Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2018 F-150 5.0 Oil separator/CatchCan

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:08 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 F-150 5.0 Oil separator/CatchCan

I know how controversial this is but #1. I don't care, I did it anyway. #2. Don't do it if you feel it's not necessary.

I installed a Ford Performance Oil Separator pt# M-6766-A50 for a Ford Coyote 5.0-5.2 on my new F-150. It had 101 miles when installed. According to a Ford tech it will fit a F-150, but as I found out not a 2018. With the additional fuel rails and hoses blocking the front of the right side cam cover I had to find another place. For me it was the battery box lip. I made a flat aluminum plate which conformed to the separator top and battery box stiffeners which attached using the plastic rivets which came with the unit and the Allen screws holding the unit together. Took me about an hour or so even waiting for the paint to dry on the bracket/plate I made.

One of the hoses worked as is and I made up the longer one by purchasing a few from Rock-Auto # KCV-283; I cut it shorter and slipped the end on by using a heat gun. I also needed to reform it slightly also using the gun. I choose to do this as the other supplied one could have been cut and a reinforced 1/2" hose used.

I've included to photos showing the line as installed from the factory and one showing what I did. I bought the kit from Summit and researched different Ford PCV lines by photos on Rock-Auto. I've also a YouTube videos showing it installed.

Stock line

Separator installed

Old 10-07-2017, 07:40 AM
1 Alibi 2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock hose on the 18 is different than the one on my 17 5.0.
I installed the same air/oil separator that I used on both of my GT500's, Jegs.
As with previous installs, I spliced the Jegs unit into the factory hose.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy-six

I know how controversial this is but #1. I don't care, I did it anyway. #2. Don't do it if you feel it's not necessary.

I installed a Ford Performance Oil Separator pt# M-6766-A50 for a Ford Coyote 5.0-5.2 on my new F-150. It had 101 miles when installed.
1) I believe in oil vapor separators

2) Just a thought-

When you do this you are tampering with FED/STATE EMISSION LAW. Depending on where you live, this may fail a visual inspection (smog).

If you have engine trouble(s) and take it into the dealer for warranty, it may be questioned that with the modification(s) the dealer (and/or FORD rep) may deny any claim.

Not yelling and the sky is not falling. Just a reminder.

* This oil-air separator is a must have for any track enthusiast!

Not all Ford Performance Parts may be installed on vehicles that are driven on public roads.

Click here for more information about compliance with emissions standards- https://performanceparts.ford.com/emissions-compliance/
But it is a clean install and looks OEM...

Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 AM
onug
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
I think more posts need to start with this disclaimer.

Nice looking install. Glad to see someone throwing these onto their engines. Please keep us posted on what kind of junk you collect, your driving conditions and any truck mods. I’m still pondering one and it help us all to have actual results to review.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:05 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suppose in the absence of anything useful to do, like trim your nose hairs or scream obscenities at people going into the '10 Items or Less' express lane with 11 items, this would occupy your time.

j/k

mostly

Old 10-07-2017, 05:10 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
I am totally aware of the law concerning the tampering of Emissions devices especially here in California where I live. Under normal circumstances here the first time an inspection station will see it is in 5 yrs and if a new law goes thru in 2018 it will be 8 yrs. The original line is under the rear seat with the Allen wrench taped to it to remove the unit and if I have problems and towed to a dealership somewhere in the US it will be gone prior to a tow truck showing up.

As for catch cans in general 1. My dealers fleet manager who sold me my last 2 trucks has on on his wife's car, still under warranty. 2. At a car getogether this morning there were 6 Mustangs all very late model from 5.0's 5.2's and supercharged and they ALL had catch cans and none were Ford Performance. Most had been on since new and all had oil I them every time they were checked, I asked.

I've also changed the line going to the intake from the separator keeping a lower profile and changed the photo. I will be showing the first check and the mileage.

