1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Anyone have aftermarket power windows and door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:34 PM
justmosing
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have aftermarket power windows and door locks?

I've been reading a little about what it takes get the OEM power windows and door locks swapped into manuals vans and it seems like much more complicated project than I really want to get into...

Anyone ever try some of the aftermarket kits? Something like this?

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-20-2018, 01:01 PM
KarstenP
Senior User
I installed that kit in my van about 3 years ago. Works perfectly fine for me.
Took about a day with beer breaks.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:38 PM
joey7478
New User
Originally Posted by KarstenP
I installed that kit in my van about 3 years ago. Works perfectly fine for me.
Took about a day with beer breaks.
could you hook up the door lock and window with the kit if your door already have the locks and windows in the doors?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HUH ?

Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
If you could only have power door locks or power windows, which one would you choose?

I was just curious. I think if I were to add one, it would be the power door locks.
I'm not sure how much different your van is from my 88 but adding the electric door locks seems to be pretty simple depending on how you want them to work. Most of the parts could be scavenged from a donor van at a junk yard. If you didn't want remote then you could just wire them all together and use 2 relays. one for lock and one for unlock. Personally for me, all I would need is one switch on the drivers door.

All the newer cars have the button connector at all the doors to make sure they are closed before locking them older cars didn't have them. Being the driver is the first one in or out of the van, does everyone really need a door lock switch? all they have to do is pull the button up if they want out.
For me it would just the convenience of locking or unlocking the doors from one place instead of getting up out of the seat to unlock a door for someone else getting in or if I forgot to lock a door.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Annaleigh

for me the most important part is the RKE; a step above power locks.
I wish I had RKE for my house. Keys are for cavemen

ive seriously considered leaving my key in the van ignition and cutting off the head (so would-be thieves don’t see the easy target).
I really hate keys. I grew up in small town America where people would leave their houses unlocked and keys in their cars all the time. Sounds like fiction, but true.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:57 PM
joey7478
New User
Originally Posted by vettex2
HUH ?
My van came with out the power windows and doors. changed all door that have the power windows and doors.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 PM
joey7478
New User
Originally Posted by annaleigh
If you could only have power door locks or power windows, which one would you choose?

I was just curious. I think if I were to add one, it would be the power door locks.
I'm not sure how much different your van is from my 88 but adding the electric door locks seems to be pretty simple depending on how you want them to work. Most of the parts could be scavenged from a donor van at a junk yard. If you didn't want remote then you could just wire them all together and use 2 relays. one for lock and one for unlock. Personally for me, all I would need is one switch on the drivers door.

All the newer cars have the button connector at all the doors to make sure they are closed before locking them older cars didn't have them. Being the driver is the first one in or out of the van, does everyone really need a door lock switch? all they have to do is pull the button up if they want out.
For me it would just the convenience of locking or unlocking the doors from one place instead of getting up out of the seat to unlock a door for someone else getting in or if I forgot to lock a door.
Yea door locks is what I would pick to. can live with out the power windows.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:07 PM
joey7478
New User
Originally Posted by Im50fast
for me the most important part is the RKE; a step above power locks.
I wish I had RKE for my house. Keys are for cavemen

ive seriously considered leaving my key in the van ignition and cutting off the head (so would-be thieves don’t see the easy target).
I really hate keys. I grew up in small town America where people would leave their houses unlocked and keys in their cars all the time. Sounds like fiction, but true.
untill a couple months ago I left keys in my truck and house unlocked. I live in the country and the thieves are getting braver so now everything get locked.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by joey7478
Yea door locks is what I would pick to. can live with out the power windows.
I was thinking like my van, there never was any wiring in the doors from the factory. The simplest wiring would be to just run them all in series controlled by one switch. You could use 3 wire cable to all the other doors except the drivers door if that is where you wanted to mount the door lock switch. If you wanted to add a aftermarket remote, that would be easy to do too.
What are the practical reasons for wanting a lock/unlock switch at all the doors or even the passenger door if you had a simple lock/unlock remote?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:15 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by justmosing
I've been reading a little about what it takes get the OEM power windows and door locks swapped into manuals vans and it seems like much more complicated project than I really want to get into...

Anyone ever try some of the aftermarket kits? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Biltek-Window.../dp/B01721L29M
I'm having a hard time finding one for my van
I wonder if a truck one would work?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:22 PM
justmosing
Freshman User
the kits on amazon should be pretty universal. The locks and the manual crank should work pretty similarly regardless of vehicle type or make. was wondering the quality of these kits. Some reviews say that the window motor couldn't crank the window up and down, etc. Anyway. I think I'm gonna give one of these kits a shot. It'd be nice to have both. Price is pretty reasonable, if it's not great, not a big loss and Amazon will probably help out too if its a quality issue

Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 PM
joey7478
New User
Originally Posted by annaleigh
I was thinking like my van, there never was any wiring in the doors from the factory. The simplest wiring would be to just run them all in series controlled by one switch. You could use 3 wire cable to all the other doors except the drivers door if that is where you wanted to mount the door lock switch. If you wanted to add a aftermarket remote, that would be easy to do too.
What are the practical reasons for wanting a lock/unlock switch at all the doors or even the passenger door if you had a simple lock/unlock remote?
Do you think you could draw me a diagram? I'm not good with wires Thanks joey!

Old 01-24-2018, 06:17 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
You are talking about door locks only? How many doors are you going to lock and how many door lock switches do you want?
BTW what year is your van?

Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
I know I'd be happy with just having the fronts unlock

Quick Reply: Anyone have aftermarket power windows and door locks?