2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Sync 3 Touch Screen Updates for 2018+?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:05 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 385 Likes on 215 Posts
Sync 3 Touch Screen Updates for 2018+?

I'm in the States for a few weeks and had a 2017 Mustang with Ecoboost rental with Sync 3 (it was all they had...was supposed to get a compact). As you know, the Sync 3 screen is a matte finish type which requires a good bit of pressure to activate the different buttons/selections.

Well, I got rear-ended yesterday. The rental car company was awesome to work with and they swapped the Mustang out for a 2018 Dodge Charger Hemi with 153 miles on it.

The Charger has the updated 8.4 UConnect with a glass/smartphone type of screen which works with very light touches and is much easier to negotiate all the buttons, etc. Makes the Sync 3 feel very dated.

So, does anyone know if or when we should expect such an updated screen from Ford? Do the 2018 Fords that are on the roads now have updated Sync 3 screens?

To clarify, I'm only talking about the touch screen itself, not the specific programming of either system. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2017, 07:46 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2018 Ford Super Duty trucks haven't landed yet.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm glad my Sync screen has the matte finish. I'm constantly cleaning fingerprints and smudges off my glass phone screen. Every little touch on the phone leaves a mark. Glare is also an issue with something you can't tilt to avoid it like a dashboard gauge.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by shortride
The 2018 Ford Super Duty trucks haven't landed yet.
Yes, I know. But the F-150s and other 2018 models have. Plus, some folks here are more in the know than others, like me.

Originally Posted by blueglide
I'm glad my Sync screen has the matte finish. I'm constantly cleaning fingerprints and smudges off my glass phone screen. Every little touch on the phone leaves a mark. Glare is also an issue with something you can't tilt to avoid it like a dashboard gauge.
Fair enough. I got the Charger last night, so to be sure I haven't had the chance to run it through its paces in bright ambient light and look for issues with glare. However, that's not to say that matte screens don't also have issues with smudging. They do, and often quite severely, and I also don't believe the matte screens are as durable as the glass screens. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:00 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by blueglide
While this topic has obviously garnered little interest, I do want to circle back around to clarify that the 8.4 UConnect does in fact have a matte screen. No glare at all, but it definitely taps like a smartphone screen and is extremely smooth.

This is an update for the 2018 FCA vehicles, and I'm still looking for any information regarding this type of improvement for the Ford Sync 3 hardware.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:08 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A fair amount of pressure? The sync 3 screens are just like touch screens, no pressure needed. Plus if you get the nushield screen protector, it takes care of the finger prints.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
A fair amount of pressure? The sync 3 screens are just like touch screens, no pressure needed. Plus if you get the nushield screen protector, it takes care of the finger prints.
In my experience, yes, especially as compared to a smartphone or tablet screen. While I don't own a Ford, I do have several months in rentals with Sync 3. It hasn't always been as responsive to my touch as I personally wished, sometimes having to re-tap with a little more pressure. This was much more apparent to me when I turned the Ford in and received the Dodge, using the two systems back to back.

But this isn't a Ford bashing thread, nor am I trying to pimp the UConnect. I'm not unhappy with the Sync 3, but simply curious to see if anyone had any info on expected improvements to the Ford system. That is all.

As for fingerprints, they do not concern me. If the screen gets dirty, I'll just clean it.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Dalingrin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not consider reducing the pressure required for touch an enhancement. My other vehicle has a super sensitive glass touch screen and I find it more annoying to use on average. Accidental touches from bumps, etc wind up causing me to select things I didn't mean to. I much prefer the Sync 3 system because it tends to require deliberate touches to select things. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it takes a ton of pressure, it is still a capacitive screen vs a resistive touch screen.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Of course, there are preferences all around regarding this. Not saying I have a preference (yet), but my question is sort of, "What's Ford's preference?"

As I spend more time with the UConnect, I may have similar experiences as you.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:49 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
You had me at "... While this topic has obviously garnered little interest ..."

*yawn*

Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by roadpilot
You had me at "... While this topic has obviously garnered little interest ..."

*yawn*

Yeah, it's tough when you try to have a discussion about something other than lifts, wheels, tires, and deleting.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:29 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by kry226
Yeah, it's tough when you try to have a discussion about something other than lifts, wheels, tires, and deleting.

I've been (back) on here for a week since purchasing my F350 can't recall reading a single post about lifts, wheels or tires. Only one about deleting. Meh.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
I've been (back) on here for a week since purchasing my F350 can't recall reading a single post about lifts, wheels or tires. Only one about deleting. Meh.
I wouldn't exactly call that having a finger on the pulse of the forums.

Now if anyone has any pertinent info on the topic or something to contribute...yeah, that'd be great.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:00 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by kry226
I wouldn't exactly call that having a finger on the pulse of the forums.

Now if anyone has any pertinent info on the topic or something to contribute...yeah, that'd be great.
Its speaks to the fact that your claim that every post here is about lifts, tires, wheels and deleting and nothing else is complete nonsense.

Based on the lack of response to your original post, I think we've already established the fact that nobody appears care about phone-like touch screens in Sync3.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Its speaks to the fact that your claim that every post here is about lifts, tires, wheels and deleting and nothing else is complete nonsense.
Apparently you missed the wink in my original reply to your unimpressive and rude comment. And you continue to show everyone how much of a jerk you are, without adding anything constructive to the thread at all. Actually, you did a great job of jacking it up. Much obliged.

Based on the lack of response to your original post, I think we've already established the fact that nobody appears care about phone-like touch screens in Sync3.
Noted. Yet you posted. Thanks again for not being interested. You good to move along now?

Quick Reply: Sync 3 Touch Screen Updates for 2018+?