6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Even the Ford dealer doesn't know

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:40 AM
yasky69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even the Ford dealer doesn't know

2007 F-350

So, I had this ongoing problem for over a year know. Truck sits overnight, it starts in the morning and until it comes up to operating temp, if you go to put it into Drive it stalls right out. Sometimes when trying to go into Reverse but not all the time.

Tranny fluid was changed and levels are good

I've pulled live data on it and the Ford dealer did as well.
I always thought maybe it was the TCC or PSI solenoid in the transmission. I asked the dealer to look into that. He told me he put the scanner on it and the PID's were reading as they should even during this stall out.

The only thing his live data caught was just a quick drop in the IPR just before it stalled. But was happening very quickly and coming right back up.

I agreed to have the IPR changed and try it. Called me this morning and still does the same thing. I told him to stop right there. We aren't going any further at this point. To easy to drop a ton of money into it and still not be fixed.

Once up to temp its fine.

With every reading ok in live data, good fuel pressure, and the tranny solenoids appearing to be fine is there something I'm missing? Any more ideas maybe?

TIA

Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Sound like a torque converter locking up when cold.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:49 AM
yasky69
Senior User
no real way to test that?

Old 11-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
i agree sounds more like something in the transmission and think excurville hit the nail on the head... my guess would be the TQ converter locking up as well while its cold and stalling you out.. pressure test might give you an idea but cant say for sure.. may need to ask Mark on that one..

i always get leary when people say their tranny fluid was just changed and new filters... so my 2 questions would be, was the problem there before that was done too?? and do you know what it was actually filled with??

Old 11-16-2017, 12:18 PM
yasky69
Senior User
Tranny fluid was done 6 months ago, the problem has been going on for over a year. Since I've owned it (3 years I think) all fluids have been done by my local ford dealer

Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
ok.. then they used the right fluid. im always leery when people say transmission fluid was changed especially when they do it themselfs.. mainly because to many think all fluids are the same when this tranny is highly picky over what goes in it... but since the dealer did yours thats not the case here then... and since the problem was there prior to it being changed that also eliminates the change as being part of the problem..

I shot a message to Mark with a link to the thread. will see when he pops his head in. just thought of someone else to shoot one too.. see who will get here first..

Old 11-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by yasky69
I asked the dealer to look into that. He told me he put the scanner on it and the PID's were reading as they should even during this stall out.
All that proves is that the dealer doesn't know how to diagnose this. I could have told you before checking this that the PIDs will read correctly. The PIDs are not showing what is happening inside the transmission, they are showing what the computer is telling the transmission to do.

A much better test would be to put an actual pressure gauge in the pressure test port. See if the pressure drops when the problem occurs.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM
yasky69
Senior User
That's what I thought to, the PID's were only the signal to the tranny. As I explained that to it, he kept assuring me they were working. Once again only shows sometimes you better off doing yourself. Picking up the truck today so I'll just do it.
thanks for your reply.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:19 PM
yasky69
Senior User
I had a chance to play with it today and bit. Ended up dropping transmission pan and replacing the TCC and Pressure Solenoid. Refill.
On start up engine temp was still some what warm at 100 degrees. Put into Reverse and was running, put into drive stalled right out.Restarted the truck.

When in an out of gears and still had random stalls going into reverse or drive.
Looks like I'm just gonna have to live with it.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:30 AM
yasky69
Senior User
I recorded my cold start this morning. . I couldn't figure out how to embed the youtube video. For those interested please take a look. This may be more than a tranny issue..

Old 11-25-2017, 10:13 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
You’re starting to throw parts.

Two things I would watch you you put it in gear, one the pressure guage that Mark posts ago mentioned to install and your system reference voltage to see if that alters when put in gear, as a swag.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:42 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So... to re-cap... it might not be a tranny issue... when you load the engine at idle (turning the steering wheel) it dies too. I would stick with turning the steering wheel as your test parameter.

Does it die when you press really hard on the brake pedal a few times and nothing else?

Start it in neutral and set the e-brake and then try shifting it to reverse or drive... does that change anything?

I am wondering if this might be a PS pump issue.

And error codes for glow plugs? When it's idling while cold, try wiggling the various harnesses to see if it dies.

Not sure where to go with this one but I generally like to start with the basics.

Richard

Old 11-25-2017, 12:01 PM
yasky69
Senior User
I agree, I am throwing parts at it. That's why I told the Ford dealer to stop. The solenoids have been on my mind for over a year and just needed to get passed that, so I went ahead an put new ones in.

The gauge for the transmission I don't have but did order one and will have it in a few days. I would like to properly test the pressures.

Interesting the PS Pump was brought up. I noticed a leak coming from it from down below yesterday. I looked around and can't see where its leaking from however.

I can't test again until tomorrow morning, but will try it the way suggested since now I'm curious.

No, I'm not getting any error codes and NO stored DTC's

Old 11-26-2017, 08:51 AM
yasky69
Senior User
Here is todays morning cold start. Gets interesting, Seems like my voltage is low. Will do a battery test and Alt test today.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Was the voltage different for the year you’ve had the truck? Because that’s pretty typical of a truck with a 110a alternator after cold start with the glow plugs on. The starter speed is fine so I don’t see the battery concern. But if you have a 140a alternator or better, then I’d be hunting electrical.

Instead of bouncing the SG for me it would be more interesting to see what the sensor reference voltage tracks when it stalls since you don’t have a pressure gauge yet.

Quick Reply: Even the Ford dealer doesn't know