Fuel trouble - '92 7.3L IDI

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 08:26 AM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel trouble - '92 7.3L IDI

Good morning all,

I'm having a hell of a time with my '92 7.3L. Last weekend, I decided to finally fix the issue with the fuel tank pickups rotting away and replaced the little showerheads with new ones. Cleaned up my sending units, had the bed off and everything while I was down there.

The problem is, now I cant get it to drive!

I have been able to get it started (which was an ordeal - battery cables, two batteries, and a starter later!). I cannot seem to get it to actually drive without stumbling/hickupping/surging like crazy. Cant get it to go over 35-40MPH. I have noticed at idle that no fuel comes out of the schrader valve at the filter head - and I have installed clear lines to observe air in the fuel at the return line/filter head hose and injection pump/return line hose. I do not see fuel coming out of the orifice fitting at the filter head through the hose either. Any ideas??? I am at a loss. I replaced my mechanical lift pump through this, and I have blown out the lines for restrictions as well to see if they were restricted. I have a video of the truck running as well.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Are all of the fuel lines/hoses in good condition? You can actually get air intrusion through the fuel hoses if they are deteriorated.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Olds64
Are all of the fuel lines/hoses in good condition? You can actually get air intrusion through the fuel hoses if they are deteriorated.
I have double hose clamps on all the connections with them. I'm hoping it isnt something I've already replaced.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH
I have double hose clamps on all the connections with them. I'm hoping it isnt something I've already replaced.

Even if you have double hose clamps on a fuel hose going into the lift pump, if the fuel hose is 30 years old you will get air intrusion through the hose itself. Make sure all the hoses have been replaced.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 AM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Even if you have double hose clamps on a fuel hose going into the lift pump, if the fuel hose is 30 years old you will get air intrusion through the hose itself. Make sure all the hoses have been replaced.

I have replaced them - I have even tried running it straight out of a tank.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Hmmm...

You mentioned that you just replaced the lift pump. If you feed the fuel IN to the lift pump from a jerry can and there still isn't fuel coming from the schraeder valve at the fuel filter head then perhaps there's a restriction between the lift pump and fuel filter head. Did you blow out that line as well? Did you replace your fuel line olives?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Hmmm...

You mentioned that you just replaced the lift pump. If you feed the fuel IN to the lift pump from a jerry can and there still isn't fuel coming from the schraeder valve at the fuel filter head then perhaps there's a restriction between the lift pump and fuel filter head. Did you blow out that line as well? Did you replace your fuel line olives?

I did not - I was just thinking where else this problem could be steming from. I already remember a few months back, that I refilled the tank while the truck was running and I was getting bubbles out of the heater element connector on the head - I was not able to get the connector off though! It is really on there. I am thinking about going through this whole top end again for intrusion.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:16 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The fuel heater are bad about leaking at the electrical connection. There are serveral threads on it. It purpose is to keep warm but it only works with key on. Unless you are in a real cold climate may not need it

Old 12-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
You may be able to disassemble the fuel heater connection by soaking it with cleaner daily for a week or more. Use an old toothbrush and clean the grime off of it so your cleaner of choice can penetrate better. I was able to get the glow plug controller out of the driver's head by using plenty of PB Blaster and PATIENCE. Give Simple Green a try. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 AM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
What do you guys think of the no-fuel-in-filter thing? That part just doesnt make any sense. It's like there is a vacuum on the head - which I know the injection pump can create but it shouldnt exist.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:47 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Good afternoon all,

Figured it out (to an extent).
Took the fuel line before the lift pump and blew it out thoroughly with an air compressor.

Got great results! Truck ran great. I blew whatever sediment/restriction back into the tank

And about 5 miles down the road, I was right back where I started

So I'm going to order two new tanks to rid myself of this trash.. Has anyone got a good link to swapping in a Bronco rear tank?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Unless you really want to go through a tank swap consider restoring the tanks in the truck. This stuff works great. I've used it on my Olds and on my truck. You can probably restore any tank as long as you aren't way up north where the salt made the tank look like swiss cheese.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/poi-49239

Old 12-15-2017, 10:34 AM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Unless you really want to go through a tank swap consider restoring the tanks in the truck. This stuff works great. I've used it on my Olds and on my truck. You can probably restore any tank as long as you aren't way up north where the salt made the tank look like swiss cheese.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/poi-49239
Thank you for the input - I have in the past restored tanks ( namely my '62 Benz) where I couldnt get a good replacement. For the price of that restoration kit I purchased a brand new 38 gallon fuel tank shipped - it just makes more sense for the money.

See the tank here @ ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231020763763

Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
That's awesome that the tank is so cheap. I thought they were more expensive. Let us know how the install goes.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:51 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
That's awesome that the tank is so cheap. I thought they were more expensive. Let us know how the install goes.
I was pleasantly surprised as well. They should be here by wednesday - I may do a full write up on the subject.

Quick Reply: Fuel trouble - '92 7.3L IDI