the same clunk. It is driving me crazy... I have been trying for a couple of months to feel where this clunk is coming from. It happens when there are small bumps in the road. It almost sounds like a cable of some sort is rapping against the back of the radio.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
I checked it out a little bit more today and could find just a little lateral slop on the brake pedal (3/8"). Not sure if that's excessive or not. Might have to get the wifey to lay down on the floorboard while we cruise a little bit.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:50 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Final update to help others...I have NO clue! After laying my hands on everything I could touch under the dash, the sound has gone away. Except for the brake pedal movement, I found nothing that made that noise. I guess I have the magical touch and cant wait to get my own TV show!

Old 09-28-2018, 05:30 PM
BigTexDiesal
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just soooo much plastic in truck. On a side note I had a horrible tick in my driver side b pillar drove me nuts. I solved by filling b-pillar with pillow stuffing. The seat belt mechanism is a horrific noise generator and generates a variety of noises. ticks, springing sounds, rattles. I also covered the mechanism with heavy foam/felt. I drove around with the plastic trim removed and it is just constant. Cant eliminate the mechanism but you can stop the pressure waves from propagating. As far as other noises after a couple hundred thousand miles hopefully the plastic will wear each other away, lol

Old 09-28-2018, 06:56 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa
Thanks for the info airhawk...I don't feel I have the same issue. Mine is happening on city streets at lower speeds and does not feel or sound like the front end. I have crawled up under the dash and cant find any obvious issues but will check again in the AM. What I remember of the post that I talked about earlier showed a pic of the steering shaft through the firewall.
That's the same clunk ... minor bumps on city streets ... rarely hear it on the highway. Open the hood, go a couple steps up on a stepladder and reach over and down inboard of the master brake cylinder and grab the steering shaft. If you have the clunk, you should be able to move that shaft up & down and side to side ... and hear a clunk at the firewall seal. Taking mine in to be diagnosed & replaced, and the clunk started at about 6k miles. What we don't know ... and probably will never know if the dealer keeps parts replaced under warranty ... is if the suspect part is the internediate shaft with the plastic sleeve, or if it is the seal.

EDIT TO UPDATE: Found my clunk was NOT from the steering shaft as reported HERE.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:23 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
I have been following that thread and the other ones like it. It never felt to me that it was anywhere but local to me under the dash. I have not had mine return in about 200 miles. If it does start back up again I will be all over that test, but until then, I will call it fixed. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:26 AM
vib8r
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is it starting to get cooler out where you live? I only hear my clunk at about 25 Celsius (77 Fahrenheit) and above. Now that our temperatures are well below that I
can not hear the clunk happening. I mentioned in the other thread that I thought the clunk was somewhere under the dash at first because it sounded like somebody
had left a socket under there somewhere and it was rolling around. As we put miles on the truck the sound progressively got more frequent while driving down the road
during warm weather. Can you fell your clunk at all in the steering wheel or around your feet or do you just hear it?

CFICARE suggested to try grabbing the intermediate steering shaft and jiggling it because we can hear a clunk doing this. When I do this on my truck it seems the clunk
is coming from the upper part of the shaft where the bushing is located. This is close to the firewall and it might be a possibility that it is what you might have.

Then again, you might have something different than what we think we have.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:05 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Temps are in the mid 70's here in Northern VA, I don't remember the temps when it all started. I am going to wait until (if) the noise returns before I check anything else, I don't want to jinx my magical hands. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:09 AM
lcseds
Tuned
Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
I had a clunking noise on my brand new 2018 F350. Dealer zip tied some stuff under the truck in the front and declared it fixed. It was clunking again before I left the lot. Sigh. But the reason I knew it was under the dash was I felt the clunking vibrate the gas pedal. So I crawled underneath and found a wire harness above the accelerator that had dropped out of place. It had one of those black plastic push in retainer clips. I believe that was hitting the gas pedal. I cannot locate where that retainer came from but I simply zip tied the loose harness to another harness making sure it was pulled away from the gas pedal. I was really nervous as this clunking was driving me crazy driving it home from the dealer after buying. I know how difficult it can be tracing noises. And I'm sure a dealer wouldn't want to put much effort into it. I'm thankful I found the problem.

Now it's as quiet as a Lincoln. Well...sort of.

Not sure this will help anyone but I thought I'd put it out there.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:57 PM
competitivecore
New User
On my 18 I had an issue similar to this and the dealer replaced the shift linkage cable. Said ford revised it to a longer cable. I was having more of a vibration in the dash though at low speeds seemed like 4th gear.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Bret Richter
New User
Anyone found a fix to the vibration in the pedal?

Quick Reply: Under dash clunk