1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 7.3 issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:37 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 7.3 issue

info: 2000 Crew Cab, LWB, 7.3L, ZF6 , TS Tuner, 170000 miles
Ive noticed lately that when I crank up my truck it will sometimes blow lots of blue smoke and then sometimes just a small puff and then sometimes nothing at all. It smells like unburnt fuel.
Everything clears up when Im driving, but lately Ive noticed some skipping when I give the and it clears up after a few seconds. Sometimes I can still feel it, but again it clears up and the truck rolls on.
Now when I come to a stop in some cases I can feel the and then sometimes some blue smoke puffs out my but clears up after that.
I have a bluetooth scanner and use the Forscan Lite App and nothing pops up other than the
Any ideas what is causing this?

Last edited by IB Tim; 03-20-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
What is up with all the Amazon links in your post?

Sounds like your GP or GPR are not working, creating the blue smoke. Is the truck only "skipping " when it's cold?

Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 PM
StrokinHer01
Senior User
Damn amazon spam!! It’s everywhere here!!!!

Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
DO NOT put the Amazon code in any more post, ot threads or signatures....or anything.
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
info: 2000 Crew Cab, LWB, 7.3L, ZF6 , TS Tuner, 170000 miles
Ive noticed lately that when I crank up my truck it will sometimes blow lots of blue smoke and then sometimes just a small puff and then sometimes nothing at all. It smells like unburnt fuel.
Everything clears up when Im driving, but lately Ive noticed some skipping when I give the and it clears up after a few seconds. Sometimes I can still feel it, but again it clears up and the truck rolls on.
Now when I come to a stop in some cases I can feel the and then sometimes some blue smoke puffs out my but clears up after that.
I have a bluetooth scanner and use the Forscan Lite App and nothing pops up other than the
Any ideas what is causing this?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:24 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Blue smoke does happen when it is cold but ive noticed some blue smoke puff out when i give the truck throttle when its skipping. Im lost at why it is doing it. No codes or anything.

I saw the amazon things and wondering what theyre doin on here.

i copy and pasted my thread from a powerstoke forum since no one answered me there.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:25 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IB Tim
DO NOT put the Amazon code in any more post, ot threads or signatures....or anything.
i did not put them on there.
i copy and pasted my thread from powerstroke nation since no one answered me.

i saw the amazon things on here after i posted, but thought it was only showing on my phone.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
OK sorry it is embedded as you know with carp.....if you do it again just remove the source ..........and no worries....we are good
i did not put them on there.
i copy and pasted my thread from power-stroke nation since no one answered me.

i saw the amazon things on here after i posted, but thought it was only showing on my phone.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IB Tim
OK sorry it is embedded as you know with carp.....if you do it again just remove the source ..........and no worries....we are good
10-4. Thanks. I have Amazon on my phone so i figured it was linking stuff. Never saw it do it before. But will remove it if it happens again.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
You have a PM
10-4. Thanks. I have Amazon on my phone so i figured it was linking stuff. Never saw it do it before. But will remove it if it happens again.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Blue smoke does happen when it is cold but ive noticed some blue smoke puff out when i give the truck throttle when its skipping. Im lost at why it is doing it. No codes or anything.

I saw the amazon things and wondering what theyre doin on here.

i copy and pasted my thread from a powerstoke forum since no one answered me there.
Ok, but does the blue smoke go away after it warms up? Have you tested your GPR?

Old 03-20-2018, 07:05 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Colorado350

Ok, but does the blue smoke go away after it warms up? Have you tested your GPR?
How do i test the GPR? This is the first diesel Ive owned. We have diesel trucks at work, but i dont notice blue smoke from them.

It happens at cold start up which i hear is normal. It goes away. It burns my eyes and smells like unburnt fuel.

Lately ive notice some skipping like this morning when i left for work. And i gave it throttle and i saw a puff of blue smoke come out. The truck stopped skipping eventually and i gave it throttle again and black smoke came out since i run my tuner to the one above stock.

Now lets say i stop somewhere for a few and shut my truck off and then i come back out and crank it up. I see no blue smoke. But i start driving some and i notice my truck skipping; its like it goes, but then like it loses power for a second and clears up. Again, i see a puff of blue smoke come out of it and it clears up and then my truck just stops skipping and it goes like normal.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
How do i test the GPR? This is the first diesel Ive owned. We have diesel trucks at work, but i dont notice blue smoke from them.

It happens at cold start up which i hear is normal. It goes away. It burns my eyes and smells like unburnt fuel.

Lately ive notice some skipping like this morning when i left for work. And i gave it throttle and i saw a puff of blue smoke come out. The truck stopped skipping eventually and i gave it throttle again and black smoke came out since i run my tuner to the one above stock.

Now lets say i stop somewhere for a few and shut my truck off and then i come back out and crank it up. I see no blue smoke. But i start driving some and i notice my truck skipping; its like it goes, but then like it loses power for a second and clears up. Again, i see a puff of blue smoke come out of it and it clears up and then my truck just stops skipping and it goes like normal.

Here's a video to test your GPR, you can also install a LED in the cab that comes on when the GPR comes on. Then you'll know when and how often it's working. Blue smoke is up burnt fuel and it happens until the engine gets to operating temperature and the the combustion in complete i.e. No unburnt fuel. Where are you located? What temperatures are you seeing when you start your truck? You can also plug it in which will help it get to operating temperature faster. Do you use any additives to remove water etc? Any gauges i.e. Fuel pressure?

Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Colorado350

Here's a video to test your GPR, you can also install a LED in the cab that comes on when the GPR comes on. Then you'll know when and how often it's working. Blue smoke is unburnt fuel and it happens until the engine gets to operating temperature and the the combustion in complete i.e. No unburnt fuel. Where are you located? What temperatures are you seeing when you start your truck? You can also plug it in which will help it get to operating temperature faster. Do you use any additives to remove water etc? Any gauges i.e. Fuel pressure?

https://youtu.be/3zEKy2koCfE

Thanks.

Im in Southeast GA. Its like 70° at 8:53. It didnt blow blue smoke this morning when I fired it up...just on colder days around 50° or less.

I just dont know why the truck is skipping and puts out a puff of blue smoke when it is skipping.

I JUST started using Diesel Kleen in hopes it stops the skipping. Truck still skips.

No fuel psi gauges...

Old 03-20-2018, 08:19 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
If your getting smoke out the tailpipe after its already warmed up and your driving around it is not a glow plug issue. White/Gray smoke is more in line with unburned fuel on a diesel. A blue tint is more likely oil. Have you checked your oil level to see if you are loosing any oil?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Evan_P
If your getting smoke out the tailpipe after its already warmed up and your driving around it is not a glow plug issue. White/Gray smoke is more in line with unburned fuel on a diesel. A blue tint is more likely oil. Have you checked your oil level to see if you are loosing any oil?
It was low the other day; like close to the add mark and I filled it up to the full mark. What is strange is it was low at my house one time. I drove up to my girlfriends place about 2 hours away and let the truck sit and then checked the oil and it was full.

So far it is still full at the moment.

Quick Reply: 2000 7.3 issue