2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Beam tech LED Indexing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Super Beast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beam tech LED Indexing

What would be the best way to make sure my Beamtech Leds are correctly indexed in the housings?

Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
I don’t have the Beam Techs, but I have had to “re-index” mine. The ones I used had the be aligned both for depth and indexing (like a clock). Depth wise, I did not have to adjust as this mainly affects the 2011-2016 Super Duty’s ability to focus light on high beam- we’ve got our own dedicated high beam now. As for indexing (per the instructions I had) think of the LED as the letter “I” as you want it vertical to disperse the ligh evenly. There are small Allen head screws that can be adjusted to get this accomplished. I’d illustrate, but they’re installed. Out of the 4 bulbs, sure enough, one was not completely in the vertical position. The Allen screws I mentioned above, well, it was off by about 1/8”. I ended up pulling the bulb from the base and re-drilled a hole which put it back to vertical position. When re-assembled/installed, I haven’t had any other issues (except for the folks that flash their high beams at me).

Hope that helps you...

Old 08-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Super Beast
New User
Thanks for the insight. Do you find that you get flashed a lot with these ?

Old 08-14-2018, 01:25 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got flashed until I adjusted my drivers side down to match the passenger.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Super Beast
Thanks for the insight. Do you find that you get flashed a lot with these ?
Well, thanks for reminding me! Living in Alaska during the summer makes headlights not as prominent as darkness. I almost forgot that my passenger side low beam is a tad off from driver’s side. I’ll make some adjustments tonight- thanks for jogging my memory!

EDIT: I have been “flashed” a few times, but on my 2011 it happened often. With a 4” lift and even with adjustments, some drivers despise LEDs/HIDs. I prefer the light quality and can see moose along the roadways easier. IMO- it’s safer for me to see what lies ahead despite having upset a few drivers. Mostly drive with just low beams & fogs (also LED)

Old 08-14-2018, 03:08 PM
kcwolf200
Junior User
I get flashed every now and then, but no more than I did with the halogens. I think people see the quad beam and assume that my high beams are on. I seem to get flashed less as more of these trucks hit the road (I bought mine early in Nov 2016).

My visibility is so much better. No moose here in Indiana, but great for spotting deer.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 948 Likes on 583 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Beast
What would be the best way to make sure my Beamtech Leds are correctly indexed in the housings?
LED chips facing the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Were you getting a weird pattern? I think I need to adjust mine, I'm getting a bit of an odd pattern on the drivers side

Originally Posted by AK-AlumADuty
I don’t have the Beam Techs, but I have had to “re-index” mine. The ones I used had the be aligned both for depth and indexing (like a clock). Depth wise, I did not have to adjust as this mainly affects the 2011-2016 Super Duty’s ability to focus light on high beam- we’ve got our own dedicated high beam now. As for indexing (per the instructions I had) think of the LED as the letter “I” as you want it vertical to disperse the ligh evenly. There are small Allen head screws that can be adjusted to get this accomplished. I’d illustrate, but they’re installed. Out of the 4 bulbs, sure enough, one was not completely in the vertical position. The Allen screws I mentioned above, well, it was off by about 1/8”. I ended up pulling the bulb from the base and re-drilled a hole which put it back to vertical position. When re-assembled/installed, I haven’t had any other issues (except for the folks that flash their high beams at me).

Hope that helps you...

Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
^^^This is correct.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
^^^This is correct.
to add to this the high beam chip set that is positioned futher back need to be on the bottom

Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Originally Posted by ymsmiley
Were you getting a weird pattern? I think I need to adjust mine, I'm getting a bit of an odd pattern on the drivers side
^^^ The one headlight I have issues with is the one that needs adjustment. I haven’t got to it yet, but when I do, I’ll see if I can’t remedy the issue. I’m thinking it’s a depth issue with the bulb in how it sits in the socket base. Oh, BTW, make 100% certain that you only retain one rubber gasket per bulb. More to follow...

Old 08-15-2018, 01:16 AM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Adjustments were not necessary. Per the owner’s manual I checked vertical adjustments and they were fine. No horizontal adjustments are required. I double checked the alignment/indexing of the LED bulb. As I mentioned in a prior post, it should be vertical and as someone else mentioned, LED chips at 9 & 3 o’clock.

The finished product

Passenger

Driver

Old 08-15-2018, 01:17 AM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Is it me, or does the passenger side look a tad off?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:22 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 948 Likes on 583 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike189677

to add to this the high beam chip set that is positioned futher back need to be on the bottom
I'm not understanding this statement. I thought that these bulbs were H13 that contained both high & low beam so they're the same for top and bottom lenses. As far as orientation within the lens anything that I've seen simply states to position the chips directly right and left or at 3 & 9 o'clock positions. The pattern wouldn't be right if the chips were at the 6 and 12 o'clock or top & bottom positions.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:03 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AK-AlumADuty

Well, thanks for reminding me! Living in Alaska during the summer makes headlights not as prominent as darkness. I almost forgot that my passenger side low beam is a tad off from driver’s side. I’ll make some adjustments tonight- thanks for jogging my memory!

EDIT: I have been “flashed” a few times, but on my 2011 it happened often. With a 4” lift and even with adjustments, some drivers despise LEDs/HIDs. I prefer the light quality and can see moose along the roadways easier. IMO- it’s safer for me to see what lies ahead despite having upset a few drivers. Mostly drive with just low beams & fogs (also LED)
People only despise them when they put bulbs in housings that were not designed for them.

Quick Reply: Beam tech LED Indexing