1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Funky visor vinyl.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Funky visor vinyl.

I purchased a pair of deluxe padded visors from Dennis Carpenter and, as you might be aware they're not inexpensive. They looked dingy when I got them but I knew I was going to dye them anyway, so I figured it would cover. Unfortunately, the defect that made them look that way, is severe porosity in the surface of the vinyl so that they still look terrible even after color coating. Has anyone had this problem or, more importantly found a padded visor of good quality?? It's not the fault of the color coat which is SEM Classic Coat, as I used the same material on the armrests and they look perfect and I have used the SEM products before, finding them to be of high quality. Photo shows the severe porosity in the material.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 551 Likes on 439 Posts
That is ugly. I think DC owes you a new pair.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:57 PM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crop Duster
That is ugly. I think DC owes you a new pair.
Maybe so, Best check with them......Like most stuff though.....you paint it,you own it.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:54 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Oh, I sent an email to Dennis Carpenter Ford Parts right away, and photos. But like any company who's namesake is not the one conducting the customer care and quality control...they have't been quick to respond. In fact, not at all. I don't really want to turn this into a rant....well, actually I do. Not to mention the fasteners I received with the wrong thread pitch, wrong size fasteners, missing components, wire loom sliced through the insulation...etc. But more to the point, I need to find some visors that are of good quality and I'm afraid that DC may be the only game in town, having their overseas contract make all that are available?!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:46 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry your having problems. Also experienced problems with some of their stuff in the past. But think you hit the nail on the head - quality control with their suppliers.
​​​​Had a friend with the same visor problem. Bad material. He ordered replacements, but same bad material.
He ended up going to the local bone yard and picked up a couple passenger side (non-lighted) mirrors, and took the visors to a local auto interior place and had them recovered. AND padded to boot. Didn't have to paint match them because they had an exact match to his seats.
My friend, you build such nice machines. Add that little touch your so good at. However, I'd still see if they'd make good - just because. :-)

Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
MR...
Kind of figured these would be the only game in town. I mostly (90%) solved the problem by laying the visors flat, spraying the color coat on heavy (until it puddled) and used a small piece of neoprene rubber as a squeegee to force and flow the coating into the porous areas. It was a little tricky to get it to look right and working quickly before it dried and it took a lot...a whole can of spray...to lay it on thick enough to look decent. Just in case anyone has to deal with these...
Interestingly, no representative from Dennis Carpenter has ever replied. I guess nobody is home there!

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Seems over past several months, I have ordered and rec'd items from Ford Supplier's, who in the past I considered offered quality merchandise but lately items arrived with 'made in xxxx' stamped on the box. Most recent MotorCraft voltage regulator with made in china printed on box, the female pins on the harness are larger than the male pins on the regulator, solution used electrical tape to secure harness to box? Also a made in china ignition switch and key assembly that lasted 2 months. Ordered replacements this a.m. and decided no longer ordering thru regular sources and try purchasing thru supplier's who claim items are NOS or OEM, pay a bit more but made to fit, if not told salesperson to expect a return package. Anyhow, had the urge to vent.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:26 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Dave:
Reading the posts here on FTE, it seems to be a common complaint. I think this is the best place to vent, as members often ask where to find quality parts. It may be the only leverage we have when demanding quality, as some of the vendors obviously don't respond to complaints. I have been very disappointed in Dennis Carpenter Ford Parts in this regard...he looks like a caring American on the catalog cover, not a cheapo overseas substitute peddler. How's that for venting, Dave!?

Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
When the old man we all admired went, the company started moving to the dark side. So much for his kids...

Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 PM
jacobn936
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Follow the $$.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM
AZ66F100
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's sad. Thing made in China - and especially auto parts - are often made so poorly they wouldn't pass any kind of quality inspection. I sure hope the business environment gets better for American manufacturers before they're all gone.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 AM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by resonateur
Dave:
Reading the posts here on FTE, it seems to be a common complaint. I think this is the best place to vent, as members often ask where to find quality parts. It may be the only leverage we have when demanding quality, as some of the vendors obviously don't respond to complaints. I have been very disappointed in Dennis Carpenter Ford Parts in this regard...he looks like a caring American on the catalog cover, not a cheapo overseas substitute peddler. How's that for venting, Dave!?
I think your public rant might be the best way to improve DC's products. We old car/truck people send them a lot of money that we could easily send to their competitors. I hope they're listening.
I have said repeatedly that I would pay two or three times as much if I could buy a part that is indistinguishable from the original. I wonder if there is an untapped market there...
Eric

Old 08-12-2017, 11:20 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
I think your public rant might be the best way to improve DC's products. We old car/truck people send them a lot of money that we could easily send to their competitors. Eric
My experience has not only been w/ a particular Ford part supplier but also other Ford part sources I have purchased from in the past. Kinda got it narrowed down to Ford part supplier and type of component I am looking for?

Old 08-13-2017, 06:41 PM
TxStang2010
Tuned
I've had issues with DC lately as well , ordered qty of 2 of the same part # and received 2 totally different looking parts , 1 fit and the other did not . I did get a response from them and they acted like i was trying to pull a fast one on them and would not correct the issue and replace it with a matched part . I have decided i will take my business and money elsewhere from now on .

Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
It's good, 'as a forum', that problems like this is discussed openly. We are a large audience and I have no doubt DC monitors this web site.

Quick Reply: Funky visor vinyl.