2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Cracked Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:17 AM
K2custom
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cracked Windshield?

I just bought a 2018 F250 within 4 weeks and I have 3 cracks in my windshield! I have owned a Tundra for 5 years and not 1 crack. Just wondering if there are more out there that have this issue? The complaints have been sent to Ford, so we'll see what happens.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Are the cracks from impact or stress?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Bowtech32
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a couple from rocks on my 2014 F150, the joys of living on a gravel road

Old 04-11-2018, 10:33 AM
tortue71
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's my 3rd ford truck and they all cracked up after a couples of weeks. My current f350 literally had one small rock and it broke the windshield. I love my truck but those windshield are junk

Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Our fleet GM's are the same way. There's something wrong with OEM screens.

The replacements from Safelite Auto Scratch are much tougher and working well. We've killed a few of those as well.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM
K2custom
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toymaster
Are the cracks from impact or stress?
Impact, 1 is 16 inches long and the others are spider web's.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:28 PM
RubyRed350Platinum
Senior User
Crack!

On my 3rd windshield in 1.5 years on my Platinum.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,596 Likes on 737 Posts
I cracked mine two weeks after picking up my truck. I ran with a cracked windshield for 3 months waiting for winter sanderst\ to stop spreading grit on the roads before I got it replaced

Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Hopefully I won't tempt the windshield gods, but ... six months and 19,000 miles with no cracks at all. I've had at least 2 or 3 impacts (rocks) that I can recall, but the windshield has held up.

With my past ~12 new vehicles in the past 12 years, it seems like I was replacing them about once every 6 months (sometimes more). Heck, I had one get cracked by a rock on the drive home from picking it up brand new!

No complaints here. Fingers crossed ...

Old 04-11-2018, 03:10 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I cracked mine two weeks after picking up my truck. I ran with a cracked windshield for 3 months waiting for winter sanderst\ to stop spreading grit on the roads before I got it replaced
I have the original windshield in my trucks, they all have cracks but none are directly obstructing the driver's view..... I'm thinking one day I'll get a group discount for doing three vehicles at ones.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Fordfence35
New User
Unhappy Back Window Shattered! Warrentied ???

Looking for some insight on my little dilemma today. I was loading a standard size 1 yard river rock 1 to 3 in my bed. After a few seconds of the rocks pouring into the bed, the back window blew out. I was able to verify that the operator did NOT hit the window with the machine and there were no rocks that bounced up and hit the window itself. I truly believe that the new aluminum body was not able to handle the wait and when it was contorted from the rock going into the bed it shattered. I have seen them advertise in commercials rocks being dumped into the bed all of that. I did not over fill the vehicle and the leaf springs were not pushed down all the way with the little yellow bumper touching the axel. Sorry, not exactly sure what all this is called. I was hoping that Ford would honor this and claim it as possible a defect on their end when it comes to this "new and improved" aluminum body!? Anyone have anything on this? Anyone ever heard of anyone having the same problem? I have pictures.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Smoke ‘Em
New User
Originally Posted by K2custom
I just bought a 2018 F250 within 4 weeks and I have 3 cracks in my windshield! I have owned a Tundra for 5 years and not 1 crack. Just wondering if there are more out there that have this issue? The complaints have been sent to Ford, so we'll see what happens.
[knocks on wood]. I’ve had no cracks yet, but have had several chips that have been repaired. New windshields in general seem much more susceptible than I remember from my past. Across all brands. I’ve noticed this with late model Toyota products, Honda, Ford, Lexus and Porsche.

Great looking truck! What tires/lift are you running?

Old 04-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordfence35
Looking for some insight on my little dilemma today. I was loading a standard size 1 yard river rock 1 to 3 in my bed. After a few seconds of the rocks pouring into the bed, the back window blew out. I was able to verify that the operator did NOT hit the window with the machine and there were no rocks that bounced up and hit the window itself. I truly believe that the new aluminum body was not able to handle the wait and when it was contorted from the rock going into the bed it shattered. I have seen them advertise in commercials rocks being dumped into the bed all of that. I did not over fill the vehicle and the leaf springs were not pushed down all the way with the little yellow bumper touching the axel. Sorry, not exactly sure what all this is called. I was hoping that Ford would honor this and claim it as possible a defect on their end when it comes to this "new and improved" aluminum body!? Anyone have anything on this? Anyone ever heard of anyone having the same problem? I have pictures.
Rock landing on rock, one of them squirted out and hit the window.

No way the bed flexing is going to stress the cab. Unless the window was hardcore installed wonky. But good luck proving that one.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,670 Likes on 1,656 Posts
Originally Posted by K2custom
Jeez man, that sucks! I had a toyata once and pushed it over a cliff!!! Glass breaks......I carry glass insurance for a reason!!!! Sorry for you brittle ford glass!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:05 PM
tortue71
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fordfence35
A window is simply not covered by the manufacturer. I had my sunroof explode outward when I was completely alone at night and no luck.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield?