1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Super Crew bed on regular cab truck???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Crew bed on regular cab truck???

Has anyone converted a regular cab F150 (regardless of original bed) to a super crew bed (5.5 ft) to shorten wheelbase etc??? I've looked on web, site, & youtube... NOTHING I could find.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure why anyone would bother since the Flareside bed has almost identical style with the correct length for a short bed chassis.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:52 PM
blupupher
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Not sure why anyone would bother since the Flareside bed has almost identical style with the correct length for a short bed chassis.
Exactly.
You can take a flare side bed, remove 6 bolts, unplug some wiring harnesses, disconnect fuel fill and remove old bed, then install. Just a few hours.

Or you can get a supercrew bed, remove old bed, then decide where in the frame you want to cut, then adjust everything affected by the cut you just made (suspension mounts, fuel tank mounts, bumper mounts, relocating bed mounts, rerunning wires) as well as having a possible weaker frame due to the welds if not done correctly. All for a shorter bed than stock.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:34 AM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
To make a truck with a foot (or so ) shorter wheel base and overall length. Like a Bronco length compared to a regular cab short bed. Off-roading or expedition exploration / camping. Just a thought if any one has done it. OR the other route add a long bed to a super crew. Just thinking outside the box, per say.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but there is no box. If you need to ask how to do this project, then it is likely beyond your current skill set to accomplish successfully.

It is a lot of work, it isn't just a bolt on and drive it kind of project.
Here is a build thread of someone making a custom long bed SuperCrew. He is essentially making one truck out of 2 trucks by using a crew cab front and the rear from an extended cab.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...w-longbed.html
As you can see from his thread, it is a lot of work and he has a salvage yard full of parts to harvest what he needs.

To make a short one you would need to cut the frame and shorten everything between the cab and rear end. The stock fuel tank probably won't fit so you will need to rig up something else. Shorten the brake lines, shorten the drive shaft or have a new one made. It can be done, if you have enough cubic dollars and time and the skill set to make it happen almost anything is possible.
I have seen Super Duty race trucks with a single cab and short bed. I have also seen a big block MG driving on public streets. If you can conceive it, it can almost assuredly be done.
Or if what you want is a Bronco, you could...
buy a Bronco.
Or why not graft a first gen Expedition back half onto your single cab? Or just chop down the Expedition to cut out the middle seat and back door area?

Old 09-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Well, I wasn't asking HOW to do it I was asking IF it has been done as I have searched the web and found nothing. As far as skill set, tools, etc yeah I got that after 20+ yrs of auto body and heavy frame work. It's just a thought I had when I see the various configurations of what Ford offered vs what people create.
As far as the expedition idea it doesn't work since, like an explorer, the rear doors and quarter panels are not a straight or vertical body line. You could cut the door skin & weld to quarter to fill gap. Like you said ANYTHING can be made if you have the time, talent, and treasure.
But that wasn't the question, again the question was has anyone done it, and if so where is the link or post about it.
Thanks for the link to the super crew long bed. Reminds me of the Dodge/Ram Mega Cab long bed conversions, or various 6 door truck conversions. I've even seen a local 4 door Jeep Cherokee (not a Grand) that they cut the back off behind the doors and made a truck bed of it cutting 2 hatches (both steel) to make a tailgate and a rear bulkhead to separate the passenger compartment. I've also seen an Excursion / Superduty hybrid that looks like a Bronco and a few Suburbans cut down to a Blazer.