1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Interior light power draw question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM
kgmkgm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior light power draw question

I'm looking into removing my rear interior light, and swapping it into some LED strip lighting so I can illuminate the main quarter better. I just put a floor in, it'll be a little mini camper / moto tote / party rocker van.

Does anyone have the spec on the power draw to those rear lights? Any issue with pulling slightly more, or anything like that? They will never be on for very long, maybe 10-15 minutes at most so I'm not worried about a second battery but would like more even lighting in back, and lighting up the high top area better.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 324 Likes on 294 Posts
The rear lights are standard incandescent bulbs I assume? If you put you meter in the socket, it should test out at 12V.

So depending on how much LED lighting strips you plan on installing.

Each foot uses 2.2 watts. Add the amount of feet together, multiply by 2.2, and you have the wattage used. You should add 20% more room in the power supply so take the wattage, and divide by .8 to get the power supply needed.

So if you have a total of 3 foot of LED strip, 2.2x3= 6.6 / .8 = 8.25

Old 11-28-2017, 11:31 AM
kgmkgm
Junior User
Yeah I imagine it's a 12V, it's standard interior lighting right now with the little hotdog lights that click in. I was planning on tearing the entire assembly out and using the stock wires the best I can. I'm not trying to spend a ton.

Each foot of LED uses 2.2? So 12V x 15 amp typical breaker for those lights = 180 wattage? I don't plan on using that much since that is a huge amount of light, I just want some spread out light in the back so it is brighter and smoother light.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:45 AM
kgmkgm
Junior User
I suppose I can also put an inline fuse in, and run a power line right off the battery terminal, and keep my interior lights on a separate fuse?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 324 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by kgmkgm
Yeah I imagine it's a 12V, it's standard interior lighting right now with the little hotdog lights that click in. I was planning on tearing the entire assembly out and using the stock wires the best I can. I'm not trying to spend a ton.

Each foot of LED uses 2.2? So 12V x 15 amp typical breaker for those lights = 180 wattage? I don't plan on using that much since that is a huge amount of light, I just want some spread out light in the back so it is brighter and smoother light.
a 1 foot strip of LED lights uses 2.2 watts. I wouldn't assume you're going to use more than 3 feet of total LED's back there, but basically you're looking at a total of about 8.25 volts so a 10 amp fuse is more than enough.

You could also try looking for LED bulbs that plug into the existing sockets so you don't have to remove the original fixtures.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 AM
kgmkgm
Junior User
Yeah I just don't want to have a single 500 lumen source, I'd rather dump it out to a few smaller ones so that it lights up nicer / no hot spots visually.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 PM
dieseldogtom
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just replaced my rear interior light with an LED. It makes a nice (white) light instead of the dull yellowish color of the incandescent. I got a style that fit the existing (terminals). Got them from China (5 for something like a dollar!). You might try that before you do much else. I also replaced the dome light up in front center. With both on it is nice and brighter than before. BUT, I have run into one aggravating issue. They sometimes start to "flicker". One other thing. I also picked up some LED's from Wallyworld (before) I got these. Admittedly they were designed to be forward mounted out front (outside) accessory lights. but still slim line and small size. Again, like you I wanted more light in the back. Finally got around to mounting them. Had to aim them up at the ceiling because otherwise you go blind if you just glance at them directly. Point is..Make sure whatever you install is nit going to screw up you eyeball rods & cones! LOL Good luck,,,,,,,, DDT

Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 PM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The flickering is from the LED's internal current limiter breaking down (heat from prolonged use, high charge voltage, etc) and you usually see this in cheaper components. I only mention this so you wont condemn a switch or wiring.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:44 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Here’s what I put in

Sorry about the bungee cord in the foreground. I took the pic while driving
and the big blue barrel blocks the actuality of how well mine is lit up. It is very very good lighting when used in the dark, and yet dim enough that it’s completely useless during the daylight. It is harsh on the eyes if you look directly at it for a few seconds, but it’s not out of place.

If you all like like what I have I’ll get more specifics.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:00 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by dieseldogtom
BUT, I have run into one aggravating issue. They sometimes start to "flicker".
It's more than likely you are seeing alternator or battery voltage fluctuation that you wouldn't normally see with an incandescent light. LED's respond almost instantaneously to voltage changes.

Get your alternator checked, and check the battery voltage after the engine has been off for a few minutes. Should be 12.6 volts for a fully-charged battery.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 PM
wizzy214
Tuned
I have led strips in my van, dissconnected the bulbs have these instead lights up outside so you can work too. Barely any batt draw, ive left them on all weekend and still van started.
ill find a pic, cost like 3.50 each strip 3ft

Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike1
a 1 foot strip of LED lights uses 2.2 watts. I wouldn't assume you're going to use more than 3 feet of total LED's back there, but basically you're looking at a total of about 8.25 volts so a 10 amp fuse is more than enough.

You could also try looking for LED bulbs that plug into the existing sockets so you don't have to remove the original fixtures.
huh?
2.2 watts @ 12v = about .6 amps for 3 ft.
Or simply, .183333333 amps per ft.

a single interior bulb is about 26 watts which is just over 2 amps

stock wires and fuses will handle it just fine

Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 PM
wizzy214
Tuned
I have 10 strips of 3 fters, tiny, but bright leds.
ill take a pic tom, could only find this one.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzy214
I have 10 strips of 3 fters, tiny, but bright leds.
that's about 6 amps

Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM
kennyfzj80
Senior User
I can't imaging LED strips significantly draining the capacity on a car battery unless you left it on for a day or 2. LEDs draw very little, its the whole point of them.

What we did was install a dimmer on the leds and just use it on low most of the time. We can see everything pretty clear and if we need more lights, we just turn on the bulbs.

What kind of battery are you using?

Quick Reply: Interior light power draw question