6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

what brake pads and rotors do you like

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:30 AM
miranda machining
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what brake pads and rotors do you like

I have an '05 F350 cc longbed srw 4x4 xlt. It says it weighs in at 11,500. What pads and rotors do you guys like?

Old 03-23-2018, 06:43 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Call me crazy but I've always been a fan of OEM on things like heavier duty pick ups, but always had good luck with anything Wagner or Raybestos.

There is certainly a myriad of cheaper choices out there, and they tend to hold up according to price IMO

I'm sure the resident brake guru Jack will weigh in soon

Old 03-23-2018, 07:05 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,407 Posts
If I could still get the assembly line “Blue Box” rotors, that would be my first choice. If not then the Motorcraft rotors since I know the specs the Motorcraft group required Federal-Mogul to manufacture to, although they are not the same as the TRW OE rotors. I would not buy drilled or slotted rotors.

Drilling rotors were done for lightening rotors for autocross acceleration, low speed work that doesn’t get the rotor vanes to pump air as in normal driving. Performance based OE vehicles that come from the assembly line with drilled rotors are designed incorporating the holes from design, so the rotor cooling vanes are designed for that change in air flow from the holes. Aftermarket companies never do that, they just drill and hopefully chamfer the holes to reduce stress concentrations. Of course they can’t chamfer the vane side of that hole through the rubbing discs can they. That’s done when the rotor are designed that holes are going to be done. So the only thing holes do is reduce the thermal absorption mass. Dyno testing by my old company showed the rotor temps for these aftermarket examples actually rose in grade fade testing sequences.

Grooves work for removing gas or water from the brake pad surfaces. In wet weather they improve braking for one revolution of the wheel, about 9 feet. They do remove organic component high temperature gassing, where the friction material is operating in a temperature range higher then it was designed for, or is just a poor choice for the application. For a good friction product, that’s over 1200°F, about what our trucks can achieve during a high speed mountain grade run at GVW, or in-city with a lot of stop and go traffic under 25mph, so the rotor vanes never have an opportunity to pump air. Grooves require a friction material that is very stiff, otherwise if the groove is sharp edged each passing of the groove slices a microscopic amount for friction material with every passing. But a still friction material has a tendency to hot spot rotors, which leads to developing hard spots in the rotor surface. So grooves lets a supplier use a less capable brake pad, not something I care for. Plus there are shops out there that do not care for turning rotors that are grooved since they can chip the bits they use.

So I prefer to use a full surface rotor with as much mass as possible with good cooling tendencies, ie the factory rotor.

As far as pads for the +’05 trucks I prefer the factory blue box assembly line pads. They are a better application then the OE pads used on the ‘99-04 platform. If you do out of the normal work with the truck, there are choices that could be made, but a friction material is a product of compromise. If you want a higher temperature capability you are going to loose cold temperature performance, temps under 200°F where we mostly stop unladen in normal driving conditions. And maybe some wear life or noise abatement. There’s no perfect friction material for all applications.

So the question becomes what are you trying to achieve?

Old 03-23-2018, 07:34 AM
miranda machining
Freshman User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Call me crazy but I've always been a fan of OEM on things like heavier duty pick ups, but always had good luck with anything Wagner or Raybestos.

There is certainly a myriad of cheaper choices out there, and they tend to hold up according to price IMO

I would line to get 60-80k out of the pads and rotors with mostly combination city/rural driving and only occasional towing.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:37 AM
miranda machining
Freshman User
Originally Posted by navistarnut

I live in a rural area but drive into the city daily. Not a lot of stop and go driving but I want good brake life. I'm an old guy with more money than time so I don' want to be replacing again soon.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:39 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

What brake life are you getting now and with what pads?

Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 AM
loudoun
Junior User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
If I could still get the assembly line “Blue Box” rotors, that would be my first choice. If not then the Motorcraft rotors since I know the specs the Motorcraft group required Federal-Mogul to manufacture to, although they are not the same as the TRW OE rotors. I would not buy drilled or slotted rotors.

Sorry for the basic question--what is "Blue Box"? Thanks.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:12 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Tom, not a basic question. This was terminology I communicated in for 30 years, and although it's somewhat used in forums, it's not well known. And unfortunately I just go back to the terminology as it's what I'm used to.

There's two types of pads (and pother parts) you can get a Ford dealership, the OE pads that were assembly line installed on the vehicle, or Motorcraft aftermarket pads which usually come in several versions or grades.

The assembly line installed pads tend to be the most expensive and during my career were what was installed on a vehicle if there was in-warranty issues. The dealership was supposed to reinstall the OE assembly line pads that passed the new car FMVSS requirements for new car production. The box will look like this, it's a cardboard box that has blue coloring for the label and insignia. It will carry they typical three segment (prefix, base part, suffix) part number. Hard to get out of a parts counterperson:

The Motorcraft lineup are parts not originally equipment on the vehicle but are often called out as OE. That depends on your terms, if you think the dealer is "OE". In my world, they are dealer parts, but not OE as in originally equipped on the vehicle during assembly or production.

