2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Moisture in cab, Moonroof related?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moisture in cab, Moonroof related?

Hey everyone. Hopefully somebody can chime in and help me out.

About a month I noticed some moisture in the under the back seat. Then I noticed mold growing under my driver side front floor liner. Took it into the dealer and they said the moonroof panels were mis aligned and it was allowing to much water the pass the seal, in return the drains couldn't keep up. They realigned the moonroof and replaced all the carpet.

Now to present day:
I opened up the rear door, and the truck felt very humid. I flipped up the rear seat and found my drill soaking wet "see photos". Carpet is dry, and I don't see any signs of water damage. Brought the truck back to the dealer, and was told that this is normal. I beg the differ, this can't be normal. I've had two sets of snap on sockets rust out. Please help me out guys!

Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 AM
1olddogtwo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 455 Likes on 284 Posts
You definitely have a condensation problem.

What's the weather been like by you? Hot in the day, cool in the evening?

Is the truck parked in the hot sun all day then A/C garage than the evening?

The more details the more help.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:43 AM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1olddogtwo
You definitely have a condensation problem.

What's the weather been like by you? Hot in the day, cool in the evening?

Is the truck parked in the hot sun all day then A/C garage than the evening?

The more details the more help.
There's been a lot of rain storms lately. I live in south Florida. It's a steady 90 degrees during the day, low 80's at night. Truck is park in sun all the time.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the rapid temperature change during the afternoon storms the windows in all my Fords end up with condensation. But I have never had anything in the vehicles show anything like the picture you posted.

Just one more advantage of living in Floriduh.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Off topic on this one.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:05 PM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Originally Posted by dnoel
I've had condensation/moisture under my back seat as well. I'm in the north valley of CA and only noticed it in the winter time. I've felt around the area and haven't found any wetness anywhere. If you figure anything out, please post it.
Will do! Just spoke with the dealer. They have no clue. They are going to leave it outside during our daily afternoon storms to see exactly what is happening.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:16 PM
rockymtns
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moon roof leak

Originally Posted by Greg McMahon
Will do! Just spoke with the dealer. They have no clue. They are going to leave it outside during our daily afternoon storms to see exactly what is happening.
i had a water intrusion major issue.. truck sat for a couple weeks in rain and snow (Chicago) opened it up and found the usb compartment with 4” water in it and carpet wet, drip coming from passenger grab handle. Took to ford and they ran water on top and said it was a clogged drain line by a spider!!! Ford CORP in Detroit said not covered as it wasn’t a part that failed !! I lost it on her and could not believe what I was being told on 10 month old 9k miles 70k vehicle!!!
Long story short my dealer covered it all , had to replace entire radio /SAT cause nav and phone went out along with usb terminal. I sent some hate mail to ford explaining my dissatisfaction saying I was not confident I wouldn’t have future electrical issues and they offered me and extended warranty for free.. I have been watching it after rains now and no issue. I will have them blow out drain lines every oil change.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 PM
1olddogtwo
Fleet Mechanic
How is that Ford's problem?

What does the cost of vehicle have anything to do with it?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM
rockymtns
Freshman User
Because that is a F'ed up design that 1 drain line of 4 gets clogged and causes this major damage let alone a drain that a spider can get into. I have 2 other fords SUV's with moon roofs that are 10 years old and never had a problem. And what do you mean "what does cost have to do with it" ? I would expect that a vehicle at that price point would be better designed ..bright star...

Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM
1olddogtwo
Fleet Mechanic
So a 20,000 car should have these problems?

I bet the guys who owns a 200K says the guys who own 70k trucks should have these problems.

How do you propose keeping spiders out of a hose/tube?.....

Anybody with common sense know they take a risk on any type of a moonroof/sunroof, that goes for a vehicle or a home.

I will agree with you that I had 0 problems with my 11, 13, 14 sunroof but I didn't have any problems with my 17 roof either.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Sunnyside42
Senior User
I would put 1-2 tubs of damp-rid in your rig asap. That won't fix the moisture ingress problem, but it will help pull it out of your interior.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM
OneCylinder
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sunnyside42
I would put 1-2 tubs of damp-rid in your rig asap. That won't fix the moisture ingress problem, but it will help pull it out of your interior.
Damp-rid works good but make sure you keep the leather conditioned. Desiccants dry-out everything.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:52 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Have the seal checked on the back glass too. Had to have mine replaced. It was leaking horribly. Mine was leaking on the top passenger side.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:00 PM
clc3251
Senior User
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the same problem with condensation on my trailer hitch, which I keep under the seat.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:52 AM
rockymtns
Freshman User
Until you do

Originally Posted by 1olddogtwo
So a 20,000 car should have these problems?

I bet the guys who owns a 200K says the guys who own 70k trucks should have these problems.

How do you propose keeping spiders out of a hose/tube?.....

Anybody with common sense know they take a risk on any type of a moonroof/sunroof, that goes for a vehicle or a home.

I will agree with you that I had 0 problems with my 11, 13, 14 sunroof but I didn't have any problems with my 17 roof either.
so you obviously have no idea and until you have a problem like this happen to your new truck keep your mouth shut and stop making idiotic comments about other people’s issues.

Quick Reply: Moisture in cab, Moonroof related?