6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ticking/Clicking Noise after I turn off engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:13 PM
efiguero
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ticking/Clicking Noise after I turn off engine.

Ok first off, new to Diesel engines, so not up on the component terms etc, so please excuse my ignorance. Still learning here lol. Anyhow, I have a new to me 2003 Excursion with a 6.0 with 127K, seems to run fine, starts up fine etc. My only question is that when I turn it off, I here a ticking/clicking noise going for about 30 to 40 seconds after I turn it off and then it stops. It sounds similar to the noise of when I go to start it and wait for the coil icon to light up and go away before I start it. Sounds to be coming from the front drivers side, but I could be mistaken, I have not really traced the noise as it goes away fairly quick. I hope I explained that right, anyhow is this normal or any idea of what might be causing it. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:50 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like your truck still has an old flash that cycles the injectors on shut down.
What you are describing sounds like what most folks call injector "clatter", and it's normal to hear that.

I don't know a ton about all the different flashes, strategies, etc but I have read plenty about the inductive heat strategy being hard on the FICM.

Someone else will likely chime in here, but I'm guessing it will be advised to get the most recent flash programmed in the truck, something a dealer can do.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:31 PM
efiguero
Senior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Sounds like your truck still has an old flash that cycles the injectors on shut down.
What you are describing sounds like what most folks call injector "clatter", and it's normal to hear that.

I don't know a ton about all the different flashes, strategies, etc but I have read plenty about the inductive heat strategy being hard on the FICM.

Someone else will likely chime in here, but I'm guessing it will be advised to get the most recent flash programmed in the truck, something a dealer can do.
Hmm, ok a flash, how could I research this? Look up injector clatter? I’m assuming the dealer would charge to flash it is assume, wonder how much? Thanks for the info. If anyone else has more info I’d greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:28 PM
efiguero
Senior User
Bump, any others with input?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:41 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by efiguero
Hmm, ok a flash, how could I research this? Look up injector clatter? I’m assuming the dealer would charge to flash it is assume, wonder how much? Thanks for the info. If anyone else has more info I’d greatly appreciate it.
Ford used the program you have to help eliminate stiction by cycling the spool valves in the injector to help clean the oil off the spool valve so it wouldn’t stick on a cold start and on cold start would help to heat the coil to loosen the valve from the suction of oil to the coil.

You really have two options well I guess three 1-keep the strategy 2- have the dealer flash it could be around 150-200$ or 3- call FICMrepair.com and get a rental tuner and install the atlas 40 tune.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
....or anyone who has their own IDS (Ford's diagnostic scan tool) like myself, who would only charge a fraction of what the dealership would charge.

If your truck still has that old of a calibration strategy (around 2006 I believe is when what's called the "post engine shutdown injector buzz" strategy is what Ford officially called it), then it's a pretty good sign this truck hasn't been worked on that much at all, meaning it likely hasn't had any problems necessitating the use of a scan tool in all those years passed.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:58 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Well, at a Ford dealer or service garage with the service.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:23 PM
efiguero
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
....or anyone who has their own IDS (Ford's diagnostic scan tool) like myself, who would only charge a fraction of what the dealership would charge.

If your truck still has that old of a calibration strategy (around 2006 I believe is when what's called the "post engine shutdown injector buzz" strategy is what Ford officially called it), then it's a pretty good sign this truck hasn't been worked on that much at all, meaning it likely hasn't had any problems necessitating the use of a scan tool in all those years passed.
Thanks for the info, makes sense, apparently it was owned by a medical transportation company and it was used to transport doctors or something. It was fleet maintained meticulously according to the person I bought it from. It was very clean and runs well from what I can tell. It has stickers in the engine bay noting when the coolant and transmission fluids were changed which was at 99,000k and it currently has 127k. So I’m hoping it’s a good one. I’m going to start bulletproofing next week, have a mechanic friend that’s familiar with 6.0s and familiar with the bulletproofing process. So if I install an SCT live wire with a tune will that alter the flash or is that something completely different? Oh also how concerned should I be about updating the flash? Is this something I should take care soon?

