2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Beamtech LED Head- and Fog Light Upgrade Questionaire

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:23 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Question Beamtech LED Head- and Fog Light Upgrade Questionaire

Hey, Folks!

We were unable to revise the June 12 order for our 2019 F350 Lariat Ult Pkg and add the LED lighting option. So, we're back to Plan “A”, which is to go the after-market route. I'm set for LED bulbs for the tail lights (including the FORscan rev), license plate lights, and the front running/turn signal lights, and I suspect I can figure out which bulbs to get for the reverse lights.

I've been following the various discussions on this forum about LED conversions, and I've also researched the topic online (example). The Beamtech LED bulbs (H13 for the headlights and H10 for the foglights) appear to be favorably reviewed (on this forum,on Amazon, and elsewhere) for performance and price, and also for mimicking the original halogen bulb patterns in the OEM reflectors.

For those of you that the made tone or both conversions conversion, I hope I can impose upon you to share specific results from your projects:
  1. Alignment: The H13 bulb base suggests it can be installed up/down at 0 degrees or 180 degrees. Did you find that it mattered, or is an indexed "top"?
  2. Alignment: Once installed, are the beam patterns horizontal (pre-aligned), or did you need to use an Allen key and set screw to tweak the alignment?
  3. RFI: I've seen a few reports about RFI from certain LED upgrades affecting the audio system, although it's not clear as to whether it's associated with these particular bulbs models. Any such issue with your trucks?
  4. Flicker: Any issues?
  5. Longevity: Bulbs holding up OK?
  6. Gaskets: I've seen a few reports about poor gasketing, and that some have re-purposed the (red?) gaskets from the original bulbs onto the replacement bulbs for a better fit and seal. Any comments?
  7. Compatibility: Any “Head-/Fog Lamp Out” warnings from the instrument panel?
  8. Brightness: Comments on brightness compared to OEM halogen bulbs?
  9. Color: Comments on light color temperature (i.e., LED “white” vs. halogen “yellow”)?
  10. Pattern: Comments on LED illumination patterns vs. OEM halogen patterns?
  11. Any other advise, comments, suggestions or warnings?
Thanks in advance for your responses, and I hope this discussion will be useful to others as well.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 948 Likes on 583 Posts
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer
Hey, Folks!

We were unable to revise the June 12 order for our 2019 F350 Lariat Ult Pkg and add the LED lighting option. So, we're back to Plan “A”, which is to go the after-market route. I'm set for LED bulbs for the tail lights (including the FORscan rev), license plate lights, and the front running/turn signal lights, and I suspect I can figure out which bulbs to get for the reverse lights.

I've been following the various discussions on this forum about LED conversions, and I've also researched the topic online (example). The Beamtech LED bulbs (H13 for the headlights and H10 for the foglights) appear to be favorably reviewed (on this forum,on Amazon, and elsewhere) for performance and price, and also for mimicking the original halogen bulb patterns in the OEM reflectors.

For those of you that the made tone or both conversions conversion, I hope I can impose upon you to share specific results from your projects:
  1. Alignment: The H13 bulb base suggests it can be installed up/down at 0 degrees or 180 degrees. Did you find that it mattered, or is an indexed "top"?
  2. Alignment: Once installed, are the beam patterns horizontal (pre-aligned), or did you need to use an Allen key and set screw to tweak the alignment?
  3. RFI: I've seen a few reports about RFI from certain LED upgrades affecting the audio system, although it's not clear as to whether it's associated with these particular bulbs models. Any such issue with your trucks?
  4. Flicker: Any issues?
  5. Longevity: Bulbs holding up OK?
  6. Gaskets: I've seen a few reports about poor gasketing, and that some have re-purposed the (red?) gaskets from the original bulbs onto the replacement bulbs for a better fit and seal. Any comments?
  7. Compatibility: Any “Head-/Fog Lamp Out” warnings from the instrument panel?
  8. Brightness: Comments on brightness compared to OEM halogen bulbs?
  9. Color: Comments on light color temperature (i.e., LED “white” vs. halogen “yellow”)?
  10. Pattern: Comments on LED illumination patterns vs. OEM halogen patterns?
  11. Any other advise, comments, suggestions or warnings?
Thanks in advance for your responses, and I hope this discussion will be useful to others as well.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
1) My information showed that the bulb needed to be oriented vertically. In other words, flat sides pointing directly left and right.
2) I had to loosen the set screw and slightly move one out of 4. In hindsight, it may have been installer error on my part.
3) No RFI for me.
4) No flicker.
5) I believe I was the first on the forum to go with Beamtech, around Christmas 2017. Not one issue so far.
6) No issue with supplied gaskets. Just need to insure that original gaskets come out with original bulbs. They like to stick to the housing.
7) No warnings on the panel.
8) I find the brightness more intense by far compared to factory halogen.
9) The LED white seems to help my eyes pick things up quicker than the yellowish halogens.
10) More of the road is covered and for a greater distance forward, especially in low beam mode. Like high beams on the old lights.
11) So far I've been flashed I believe only a total of 2 times. I really wonder if most of the time it isn't because an oncoming motorist sees 4 headlights instead of the normal 2. Also, some have gone with the total removal method to change bulbs. I did this for the first two bulb. It was then I realized that I needed to purchase 4. So I removed them until such time as I had all 4 bulbs. On the second go round I removed the windshield washer neck on the driver side and the air breather snorkel on the passenger side and left the housings installed. Much faster and easier. Some claim to have done neither and that positioning yourself for max leverage to twist the old out and the new in was key.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:56 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Thanks, Poncho! Your previous posts on this topic have been very informative.

