Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 f150 budget build

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 01:45 PM
87diesel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 f150 budget build

I bought this f150 a few months ago for $200 because the head gasket was blown and I needed a winter project to keep me outta trouble. It's a 4.9 5 speed reg cab short bed 2wd with 2.73 rear end. I fixed the head gasket but the motors seen better days and the trans is alright but I've been tossing around making it a bit of a sleeper. I'm wanting to keep it as cheap as possible as far as using readily available parts and who knows from there. Im thinking maybe doing a 351 with a c6 trans and a floor shifter. I've never done anything like this before so itd be my first build so i figured id see how plausible it was. I can find a complete c6 for around $300 and I could probably find a donor truck for a few hundred so I can swap everything i need for the motor. What year motors would be most desireable? Should I keep it EFI? I don't have emissions testing where i live. Would i need a different crossmember for the c6 and could find a driveshaft or would it need to be custom? I'll keep the motor stock to start but how much power can the trans and 8.8 handle? If i do replace anything with a new part i'll get a quality one but if I can salvage most of it that'd be something to brag about in itself. Thanks

Old 08-12-2018, 12:23 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 87diesel
I bought this f150 a few months ago for $200 because the head gasket was blown and I needed a winter project to keep me outta trouble. It's a 4.9 5 speed reg cab short bed 2wd with 2.73 rear end. I fixed the head gasket but the motors seen better days and the trans is alright but I've been tossing around making it a bit of a sleeper. I'm wanting to keep it as cheap as possible as far as using readily available parts and who knows from there. Im thinking maybe doing a 351 with a c6 trans and a floor shifter. I've never done anything like this before so itd be my first build so i figured id see how plausible it was. I can find a complete c6 for around $300 and I could probably find a donor truck for a few hundred so I can swap everything i need for the motor. What year motors would be most desireable? Should I keep it EFI? I don't have emissions testing where i live. Would i need a different crossmember for the c6 and could find a driveshaft or would it need to be custom? I'll keep the motor stock to start but how much power can the trans and 8.8 handle? If i do replace anything with a new part i'll get a quality one but if I can salvage most of it that'd be something to brag about in itself. Thanks
If you got it to run and drive, sell it. Use the money to buy a better one that needs the same kind of work. Find one like you want.

People make this mistake over and over. If it's not what you want the LAST thing you want to do is spend your time and money on it.

Add some value and sell it. Or drive it to get your value out of it. Bragging is for fools.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:48 PM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very much agree with Hardscrabble! Sell it and find a truck with a big block to start with.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:48 PM
87diesel
Junior User
If i wanted to do it the easy way sure, I would sell it. But this is more about learning how to do something i havent done before. And i practically have no money in this truck, nor will I get much out of it so i figured why not. So if anyone has any useful answers to my questions, id appreciate the input.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:51 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
A stock 351W is lack-luster, not much for a sleeper. If you can find a 351W with a healthy bottom end (enabling you to skip machining & associated rebuild costs), and put some junkyard GT40 heads on it with a tight head gasket (shoot for 0.040" squish), along with a better cam (search), long tubes, and port a 5.8L lower intake to match the 5.0L truck upper intake I think you might have something. Cost depends heavily on junkyard parts, those parts being serviceable, and you doing all the work. Could be a fun project. Or, dive off the deep end into a custom turbo setup. ProFound on Youtube has posted on here about his turbo builds, pretty cool stuff. Probably not where you want to start but hey, maybe it's exactly where you want to start. You'll likely want to regear the axle eventually, 2.73 won't be much fun.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 AM
andy011
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
port a 5.8L lower intake to match the 5.0L truck upper intake I think you might have something.
What all would this involve, for those of use that have never ported something before? Drimmel/grind out the insides of the 5.8 lower to match the 5.0 upper?

Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by andy011
What all would this involve, for those of use that have never ported something before? Drimmel/grind out the insides of the 5.8 lower to match the 5.0 upper?
Dremmel might take a week, but yes that's the idea. I used a harbor freight electric die grinder with a coarse carbide burr for aluminum. It's a cheap way to improve air flow of the intake. Here's a good read: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1465483-5-0-upper-plenum-to-5-8-lower-hybrid-project.html

Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 AM
LSCRX
Tuned
I thought when you said "2.73 rear end" that had to be a typo... nope! Only available with the I6 and a manual, that had to be a dog (no offense), I thought my 302/3.08 combo was bad! I am keeping an eye out for a 3.55 or 4.10 rear end for my truck with a limited slip... I suggest you do the same!

Good luck with the project!

