Sponsored by:

Vibration at 40mph, sticking front LH caliper

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:47 AM
kevin.ford-trucks
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Vibration at 40mph, sticking front LH caliper

I replaced the ball joints, got new tires, but have a vibration/rumble that gets worse around 40 to 50 mph. My front LH caliper is sticking. I can barely rotate the tire by hand. Front RH turns freely. On the sticking caliper one of the small spreader springs is broken. Surely that can't be the cause of the caliper sticking? Would a caliper sticking cause the rumble? Anything else to check?

Old 07-21-2018, 05:50 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
A sticking caliper could be the cause. You need to troubleshoot the caliper to see if the pistons are sticking or if its the slide pins that are gummed up.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:52 AM
Thunder Rode
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my 02 EX the left side caliper had a piston that would not retract, the pins were clean and lubed.
the pad was worn enough on the frozen end to chew up the rotor. The right side was like new.
The brake fluid was dark and greenish. (used speed bleeders)
Did not notice the drag until metal to metal. (7..3)
Replaced both sides with EBC rotors and yellow pads which do dust but work great Also new rebuilt calipers.
Those spring clips are a major pain to put back in.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:36 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunder Rode
Those spring clips are a major pain to put back in.
press pads against caliper, install anti rattle spring into holes in pad, slide caliper down over pads. It should be simple. If not you may be doing it wrong.

fwiw.....not the end of the world if you don’t install them.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:11 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
A revision .......

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

press pads against ROTOR, install anti rattle spring into holes in pad, slide caliper down over pads. It should be simple. If not you may be doing it wrong.

fwiw.....not the end of the world if you don’t install them.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:36 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
A revision .......

ya thats what I meant, LoL

Old 07-21-2018, 09:29 PM
kevin.ford-trucks
More Turbo
Bad front LH (driver) caliper was the issue. Replaced with Duralast from Autozone (has "Ford" imprinted on it) for $70. Vibration/rumble gone. I got the RH (passenger) side also. I may just do it at the same time. Pads were wearing consistent, still plenty left. If you are not careful, the little v-spreader clip gets jambed in the slots of the caliper. The lower one is kind of of hard to spot. Just lift up on the bottom of caliper and push it inside. I pinched off the fluid line with a vise grip wrapped in rubber to protect the line. I used this method,
, to bleed. I did fill the caliper first before bolting on the line. I need to bleed the whole system, old fluid is nasty greenish color.

Now then, another issue surfaces. Part 1, when I engage the 4wd hubs via the console switch (or manually), they will not disengage (either with console switch or manually (turning counter clockwise). If I go out and remove the vacuum line then they release. Part 2, when engaged the hubs make a high pitched sound. It does not sound right to me. I had this removed when I did the ball joints. LH and RH both have the same issue.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:17 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

You never, never pinch a brake hose line.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM
kevin.ford-trucks
More Turbo
What are some ways to cap the line after removing from old caliper while installing new one? Mounting the new caliper before attaching the brake line seems best. I didn't like the idea of pinching, but it did work.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:35 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Cut a board so when installed between the seat bottom and the brake pedal the pedal is applied approximately 1 - 1.5". With electric seats, we would install and move the seat forward to apply. This closes off the compensating ports in the master cylinder so the fluid doesn't drain out as long as you do one wheel at a time. It's also best to pull the brake light fuse so the battery (batteries) don't drain.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 PM
kevin.ford-trucks
More Turbo
Now that I've done one, I can probably organize it in such a way that there's not very much time between taking off the old line and putting it on to the new caliper. So the brake pedal depressed 1 to 1 1/2 in will somehow stop the fluid flow in the brake line? It just seems to me with pressure on the line it would actually drive more fluid through the brake line.

So what I did in detail for the first one is I pinched off the line, and then completely removed the line and set it aside. Then I pulled off the old brake caliper. Then I completely installed the new brake caliper, and carefully filled it full of fluid as much as I could and then I reinstalled the line.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 PM
kevin.ford-trucks
More Turbo
Does anyone happen to know the torque setting for the brake line to caliper bolt? That's the one that goes through the copper washers.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:57 PM
gmammakn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
26 ft lbs front
37 rear

Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by kevin.ford-trucks
Now that I've done one, I can probably organize it in such a way that there's not very much time between taking off the old line and putting it on to the new caliper. So the brake pedal depressed 1 to 1 1/2 in will somehow stop the fluid flow in the brake line? It just seems to me with pressure on the line it would actually drive more fluid through the brake line.

So what I did in detail for the first one is I pinched off the line, and then completely removed the line and set it aside. Then I pulled off the old brake caliper. Then I completely installed the new brake caliper, and carefully filled it full of fluid as much as I could and then I reinstalled the line.
It worked for about 10,000 caliper changes on test vehicles over 30 years, shouldn't be a problem.

It's not a continuous flow situation (like leaving the brake pedal at rest). You get an initial spurt of pressurized fluid then it stops.

Moving the master cylinder pistons forward closes off the compensating ports (or a some like to call them lately, vent ports) just like putting your finger over the end of a straw in a glass of liquid then raising the straw out of the liquid. Fluid won't come out until you remove your finger. However, if you pull both calipers at once fluid will drain from the lines up to the point of the split from the single line out of the master. Unfortunately this is often the ABS controller and if so you get air in one of the worst places to get it out.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:48 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

ya thats what I meant, LoL

I make those typo's too. You're thinking one thing, your fingers are taking a different direction.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 40mph, sticking front LH caliper