Sponsored by: Moser

Tire recommendations for 4x4 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Rick_W
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire recommendations for 4x4 F-150

Tried posting this under the tires section, 100+ views with no responses, so I'll ask here.

Just bought a new-to-me 2014 4x4 F-150 - SCAB, 6.5' bed, 3.5 EB, 3.73 gears - with 16.4k miles on it.

Has P275/65R18 street tires on OEM rims. I am ok with the size of the tires.

My driveway is 1,000 feet of dirt but my commute to work is 35 miles of highway.

I also travel from South MS to NW LA at least once a month (about 700 miles round-trip).

The land up there is also slick and sticky when it's wet.

The local dump is a mess even when it's dry.

Don't particularly care about snow/ice performance - we don't see too much of that down here.

Rain on the other hand...

With the amount of rain we've had this past year I've had to park our car and 2-wheel drive truck a couple times.

Would like to find something a little more aggressive than the Nitto Terra Grapplers I have on my Jeep but that
gets as good wear as those do.

I'm not sure the Terra Grapplers will be aggressive enough with the additional weight of the truck (they certainly
don't help on the 2-wheel drive Ram 2500 long-bed, crew-cab with 5.9 Cummins - they pack up fast and just spin).

Currently looking at the Cooper Discoverer S/T, Goodyear DuraTrac & Nitto Ridge Grappler tires.

Will also be going with the LT tires when I do buy - truck has the max-tow package.

I am also looking to possibly buy new wheels when the time comes to replace the tires and go with 17 inchers. Not
fond of bright shiny wheels - prefer black.

Would like to hear some real-world experience on semi-aggressive tires you've had on your F-150 with real
mileage numbers.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:24 PM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts
I run the 2nd gen Terra Grapplers (G2). They seem to do very well but I don't get into much mud out here. Mostly snow & ice for me up in the mountains. Very quiet and seem to be wearing well.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:19 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go here Mastercraft Tires - Tire Selector and see what they have for your truck. Mastercraft is a division of Cooper Tire and they're great tires.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
Check this out:

Old 01-24-2018, 09:41 PM
HFCA
Junior User
Keep me posted, or I can PM you, I have same truck but 2012, 8' bed

Old 01-26-2018, 05:17 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I went with BFG KO2's. My truck is essentially identical to yours except I have an FX4 with the 5.0L. I've had my KO2's for about 15K miles (currently at 56K) and the KO2's have been great. I've had them for about two years and they don't have hardly any treadwear. I don't take the truck mudding or anything like that but a couple of years ago we had a major snow (Major by west Texas standards) and the tires handled it like a champ. I had snow half way up my hubs and never got stuck (came close once) but it clawed it's way out.

Only real downside I've noticed with these tires is a very slight drop in fuel mileage (about 0.5mpg) on average. And it rides a little stiffer. But other than that, they have been fantastic!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:23 PM
HFCA
Junior User
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
I went with BFG KO2's. My truck is essentially identical to yours except I have an FX4 with the 5.0L. I've had my KO2's for about 15K miles (currently at 56K) and the KO2's have been great. I've had them for about two years and they don't have hardly any treadwear. I don't take the truck mudding or anything like that but a couple of years ago we had a major snow (Major by west Texas standards) and the tires handled it like a champ. I had snow half way up my hubs and never got stuck (came close once) but it clawed it's way out.

Only real downside I've noticed with these tires is a very slight drop in fuel mileage (about 0.5mpg) on average. And it rides a little stiffer. But other than that, they have been fantastic!
wow, awesome mileage on them! I'm gna keep an eye on my BFG T/A's not sure how many miles but prob at least 50% left

Old 01-26-2018, 10:38 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
For what it's worth, I absolutely hate my Nitto Terra Grapplers. I can't wait for them to wear out!!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:56 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably not what your considering but I’d at least give Toyo mts a look. All terrain like road manners, 50k mile tire with rotations, would give you plenty of traction in all the places you mentioned.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:41 AM
Rick_W
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bruker
Go here Mastercraft Tires - Tire Selector and see what they have for your truck. Mastercraft is a division of Cooper Tire and they're great tires.
I'd like to find a set of the Mastercraft Courser CXT locally to look at the tread.

I don't want a full-on mud tire, but the CXT doesn't look like it would offer any traction advantage over the Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Rick_W
Junior User
Originally Posted by WXboy
Those look very similar to the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I'm concerned how they would do in the sticky mud I have to occasionally drive through on a heavy truck.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Rick_W
Junior User
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD

Great to hear about the KO2's.

I had a set on my Jeep Cherokee and loved them.

They seem to self-clean in the mud a little better than the Terra Grapplers, as well.

I don't intentionally mud, but my drive-way, hunting lease and range all have areas of slick, sticky mud that has to be driven through at times. It's not deep - just slick & sticky.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:52 AM
Rick_W
Junior User
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
For what it's worth, I absolutely hate my Nitto Terra Grapplers. I can't wait for them to wear out!!
What do you hate about them?

I love them on my Jeep Wrangler - but that's a fairly light vehicle.

My concern on a full-size truck is that they won't self-clean in the mud and I'll end up sitting and spinning.

I don't go looking for mud and where I go it's not deep, but it's very slick and sticky. Lot's of red clay around here.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Rick_W
Junior User
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
Probably not what your considering but I’d at least give Toyo mts a look. All terrain like road manners, 50k mile tire with rotations, would give you plenty of traction in all the places you mentioned.
Wow! 50k out of a true mud tire?

Do they drone on the highway with extended mileage?

Is it fairly stable or squirrelly on wet paved roads?

Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
If you are concerned about mud, stay away from the AT tire class. Go straight to MT.

The Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is absolutely nothing like the Nitto Terra Grappler. I, too, have heard lots of poor reviews about the Nittos. These Falkens are the best AT tires I've ever used. I've had BFGs, Goodforayears, Hankooks, Coopers, Mastercrafts, Toyos, etc. and these Falkens blow them all away. Double so when you consider the low price on them. Got my entire set of 33s delivered to my door for $633.

Having said all that, I don't need a MT anymore so that's why they work for me. Rain, snow, gravel, highway and occasional mud is what I encounter and these tires are flawless.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations for 4x4 F-150