The Motorcraft box looks like this, not blue. Note I was not trying to grab pictures of the same application. While the Motorcraft box indicates the OE BlueBox part number, the predominant number is the Motorcraft aftermarket code.

That being said, Ford has stringent specifications for the Motorcraft brake parts, and the majority of aftermarket pads, shoes, rotors and drums that are in the aftermarket world would not meet those requirements. So even the Motorcraft line-up is better then what you will find in the auto parts stores. Federal-Mogul was the OE assembly line friction material supplier for our trucks, Federal-Mogul is the supplier for the Motorcraft pads, shoes, rotors and drums, and all of those parts are usually improved over what Federal-Mogul sells in the aftermarket under the Wagner brand. There are some Wagner parts that are as good, but not better. The aftermarket chain stores don't want to pay that price.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:52 AM
miranda machining
Freshman User
What brake life are you getting now and with what pads?
I've only had the truck for a few weeks but I think I am hearing a grinding when I come close to stopping speed so if the weather ever warms up I would like to swap them out.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:56 AM
miranda machining
Freshman User
Tom, not a basic question. This was terminology I communicated in for 30 years, and although it's somewhat used in forums, it's not well known. And unfortunately I just go back to the terminology as it's what I'm used to.

There's two types of pads (and pother parts) you can get a Ford dealership, the OE pads that were assembly line installed on the vehicle, or Motorcraft aftermarket pads which usually come in several versions or grades.

The assembly line installed pads tend to be the most expensive and during my career were what was installed on a vehicle if there was in-warranty issues. The dealership was supposed to reinstall the OE assembly line pads that passed the new car FMVSS requirements for new car production. The box will look like this, it's a cardboard box that has blue coloring for the label and insignia. It will carry they typical three segment (prefix, base part, suffix) part number. Hard to get out of a parts counterperson:

The Motorcraft lineup are parts not originally equipment on the vehicle but are often called out as OE. That depends on your terms, if you think the dealer is "OE". In my world, they are dealer parts, but not OE as in originally equipped on the vehicle during assembly or production.

The Motorcraft box looks like this, not blue. Note I was not trying to grab pictures of the same application. While the Motorcraft box indicates the OE BlueBox part number, the predominant number is the Motorcraft aftermarket code.

That being said, Ford has stringent specifications for the Motorcraft brake parts, and the majority of aftermarket pads, shoes, rotors and drums that are in the aftermarket world would not meet those requirements. So even the Motorcraft line-up is better then what you will find in the auto parts stores. Federal-Mogul was the OE assembly line friction material supplier for our trucks, Federal-Mogul is the supplier for the Motorcraft pads, shoes, rotors and drums, and all of those parts are usually improved over what Federal-Mogul sells in the aftermarket under the Wagner brand. There are some Wagner parts that are as good, but not better. The aftermarket chain stores don't want to pay that price.
So are we able to get the OE parts if we go to the dealer?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:32 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Jack is very, very well informed on brakes, and OE/blue box would be the best. From the aftermarket I've have good luck with Power Stop products on my Jeep and am about to put them in my Focus, i guess I will on the truck when it needs them eventually. I will say that those other vehicles are obviously at most half the weight of my empty truck and don't tow, but I get good service life from them and they seem to work fine. I've had store brand (Autozone Gold) front pads in my truck for awhile now with the original rotors, and they're nasty dirty things. They seem to work fine, but my wheels turn black in a week of normal driving.

Whatever you DO choose, spent time on the installation and clean the hub face, and if you can use a dial gauge to measure rotor runout. You could use the best OE parts and still get brake pulsation if your have corrosion on the mounting face that gives you a large runout.

Jack - Do rotors or pads have a "shelf life"?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:54 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I believe the last year of production was 2008, so adding three years of warranty 2012 was the end of pad production. So it depends if there is any stock sitting on a shelf. Parts guys tend to sell the Motorcraft as do service for cost competitiveness for post 3/36. However I can say with confidence the Motorcraft are pretty darn close to OE unless some damn fool in Smithville, TN came up with a better idea.

The reason for Federal-Mogul to get the Motorcraft contract in 2001 was it performed the same performance, durability and NVH vehicle tests that were done for the OE level. GM and Chrysler does not do that, and no other aftermarket supplier has done that for decades. It has been a selling point for Motorcraft.