Anybody ever put gauges on a "A" piller, lowered a vehicle, raised a truck, changed a tire size from stock, or added a Gibson or other exhaust? All illegal in California. I'm not worried but it should have been stated.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 PM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I confess hereby that I'm not totally understanding of the EPA issue, so I'll ask and stir the pot.

The point of the PCV is to vent the vapors back to combustion, and not to atmosphere. But the vapor path is NOT altered with a catch can. The vapors are condensed and liquids removed, but the "path" is not changed. The routing stays the same. So where's the rub?

In theory, one could claim that one is trying to catch the oil so it can be reintroduced back into the crankcase! (I'm not advocating this by any means, but it could be argued that one is only catching the condensed oil vapor to reclaim it for use, rather than "burn" it in combustion).

The catch can, in my mind, does not alter the intent of PCV. That vapor path is intact with a catch can in place. Does the EPA mandate that the vapors be burned, or just not vented to atmosphere?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
dnewton, all good points but unless you are at a compliance referee pleading your case is all going on a deaf politicians ears.

The major rub with these is MAINTENANCE period. They should be checked at least every 500 miles until a constant is set. Every supercharged vehicle should have one of them.

This why they have never been installed by the factories. If you are on this site or at car gatherings you are a "car guy" and understand what is expected. The general public could not be sold these. For all 3 of the ones I've ordered(Summit, Amazon) I had to declare they would not be used on a vehicle on a public Highway. I declare they are being place on an exempt vehicle.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:29 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by dnewton3

I confess hereby that I'm not totally understanding of the EPA issue, so I'll ask and stir the pot.

The point of the PCV is to vent the vapors back to combustion, and not to atmosphere. But the vapor path is NOT altered with a catch can. The vapors are condensed and liquids removed, but the "path" is not changed. The routing stays the same. So where's the rub?

In theory, one could claim that one is trying to catch the oil so it can be reintroduced back into the crankcase! (I'm not advocating this by any means, but it could be argued that one is only catching the condensed oil vapor to reclaim it for use, rather than "burn" it in combustion).

The catch can, in my mind, does not alter the intent of PCV. That vapor path is intact with a catch can in place. Does the EPA mandate that the vapors be burned, or just not vented to atmosphere?
The reason(s) being that each vehicle/engine asm must pass a Federal/State mandated emissions test and each vehicle/engine asm is then certified to be sold to the public. No modifications are allowed after the fact unless that particular modification has been certified.

I can understand the reasoning. I also understand keeping gross polluters off the highways.

The reason I responded to the post is to try and inform others the possible consequences of such an action. It makes no difference to me personally.

Now please excuse me as I need to go find a tree to hug...

Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-08-2017, 10:45 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Talking

Originally Posted by The Big Tow

Be in a world of hurt if it decides to chase a rabbit...

Old 10-09-2017, 02:00 AM
JKBrad
Received 814 Likes on 598 Posts
I have 3 of those. They hunt up everything they can and bring me proof of their skill now and then. Great little dogs that think they're big dogs.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
I've haven't said anything about the Ford Performance oil separator I installed on my 2018 5.0 Lariat. I'm closing in on 1000 miles and checked it today. I made a video of it that can be found on YouTube (search oil sepatator 2018) and you can see it. I was quite surprised to see 1 tablespoon of oil in it which I show on the video.

It made a believer out of me and ill continue to monitor it at oil changes from now on.

I'm sure there are some amount of vapors entering the intake system even with one of these installed on the engine and right now it maybe just a "feel good" deal but I'm happy with the results.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:49 PM
onug
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That’s pretty nasty...

Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 PM
1 Alibi 2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the above video pretty much explains why the factory doesn't install them.
I would also say that the amount of oil vapors in the catch can after less than 1K miles, would indicate a need.
I've installed ( 3 ) Jegs separators so far, & they are all doing what they are designed to do.....& you can see when they need to be emptied......& require no tools to do so..

Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 5.0 Oil separator/CatchCan