1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Motorcraft 2150 power valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM
staunton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcraft 2150 power valve

If a power valve is leaking cam the gas in the bowl drain out to the intake when the engine is off? Trying to figure out where the gas is going in the bowl. Im not sure if its possible to drain back toward the tank so im trying to figure out where its going.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes it can but can also go back toward the tank if the valve in the fuel pump is a little weak

Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 AM
staunton
New User
I also have a rich condition when idling and adjusting the idle screw mixture inward doesn't seem to have any effect so I was looking for more evidence that the power valve was leaking before pulling the carb. I noticed the fuel is disappearing from the bowl after a short amount of time and thought it may also be power valve related and wanted to ask. Looks like I need to pull the carb and test the power valve.

On second thought, before pulling the carb I think I'm going to use a clamp and clamp the line shut so it can't go back toward the tank and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Yes it can but can also go back toward the tank if the valve in the fuel pump is a little weak
Ok please tell me how this can happen and drain the carb?

Maybe only the fuel supply line up to the carb but never the carb bowl.
Look where the float needle is, yes at the top of the bowl. There is no hose to the bottom of the bowl from the needle and seat or fuel supply line.

So it is either boiling out when you shut down the hot motor OR evaporating OR drain out thru a bad power valve.
If running rich I would go with power valve.
Dave - - - -

Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Not out of the fuel bowl, the fuel out let is usually above the fuel level in the 2150.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by staunton
I also have a rich condition when idling and adjusting the idle screw mixture inward doesn't seem to have any effect so I was looking for more evidence that the power valve was leaking before pulling the carb. I noticed the fuel is disappearing from the bowl after a short amount of time and thought it may also be power valve related and wanted to ask. Looks like I need to pull the carb and test the power valve.

On second thought, before pulling the carb I think I'm going to use a clamp and clamp the line shut so it can't go back toward the tank and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.
In some calibrations the power valve will leak in to the intake if it has failed. So Yes the PV can drain the carb if it has ruptured.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,685 Likes on 1,361 Posts
How long does it take before it drains out? If it's about a week, then it's usually evaporation through that large port on top of the carb that used to have a hose on it. Here we go again, but if these are the symptoms, plug that hose port off on top of the carb and see if it cures the problem.

Matthew, I do not feel like it today, I am not saying anything.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Franklin2
How long does it take before it drains out? If it's about a week, then it's usually evaporation through that large port on top of the carb that used to have a hose on it. Here we go again, but if these are the symptoms, plug that hose port off on top of the carb and see if it cures the problem.

Matthew, I do not feel like it today, I am not saying anything.
Then say nothing instead of being passive aggressive, jeeze some peoples kids.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:13 PM
staunton
New User
It only takes at most a day and it will be gone. No hoses missing, including the big one port at top.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Not out of the fuel bowl, the fuel out let is usually above the fuel level in the 2150.
Right you are. I was thinking of brand X

Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Right you are. I was thinking of brand X
Ya it;s hard to keep all that stuff straight in your head and not mix it up on occasion lol.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:38 AM
staunton
New User
Turned the idle mixture screws all the way in closed and the truck continued running until I turned off the ignition. Besides from the power valve, where else can gas be getting to the intake from with the idle mixture screws closed completely?

Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by staunton
Turned the idle mixture screws all the way in closed and the truck continued running until I turned off the ignition. Besides from the power valve, where else can gas be getting to the intake from with the idle mixture screws closed completely?
Closing the idle mixture screws does necessarily mean you will stall the engine. If you are running off the transfer slot or the mains the idle mixture screws will do basically nothing.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,685 Likes on 1,361 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Closing the idle mixture screws does necessarily mean you will stall the engine. If you are running off the transfer slot or the mains the idle mixture screws will do basically nothing.
In other words, the carb butterflies are open too much at idle for some reason. What is your idle speed?

Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM
staunton
New User
I set the idle down to approx. 600 rpm before closing the idle screws. It just was idling without stalling when I turned the idle screws all the way in. I let it idle for a good 5 minutes with the screws all the way in before cutting the ignition. When I pulled the carb and opened the housing that contains the power valve, I had a good bit of fuel run out. To me that means that either the valve has a leak or the little gasket around the neck of the power valve is leaking. Not sure which. I rigged up a hose from the bottom of the power valve and used a vacuum gauge to try and pull a vacuum and I never could get any vacuum to hold.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft 2150 power valve