Grinding can come from various sources, but a frozen piston, pin, or pad in bracket can cause a failure. Otherwise under normal light to moderate service the brakes on the Superduty can make it for 100k miles. I can do about 130 to 140. But a concrete guy hawking all the time may only get 30k. It really depends on energy dissipated per mile.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:15 PM
miranda machining
Freshman User
I believe the last year of production was 2008, so adding three years of warranty 2012 was the end of pad production. So it depends if there is any stock sitting on a shelf. Parts guys tend to sell the Motorcraft as do service for cost competitiveness for post 3/36. However I can say with confidence the Motorcraft are pretty darn close to OE unless some damn fool in Smithville, TN came up with a better idea.

The reason for Federal-Mogul to get the Motorcraft contract in 2001 was it performed the same performance, durability and NVH vehicle tests that were done for the OE level. GM and Chrysler does not do that, and no other aftermarket supplier has done that for decades. It has been a selling point for Motorcraft.

Grinding can come from various sources, but a frozen piston, pin, or pad in bracket can cause a failure. Otherwise under normal light to moderate service the brakes on the Superduty can make it for 100k miles. I can do about 130 to 140. But a concrete guy hawking all the time may only get 30k. It really depends on energy dissipated per mile.
Ok - thanks!

Old 03-23-2018, 01:20 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Bryan they better not. I’ve got OE blue box rotors for my truck purchased a dozen years ago when they were going out of production. I’ve even got some lightly used 500 mile rotors on the farm with a little rust. I've installed 10 year old rotors from storage that measured fine for runout.

You bring up a great point about rotor runout. It’s probably the least understood aspect of building up new brakes on a vehicle, and yet it’s been highly investigated since the early days of the ‘90’s, and caused a complete change in the hubs and rotors during the first year of Superduty production, and why the ‘99 hubs and rotors were changed. It’s also probably the biggest reason for turned rotors to have a poor result, other then hard spots in the rotor.

There are good performing products out there, depending on what you are trying to achieve. If you want a higher friction, depending on how it’s done you are going to sacrifice rotor or pad wear, or have a higher disparity in cold to hot friction. Or maybe noise. Even the center bullseye in your brake target is a compromise of all the aspects. But then I’m a detail guy, and what is a a concern for me is acceptable for someone else.

As an example, on my ‘99-04 brake system the OE material I thought was one of the best overall friction materials at the time. But it was not a good application on the Superdutys that were used as a consumer vehicle. It was a low abrasion material yet the early Superdutys had a high warranty for brake pulsation. This occurred because they were driven with a low brake application per 1000 miles. You always have some brake wear and you always have some runout. You never 100% clear one of the pads touching the rotor. A high enough runout, a fair amount of brake-off wear at that high runout, and not enough corrective on-brake rotor wear, you develop pulsation from brake disc thickness variation. But on pads that are more abrasive during stopping events and the rotors correct true. I run Hawk LTS pads although the cold brake performance isn’t as good as the OE. But they have a higher hot friction then OE, so they are good for trailering. Compromise. Everyone thinks they stop better then the OE, but since I had a test run to compare to the OE tests were already did, I know it feels that way, but stops the same. The deceleration comes in during the stop, but you loose a lot of distance at the beginning of the stop.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 AM
miranda machining
Freshman User
Had a "growl" coming from right rear and ordered the motorcraft pads and ac/delco rotor from amazon on Saturday afternoon. Sunday evening I blew a seal on the caliper.

Swung by the local Autozone on Monday on the way home from work and picked up a caliper. Pulled everything apart and wow ... what a mess. Somehow a piston cracked and wedged against the rotor.

Figure no problem, I got everything with me (Amazon had already delivered in the afternoon - wow!). Take everything off and compare to what I got from Amazon and somehow I must have ordered wrong. Wrong rotor and pads. At least the caliper was correct. BTW, evidently there are either rear mounted or front mounted calipers on these so best to take a look before you go to the parts store. Fortunately for me my son was at my shop and I was able to call and ask him to take a look for me.

Have to get the truck back on the road so back to Autozone (am I allowed to mention them by name? - hope I'm not violating policy - I already got dinged once for posting in the wrong category). Bought the gold series semi-metallic on the recommendation of several here to avoid the ceramics. Also got the gold series rotor - wasn't cheap - like over $100 buck just for the rotor. It's coated with a dark colored coating - not sure what that is all about but it looks cool.

I'll try to report back in a year or so and let you all know my results on the pads and rotor and whether I get good stopping and brake life. So far they seem great but who knows how long that right rear was compromised. So I may not have a good comparison yet since I've only had the truck for a month.

I'll get to the other side when the weather cooperates or it starts letting me know it's time.

One last thing, these were the easiest brakes to bleed. It literally took like two minutes. These master cylinders must have huge pistons or something.

Alright, thanks for all the help for this old guy.

Last edited by miranda machining; 03-27-2018 at 06:42 AM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: what brake pads and rotors do you like