2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Front Bumper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:32 AM
vtfireftr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Bumper Replacement

Next week I am going to replace my OEM bumper with a RanchHand winch mount. Anyone out there replaced their bumper themselves? I have a lift and a way to support the bumper while mounting it on the truck, so no issues there. Any pitfalls, or problems that came out while you were replacing your bumper I should watch out for while upgrading mine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:32 AM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get some extra hands! I just put mine frt one on yesterday doing the rear today I had to mount winch first than bumper . all went well but she is heavy . I got a old dealership bumper jack , and run a body shop so it wasn't to bad for me but will be tough by yourself and a jack.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:51 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I took mine off for powder coating and replaced it myself. I'm sure your after market bumper is much heavier than the OEM but as you said you have it covered. I only had the fog lights and a small light bar to disconnect so not that complicated.... you may have adaptive cruise control to think about? the removal of the OEM bumper is super easy. 12 bolts... and then you may need to remove the Prius catchers (I had previously removed mine) in order to mount your new bumper but those again are straight forward. As long as you are not dismantling the OEM bumper then it really an easy task just to remove it.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:56 AM
orion250
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After installing mine the front end squated about a half inch. Was looking for a way to gain it back. First looked at lowering rear end. Time consuming and looked to be a pain. Found that Daystar made a 1 inch leveling kit. Gianed back what I lost and and then some. They're nothing but polyurethane so they improved the sharpness of cracks in the roads to the steering wheel!

Daystar, Ford F250 1" Leveling Kit, fits F250/350/450/550 2005 to 2017 4WD, all transmissions, all cabs KF09150BK, Made in America https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BY63NIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4Qd7AbEEFNPND

Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 AM
briangp
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I looked at mine yesterday, was going to swap it out but figured it wasn't going to be easy without an extra hand. I don't have fog lights or ACC yet, so nothing to disconnect I think I counted 12 bolts.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:02 AM
Cornbred
Senior User
Get this to take up the added weight, I added this to my F250 with Westin winch Mount and had them on my F150 with a hidden winch. I’ll add some pics. Also, they will work with leveling kit etc.

FF350SDC ? Front Axle SES Suspension Upgrade Timbren Industries Inc. Suspension Products

Last edited by Cornbred; 05-04-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-04-2018, 09:32 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by briangp
I looked at mine yesterday, was going to swap it out but figured it wasn't going to be easy without an extra hand. I don't have fog lights or ACC yet, so nothing to disconnect I think I counted 12 bolts.
The bumper will be supported by the tow hooks. You can remove all hardware and the bumper will stay in place (it will drop an inch or 2). Then you can lift from the center and pull the whole unit right off. Two people are not needed. Just FYI

Old 05-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Warhound
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed my 488lbs bumper and winch combo alone and all i used was a jack and four 4x4 blocks of wood and let it rest against the frame while i installed some of the bolts then lined it all up and finished installing the rest of the bolts.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Warhound
I installed my 488lbs bumper and winch combo alone and all i used was a jack and four 4x4 blocks of wood and let it rest against the frame while i installed some of the bolts then lined it all up and finished installing the rest of the bolts.
That’s awesome man!!! When you do it yourself, you always know it’s done right too. I really wanted to put my 500 lb bumper and winch on myself but it’s so darn darn heavy and I figured that was one thing the dealer couldn’t screw up too badly so I had them do it. They did a nice job so along came the 60 gallon Tranfer Flow gas tank. I’ve removed and replaced these big tanks before with two jacks but I figured I’d let the dealer do some work again and save myself the aggravation. When I went to fill it, I could only fill it at a very slow rate. I checked it out when I got home and sure enough the fill hose was kinked almost completely shut. Doing it yourself saves money and eventually aggravation.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:28 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Warn Ascent

I’m looking at getting a Warn Ascent bumper & a winch. I like the look of these and they’re not overpriced like some.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Cornbred
Senior User
Originally Posted by AK-AlumADuty

I’m looking at getting a Warn Ascent bumper & a winch. I like the look of these and they’re not overpriced like some.

find a side view, you won’t want it anymore...sticks out like 8 feet.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:48 AM
vtfireftr
Junior User
Thanks for help. I have a 350 with the HD front end and plow prep, so I'm hoping it won't squat too much. I also have a front end loader on my tractor so that should help installing the new bumper. I's sure it will take some time to align the new bumper, but at least I wont have to worry about it dropping on my feet.

I will post pictures when done.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:17 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,705 Likes on 2,752 Posts
I have ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). The ACC sensor covers up the interior bumper bolts on the driver side. How do I remove the ACC sensor? I pulled the three nuts off but the sensor refuses to budge.

EDIT: Figured out that after removing the three nuts I need to back out the bolts the nuts were on using a torx socket. That means that the ACC is going to have to be recalibrated. Is there a way to record/mark the current settings so I can reinstall the sensor in the same position?

Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 PM
kartdriver8
Trailering
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I have ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). The ACC sensor covers up the interior bumper bolts on the driver side. How do I remove the ACC sensor? I pulled the three nuts off but the sensor refuses to budge.

EDIT: Figured out that after removing the three nuts I need to back out the bolts the nuts were on using a torx socket. That means that the ACC is going to have to be recalibrated. Is there a way to record/mark the current settings so I can reinstall the sensor in the same position?
I have the same issue for almost 10 months now. I even ordered the ACC box from Road Armor that does not seem to work. The dealer I worked with does not know how to recalibrate either. That means my ACC as well as my cruise is NOT working. Any recommendations would be awesome. I would like to remove the ACC feature and just have my cruise control really.

regards

kartdriver8
2017 Ford F250-KR
Road Armor Front Bumper and LOVE it

Old 10-15-2018, 03:07 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,705 Likes on 2,752 Posts
Originally Posted by kartdriver8
I have the same issue for almost 10 months now. I even ordered the ACC box from Road Armor that does not seem to work. The dealer I worked with does not know how to recalibrate either. That means my ACC as well as my cruise is NOT working. Any recommendations would be awesome. I would like to remove the ACC feature and just have my cruise control really.
To get the 100% right answer I think you would have to see what the Ford service manual says. Otherwise, what I've read indicates that you manually adjust the ACC box to change how sensitive it is. Beats me how you figure that out. I do know that I don't have torx sockets that fit the bolts. I pulled the bracket loose without disconnecting the ACC sensor from the bracket. So hopefully I won't need any calibration.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Replacement