One more question, If I may: Any issues with DRL functionality?

Thanks again,
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-22-2018, 01:48 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having the leverage was key for me. No need to remove the windshield washer reservoir extension, but you do have to remove the intake snorkel.

DRL set for both sets of lights. Been flashed once, in the day time no less.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:52 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
Its supposed to be kept "simple" to install replacement bulbs, no way in hell Ford would intend the entire headlight case removal for such a job. (Imagine going to the local auto parts store and watching the clerk attempt removal of the unit?) Its a simple 10 minute job here fellas, Enough access from the rear.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer
Thanks, Poncho! Your previous posts on this topic have been very informative.

One more question, If I may: Any issues with DRL functionality?

Thanks again,
Jim / crewzer
Not at all Jim. As stated on other posts on the forum, I set my DRL up to run fogs along with the bottom 2 headlights. I'm happy with it. Although I didn't buy Beamtech for the fog lights ( I honestly did not know they were available for fogs at the time), the bulbs I went with are close enough in color for me.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jimzpsd
Its supposed to be kept "simple" to install replacement bulbs, no way in hell Ford would intend the entire headlight case removal for such a job. (Imagine going to the local auto parts store and watching the clerk attempt removal of the unit?) Its a simple 10 minute job here fellas, Enough access from the rear.
I have to agree with this statement. But on the other hand, it's not quite as "simple" as we'd all like it. But as I said earlier, windshield washer tank neck and air breather snorkel removal are relatively simple and did do the trick. An auto parts person likely would not know this unless they'd seen or done it previously.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:53 PM
VoodooRob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy install, I removed drivers side battery for easy access and removed snorkel on passenger side. I was one of the people that had radio interference after install. It was on all stations, all the time. Contacted Beamtech and they sent out some in line plug ins that fixed the problem. I would easily do it again if given the choice. They are not a replacement for factory led, but a very nice upgrade to the factory brown light. They work fine in the rain and snow.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
My BeamTechs are great, but they don't get warm enough to keep ice and snow from accumulating on the plastic lens.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put Beamtechs in my headlights and fogs. I really loved the way they looked but they were just too bright for oncoming traffic. I actually took the time to trade vehicles with my wife and go out driving. I had her follow me several times and we would pass each other as oncoming traffic. I would adjust the headlights and try again. Bottom line is that by the time I adjusted them low enough that I felt like they weren’t inconsiderate to oncoming drivers, I didn’t have enough throw distance for the lights to be safe for me as the driver of the truck. It killed me but I removed them all and reinstalled the stock halogens. I just wasn’t comfortable with how I think they affected other drivers.

The stock halogen reflectors just aren’t designed for LED bulbs. They look great, but they’re super intense!

Old 07-22-2018, 10:25 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
I spent under $50 for all 4 of the Beamtech on ebay
I may have had the RFI issue but got the inline modules and appears to be fixed ... but i SiriusXM a lot...

I removed filler neck on drivers side and really easy...
I removed passenger side wheel well liner half way and moved it and reached up to back of housing... pretty easy

NO flicker, way brighter and White than factory halogens ( I had cataracts removal and lenses inside eyeball now, so more light is gooder for me)
No dash warnings, only been yelled at once to turn off my highbeams he did not flash me...LOL did 3.5"/1" level lift and still nobody flashes me ( i did adjust housing aim down.. plan on raising slowly til I get flashed then drop it back a smidge, but I already have plenty of light.

Did nort have to adjust bulbs themselves.. they were good to go right out of the box

Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 07-24-2018, 08:17 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the useful comments!

Headlamp alignment and glare are longtime concerns of mine. I had to realign the headlamps on our old 2017 F350 and our 2014 Highlander when they were both new. I still miss our 2006 BWW 5 wagon’s automatic vertical headlamp alignment feature.

Our new 2019 F350 will again be a 4x2 riding on 18” wheels and A/S tires, which will make it at least 3” lower than a 4x4. I hope that this will make it easier for me to both dial in an optimal headlamp alignment and minimize glare.

I may just try changing the upper headlamp bulbs to LEDs to try ‘em out. If that seems to work OK for both me and my fellow motorists, then I’ll do the lower bulbs as well.

Thanks again,
Jim / crewzer

Old 08-25-2018, 06:46 AM
DHR CREW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow makes a big difference

Old 08-25-2018, 06:58 PM
RONMCHUGH
Romcjr

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I used the Beamtech's based on Poncho450's install and review . I have zero regrets so far , they have been in approx. 5 mos. and I have no RFI and no flicker . I have had only one flash at me and I think it was the auto high beam took a little too long to change to low beams .

Quick Reply: Beamtech LED Head- and Fog Light Upgrade Questionaire