Old 08-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
I'm wanting to keep it as cheap as possible as far as using readily available parts and who knows from there. Im thinking maybe doing a 351 with a c6 trans and a floor shifter.
You will be swapping out the whole powertrain so a carb is a good option. For that you have to change the fuel tank, pump and lines and install a completely different ignition system but then you're set for the engine upgrades that will happen down the road.
What year motors would be most desireable? Should I keep it EFI?
A '94+ 5.8 for the factory roller cam, that was the best equipped 5.8 and it works great with both carb and EFI. To make an EFI 5.8 work you need to source a compatible v8 engine bay wiring harness and PCM for a manual or C6 truck which would be an early model before the E4OD trans became common. That's all good but as soon as you start building the motor the EFI system will need upgrades in the form of a MAF conversion and a tuner and larger injectors and fuel pump. Doable but not cheap.
I'll keep the motor stock to start but how much power can the trans and 8.8 handle?
The 8.8 and C6 are plenty strong with lots of aftermarket upgrade support but your particular axle with that lincoln towncar gear won't be any fun in a sporty vehicle, the 3.55LS option was common in the V8 trucks though and would be a good match for a C6 equipped powertrain. In this case you would just swap out the entire axle unless you decide to go all in for a proper performance ratio like 4.10 and just swap the ring and pinion. Of course that is the time to also upgrade the diff to an LS or locker but that is going to cost lots more than a used axle swap.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 PM
87diesel
Junior User
Ok good to know i'm definitely gonna swap out the rear end at some point I hate how high its geared. Its hard to find a broke down 5.8 f150 around here so i might just get a pick-n-pull one if its easiest to go carb. As far as the motor goes am i just gonna need it and the 5.8 radiator or is there anything else that itd require? Ignition, fuel pump, intake and carb, all that would be something i'd have to buy aftermarket or find off of something else. Will the driveshaft need to be custom made or will mine work? I dont know what all changed with the e4od but I wouldn't think the length would. Is there a certain tailshaft length i could watch for? Thanks

Old 08-14-2018, 01:45 PM
87diesel
Junior User
I've also read about the heads and intake, so i'll check around the scrap yards. I'm just wanting to start with what i'd need to install to get it running, and then i can go from there. I don't wanna put a bunch if work and do everything to it, only to find out something went wrong and have to tear it all apart. I'm gonna start by getting the current drivetrain pulled and sold, I dont have a lot of room in my garage for a bunch of extra parts.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:25 AM
87diesel
Junior User
I've been real busy and haven't gotten far on the truck, but i'm starting to get some free time and extra cash. So far i've got the trans pulled and am waiting on that and the motor to sell so its not taking space before i go too far. But I was able to pick up what seems to be a good c6 from a guy who did a similar build for $100 with the tc. And im looking for a parts truck still but kinda hard to find what i exactly need. I've come across another guy that has 2 bare 351w blocks for $40 he says are in good condition, so im thinking about picking em up tomorrow if theyre good and not already bored out. Is there anything i should also look for? Casting numbers or anything? And if i get em, what would be the best way to go for the bottom end? I wanna build the first one to around the 400hp range and i might keep the other for a nice build down the road. I can get a full rebuild kit with stock bottom end for $335 if itll handle those numbers. Would any part of that not be made for that amount of power? I'm not counting the cam And i'll probably stick with looking for gt40 heads and rebuilding them, and then a carb setup. Thanks for all the help so far

Old 10-10-2018, 10:21 AM
CamoF-250
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LSCRX
I thought when you said "2.73 rear end" that had to be a typo... nope! Only available with the I6 and a manual, that had to be a dog (no offense), I thought my 302/3.08 combo was bad! I am keeping an eye out for a 3.55 or 4.10 rear end for my truck with a limited slip... I suggest you do the same!

Good luck with the project!
I've actually wondered how my 351W/3.08 combo was even marketed. What was the supposed adavantage. You can't tell me it was cheaper than useing less ratios overall.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM
CamoF-250
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been real busy and haven't gotten far on the truck, but i'm starting to get some free time and extra cash. So far i've got the trans pulled and am waiting on that and the motor to sell so its not taking space before i go too far. But I was able to pick up what seems to be a good c6 from a guy who did a similar build for $100 with the tc. And im looking for a parts truck still but kinda hard to find what i exactly need. I've come across another guy that has 2 bare 351w blocks for $40 he says are in good condition, so im thinking about picking em up tomorrow if theyre good and not already bored out. Is there anything i should also look for? Casting numbers or anything? And if i get em, what would be the best way to go for the bottom end? I wanna build the first one to around the 400hp range and i might keep the other for a nice build down the road. I can get a full rebuild kit with stock bottom end for $335 if itll handle those numbers. Would any part of that not be made for that amount of power? I'm not counting the cam And i'll probably stick with looking for gt40 heads and rebuilding them, and then a carb setup. Thanks for all the help so far
I know nothing about building engines but I think I have learned this much by reading threads on here: Look for a whole engine or truck from a 95/96 5.8L. It should have a roller cam and be mass air/OBDII. Speed Density/OBDI like much truck seems to be limited by the vacuum change from larger cams.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:54 AM
87diesel
Junior User
Fair enough it just seemed too cheap not to try and get em. And i was gonna get rid of the efi since it won't be a daily and i don't have to worry about emmisions here. I don't know why they tried to gear em so high fuel economy numbers on flat ground maybe.

Quick Reply: 92 f150 budget build