Old 12-13-2017, 08:55 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Thanks for the info, makes sense, apparently it was owned by a medical transportation company and it was used to transport doctors or something. It was fleet maintained meticulously according to the person I bought it from. It was very clean and runs well from what I can tell. It has stickers in the engine bay noting when the coolant and transmission fluids were changed which was at 99,000k and it currently has 127k. So I’m hoping it’s a good one. I’m going to start bulletproofing next week, have a mechanic friend that’s familiar with 6.0s and familiar with the bulletproofing process. So if I install an SCT live wire with a tune will that alter the flash or is that something completely different? Oh also how concerned should I be about updating the flash? Is this something I should take care soon?
An SCT tuner will alter the parameters of the current PCM strategy. If you decide to have the PCM reflashed to the most up to date and current strategy after, you will need to have the SCT tuner re-written to work with the updated PCM strategy after the reflash, as far as I know. Having said that, you should have your PCM reflashed first, before you obtain your SCT tuner.

My personal opinion, is if there aren't any issues with the truck at present, just have the PCM reflash done and leave well enough alone. Don't go digging inside the engine if there's nothing wrong with it. But at the end of the day, it's your truck so it's entirely up to you what you'd like to do with it. Also, 2003 model year 6.0L diesel engines have a low, to non-existent failure rate of the EGR cooler so that's something to consider.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:12 PM
efiguero
Senior User
An SCT tuner will alter the parameters of the current PCM strategy. If you decide to have the PCM reflashed to the most up to date and current strategy after, you will need to have the SCT tuner re-written to work with the updated PCM strategy after the reflash, as far as I know. Having said that, you should have your PCM reflashed first, before you obtain your SCT tuner.

My personal opinion, is if there aren't any issues with the truck at present, just have the PCM reflash done and leave well enough alone. Don't go digging inside the engine if there's nothing wrong with it. But at the end of the day, it's your truck so it's entirely up to you what you'd like to do with it. Also, 2003 model year 6.0L diesel engines have a low, to non-existent failure rate of the EGR cooler so that's something to consider.
Hmm, understood, thanks for the info!

Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just remember there is a PCM strategy and a FICM strategy. The sound you are hearing is coming from the FICM strategy.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by FiznUKa
Just remember there is a PCM strategy and a FICM strategy. The sound you are hearing is coming from the FICM strategy.
When a PCM is either reflashed or new one installed and programmed on any 6.0L diesel, the IDS will automatically go through the reprogramming for the FICM as well as the TCM (even on manual transmission equipped vehicles that don't have a TCM).

Old 12-13-2017, 10:45 PM
efiguero
Senior User
Now I’m second guessing doing the bulletproofing, I’m way to familiar with messing with something that wasn’t broken and coming out worse than I started with. I assumed this was the best option to ensure longevity of the 6.0 as we’re hoping to have this thing for many years to come and is the reason we went diesel. I’ve already purchased the parts ($$$) and would lose a good chunk of change on return shipping and restocking fees..decisions decisions..

Old 12-14-2017, 05:35 PM
efiguero
Senior User
So I dropped off my Excursion at the local dealership to get it flashed. They’re charging me one hour at $140 (damn one hour!). By the way how can I verify they actually flashed it aside from the ticking going away (hope it does)?

Old 12-15-2017, 05:40 PM
efiguero
Senior User
So I have to echo what many always say about this site, this site is awesome! Thank you all that chimed in about the old Flash, after getting the new flash it fixed the injector buzz after turning off the ignition. I asked for an Oasis report and according to the report the last flash was in 2007. Also my service manager although a very nice lady must not be up on the flashing. I asked her if they had done the PCN, TCM, and FICM and she said no, only the PCM, if I wanted all it would be an hour for each ($140 an Hour) so I was a bit bummed and annoyed at that. However she said that her mechanic said all was good after he did the PCM and not to be worried. When I looked at the receipt I noticed the notes stated the mechanic had programed the PCM, TCM, and the FICM to the latest calibrations using IDs Level 108.01 (Not sure what the last part means) but was glad to see all three included. Sure enough when I shut the engine off there was no more injector buzz so I was happy. Not to mention that I asked them to do a 4 wheel alignment since I had gotten new wheels, tires, and shocks and they quoted me $159 since it was a Super Duty vehicle, but I found a coupon on their site for a $59.99 alignment and they honored it so I guess I got lucky. All and all, I got out of the stealership for $199 with a new flash and 4 wheel alignment, not sure if that is good or not but I am happy for the moment. Again, thanks, if it was not for this group I would not have known my issue was related to an out of date flash configuration.

Quick Reply: Ticking/Clicking Noise after I turn off engine.